Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who's Imprinting in'09?

What are you going to imprint?

What strategy will you use?
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Paul:
    I have been giving a imprint a lot of thought, the biggest draw back for me is keeping the bird in the house, my daughter has allergy's real bad. If she has an attack she has to go to the hospital for a shot. She does not live at home anymore but I will just not take the chance. I would like to try a cooper hawk. I am not sure how I would do it, I would read all the post on the forum for a start.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

A goshawk (captive or wild take perhaps) OR a Cooper's hawk.. one or the other for sure..

Going to jump on the band wagon and try the tame hack.

I hope I can make Bryant a nice female goshawk to catch ducks, squirrels and snowshoes with.

Paul, I've been mulling this over for the best part of a year now... and I still don't know... if Rockette the Finnish female does the deed, I will be flying a new Fin/NA cross male...something new, never lown a mutt gos. Or maybe my natural pair of Fins will go this year...if so, it will be a full Fin. though I'm not sure of what flavor. Then there is a possiblity of a Euro spar... and if that doesn't work, maybe a new female coop, as I am leaning on making a breeding pair.
    Which ever one ..it will be imprinted and tame hacked, got some new idea to try..
    Barry

Oh and I keep getting these calls from guys offering HHs, but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on one yet?

How about you?
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    Paul, I've been mulling this over for the best part of a year now... and I still don't know... if Rockette the Finnish female does the deed, I will be flying a new Fin/NA cross male...something new, never lown a mutt gos. Or maybe my natural pair of Fins will go this year...if so, it will be a full Fin. though I'm not sure of what flavor. Then there is a possiblity of a Euro spar... and if that doesn't work, maybe a new female coop, as I am leaning on making a breeding pair.
    Which ever one ..it will be imprinted and tame hacked, got some new idea to try..
    Barry

Oh and I keep getting these calls from guys offering HHs, but I just don't think I can pull the trigger on one yet?

How about you?

Wow! You have a got a ton of options Barry!! It's nice to have options. No, no new birds for me, both of my gosses came through the season just fine, so I'll be sticking with them for next year. I'm done flying Frieda for the year, and Lou I'll keep going a bit longer, though they're predicting 70's this week (15 degrees above normal!) so I may hunt today and tomorrow and call it quits.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

hi guys,
    i shall be keeping back a couple of finnish females , both of which will be imprinted. i also hope to breed my 7/8 gyrs which are very white , so female from them would be nice. depending on what colours my 3/4 gyrs produce ,one of them.oh and perhaps a female peregrine. all to be imprited
    the joys of having a breeding facility

andy

Default Imprint Accipiters And The Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton View Post
    Paul:
    I have been giving a imprint a lot of thought, the biggest draw back for me is keeping the bird in the house, my daughter has allergy's real bad. If she has an attack she has to go to the hospital for a shot. She does not live at home anymore but I will just not take the chance. I would like to try a cooper hawk. I am not sure how I would do it, I would read all the post on the forum for a start.
    here is a great sight I found on imprinting a coppers thanks Amy http://www.americanfalconry.com/recipe.html
    Amy Huggins

Wanna grow up one day but not ready to yet!!

If I'm lucky I will be imprinting my first accipiter this year, tiercel Finnish gos. I will be following my mentor's instructions. His ideas are pretty close to McDermott's. He thinks it's definite now but I'm going to keep calling it in the "probable" stage until hatch. Nothing worse than getting set on something and disappointed in the end!
    Aurelia - General I
    "It's not about the style of the flight; it's about the blood on the glove"

I'll be taking two imprint merlins in 11 weeks...man that is a LONG way off!!
    Tanner

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I'll be taking two imprint merlins in 11 weeks...man that is a LONG way off!!
    Hey Tanner,

How will you imprint them? I've heard that imprint merlins can turn out to be the worst of screamers.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever known an AK that was a screamer?
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Yes I've had several k birds over the years.. all have been large downies , turned in to rehabbers after being found and hand fed until they couldn't stand the noise...
    Barry
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Thread Information