Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's Imprinting in'09?

Quote Originally Posted by tumble View Post
    Fred, was that Jim's?
    Yes!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've read the Flynn and Fletch logs. Giving them another read right now. Good stuff.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

I've read the Flynn and Fletch logs. Giving them another read right now. Good stuff.
    His stuff makes sense to me! My next imprint will be tried his way. I think his method and the one mentioned above are very similar.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am thinking about imprinting a wild take peregrine this year. I have a permit and can legally take one at 18 days old. I may give it a try.

Sorry...no accipiter ideas.
    Matt Murray
    Success has a direct relationship with effort.

Quote Originally Posted by murraym View Post
    I am thinking about imprinting a wild take peregrine this year. I have a permit and can legally take one at 18 days old. I may give it a try.

Where are you going to get it Matt?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Where are you going to get it Matt?
    Not in a pine grove so who cares?

Just kidding
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Not in a pine grove so who cares?

Just kidding
    As in not an accipiter?
    Thanks,
    Wes

I know of a few eyries here in AZ. I didn't end up getting a wild taken bird as planned last year but hopefully this year. Another falconer pulled a tiercel last year and there was only 2 birds in that eyrie. I had pulled one the year before from a different eyrie so I figured it was his turn and was happy for him.
    Matt Murray

Matt, I think your talking about Gary Alton taking the tiercel peregrine. I know he pulled a wild tiercel peregrine from Az last year. Unfortunately, Gary passed away last year. The last conversation I had with Gary the tiercel was doing well. I don't know who ended up with the tiercel.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Jim, I offered a bird to Gary if he didn't find one but he did. He was so appreciative that he helped me out on the peales/anatum that I have this year. Gary was a great guy who, even when he was very sick started out by asking how I was doing. A great guy and good for falconry in CA. I believe they now have or are at least closer to a peregrine take because of his efforts.
    Matt Murray

Matt, I spent many hours with Gary out in the field {California} flying peregrines. He taught me a lot about falcons. He worked hard on the peregrine take for California and he received notice on a Friday that California was going to act on his petition. He passed away 3 days later on Monday. California falconers should be very grateful for having a great falconer like Gary. I am grateful for all the time I got to spend with him. He was also a High school teacher for at least 30 years. I moved to New Mexico and Gary made it a point to stay in touch with me.
    Jim
    New Mexican

I also knew Gary, though mostly over the phone. I did hawk with him a few times in southern California when I was younger. He got me set up with my semen donor peregrine that I used for quite a few years. He even gave me a full set of biology poweroints that I still use to this day in my classes. He really was the salt of the earth.

A very good friend of his received his wild take tiercel named Jeff Higgins. He is flying it on small game and finding success. Art Tawatari who lives a couple of miles away from here has his wild take female. They plan on getting them together in the future when the time is right.
    Andy Wahl
    Chico, CA

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Isaac,

What I am saying is you will be following the book and something will pop up that the book didn't account for, I can assure you, it happens. Again, I say, it all reads nice and sounds like a set of guidelines you follow, but it doesn't work out that way. Just do it and then come back to this thread and tell me it went exactly the way you thought McD meant it to. To make observations about something you have read and then to fiercely defend them without actually doing it, well, again I say, do it and come back and tell us what you think.
    Fred:
    Naturally, the book can't account for the many variables possible in imprinting. One couldn't assume otherwise. The book is not a beginners book. I would assume anyone picking it up and reading it has some prior knowledge of the imprinting process, not necessarily hands on knowledge but at least has some theory on the subject.

I make observations on this subject from written material and "fiercely" defend them not because I necessarily believe it all but to stimulate discussion on a topic that I am interested in. I only wish to get some good, knowledgeable and stimulating feedback on this subject so that I can learn more, but it seems some may have taken my posts the wrong way, despite my countless disclaimers. Isaac
    Isaac

Isaac, I'm going through similar thoughts myself as I prepare for a first gos. I think we'd have to ask Dick just how much of a "yo-yo" we're talking about. But I'd bet it's not more than 5-10 grams. I would think more than that would cause problems. I suspect the major differences is in baggies and available early season quarry. From several of my conversations with Dick he has access to a lot of cottontails. I don't (though he has invited me down to Mass to hunt). I imagine that would go a long way in reducing the need for baggies. I think the guys who have flown goshawks here in Maine have done quite a bit of baggie work. Given our lack of a CT season, let alone an early one, I too am seriously reaching for a good plan.
    Yeah, I agree. Seeing a weight chart and a log would be great. Isaac
    Isaac

If all goes well, I will imprint a sharpie...............
    Bill

Oh, Bill, I am definitely pulling up a seat if you pull a sharpie! The best of luck, and please keep us posted. Are you looking to pull a male or a female? Either way, it will be a blast.
    Joe

Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by ikcus View Post
    Oh, Bill, I am definitely pulling up a seat if you pull a sharpie! The best of luck, and please keep us posted. Are you looking to pull a male or a female? Either way, it will be a blast.
    Hi Joe

Its a little hard to sex them at a young age and I dont care which, so I'll just be happy to come home with any eyas. I have plenty of game in the summer for either sex and zero game in the winter . So I plan on flying in the summers then moulting it in the house during the winter. Will see how well that goes...............
    Bill

I had high hopes of attempting another imprint, either a Sharpie, Coops again or a Gos. However, our take law just ran through it's "sunset" date and currently nothing new to give us our take permitting back has made it through the house so the odds of them doing so prior to take advantage of our eyas take is pipe dream I believe...

