Thread: Hello from Memphis Tn

Default Hello from Memphis Tn

Hello everyone.
    My name is Cameron, I am 18 years old. I would like to get into falconry but am kind of overwhelmed by everything involved.
    I have always been interested in the sport but never took the time to start researching, until now.
    I am looking for someone who lives near me (maybe in mississippi or arkansas) that i could see their bird(s) and they could talk to me/show me a little about what i am getting into.
    Thanks in advance for everything!

welcome .. go back and sign your posts as most people on here think it is a point of curtiousy.
    You could also call you state DNR ask for information on the Tennesee (sp?) hawking club.. and any and all information the state dnr has on falconry
    try a google search for falconry in your state. You will need to find your l state club and contact them ..
    Start reading .. if you have access to Webster & Beebe's Falconry and Hunting hawks ,, this is considered the bible of falconry by many if not all of us.
    There are a lot of othe good reading materials out there, but that can come later.
    you can go to the apprentice part of this forum and learn a lot of information, and learn to diseminate the good from the bad. .but that all comes with time and attitude..
    luck
    David

Cameron,
    there are several falconers in TN. You might be able to contact you DNR and get their names. There might even be a few on here....but David is right..the apprentice forum has a lot of info for beginners! Good Luck!
    Life ain't always beautiful.....But it's a beautiful ride!
    Heather G MT

Thanks for the advice. I have already contacted my state via email about information and am awaiting a responce.. Unfortunately my state does not have a falconry/hawking club. I am also looking to find falconry books through local libraries but not having any luck. I will probably have to buy them.

By the way what is "DNR"?

Department of Natural Resources ( maybe in TN its division of Wildlife???) not sure, but here in MN its DNR.
    Heather G MT

Oh here it is TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency)
    I was transferred around to about 6 people on the phone and then i left a message for the person who they were "sure he knows about the bird stuff" and that guy still hasn't called me back and the email on the TWRA page is invalid
    sooo