Money being tight I would rather do a wild take for a bird this year and I'm fairly certain I burn my bridges in purchasing a local MI captive bred Gos.
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Lee why would you think that...? I still have you down as 1st for a male this year...
    I know the stress you've been under at work and also that you had problems with your meds, so cheer up all is not lost.
    Barry
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Thanks Barry...I guess it was a poor asssumption on my part. I felt and still feel quite badly about not being about to fulfill my purchase for you last year.

My health/med situation is slowly on the mend I believe which has me really excited about this coming season.

I'll drop you an email soon and we can chat about the gos then. Much appreciated Barry.
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

I'm on the list for a tiercel NA Gos.

I looked briefly but didn't see anything....could someone post a like to the Flynn and Fletch logs you mentioned earlier ? I'm eager to learn about some different imprinting methods.
    Shilo
    Dixon, CA

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaFalconer View Post
    I'm on the list for a tiercel NA Gos.

I looked briefly but didn't see anything....could someone post a like to the Flynn and Fletch logs you mentioned earlier ? I'm eager to learn about some different imprinting methods.
    I believe those logs are on the IFF.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Default Imprint Accipiters And The Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton View Post
    Paul:
    I have been giving a imprint a lot of thought, the biggest draw back for me is keeping the bird in the house, my daughter has allergy's real bad. If she has an attack she has to go to the hospital for a shot. She does not live at home anymore but I will just not take the chance. I would like to try a cooper hawk. I am not sure how I would do it, I would read all the post on the forum for a start.
    here is a great sight I found on imprinting a coppers thanks Amy http://www.americanfalconry.com/recipe.html
    Amy Huggins

Wanna grow up one day but not ready to yet!!

If I'm lucky I will be imprinting my first accipiter this year, tiercel Finnish gos. I will be following my mentor's instructions. His ideas are pretty close to McDermott's. He thinks it's definite now but I'm going to keep calling it in the "probable" stage until hatch. Nothing worse than getting set on something and disappointed in the end!
    Aurelia - General I
    "It's not about the style of the flight; it's about the blood on the glove"

I'll be taking two imprint merlins in 11 weeks...man that is a LONG way off!!
    Tanner

Does the AZ G&F mandate that you can't take one before 18 days old?
    Tanner

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I'll be taking two imprint merlins in 11 weeks...man that is a LONG way off!!
    Hey Tanner,

How will you imprint them? I've heard that imprint merlins can turn out to be the worst of screamers.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    I believe those logs are on the IFF.
    yep
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Tanner, you are correct sir. The regulations says "Eyas Peregrine falcons may only be taken between 18 and 27 days of age in the nest."
    Matt Murray

Tanner, you are correct sir. The regulations says "Eyas Peregrine falcons may only be taken between 18 and 27 days of age in the nest."
    Damn game and fish, geeze. Must they control of everything? I like much younger eyases.
    Tanner

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Hey Tanner,

How will you imprint them? I've heard that imprint merlins can turn out to be the worst of screamers.
    I'm no expert Paul because I've only imprinted one. However, she didn't make a peep. Unfortunately, not long after she took her first head of game (barely hard penned!) I started CHEM666: Physical Chemistry II- I had to give my her to Pete J, because I was getting crushed. He flew her for a number of years and made some barbary merlins out of her, I think. She was a sweetie.

My two cents: I think that the age at which you take them is most critical. The one I imprinted was about 8 days old when I took her--I'd call that perfect. I think older, around 12-15 days and you are tempting a screamer--don't know why, but I learned that lesson with a prairie a long time ago. Merlin nestlings mature faster than bigger birds, so maybe that is the origin of the comments you've heard?
    Tanner

CHEM666: Physical Chemistry II-
    Doesn't that say it all?

Damn game and fish, geeze. Must they control of everything? I like much younger eyases.

I am not sure but I think this is a federal reg.
    Matt Murray

Well, the government always knows best!

If you do go for one Matt, good luck with the take. Snap a lot of photos and post them!
    Tanner

I'm no expert Paul because I've only imprinted one. However, she didn't make a peep. Unfortunately, not long after she took her first head of game (barely hard penned!) I started CHEM666: Physical Chemistry II- I had to give my her to Pete J, because I was getting crushed. He flew her for a number of years and made some barbary merlins out of her, I think. She was a sweetie.

My two cents: I think that the age at which you take them is most critical. The one I imprinted was about 8 days old when I took her--I'd call that perfect. I think older, around 12-15 days and you are tempting a screamer--don't know why, but I learned that lesson with a prairie a long time ago. Merlin nestlings mature faster than bigger birds, so maybe that is the origin of the comments you've heard?
    Tanner,
    I have often heard people worry about taking a bird too YOUNG and causing a screamer, but that is interesting that you think there is a time when they are VERY YOUNG that is better than a little OLDER. Would you share you reasoning a little? I would like to hear your the WHY behind your theory. I find it intriguing.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Thread Information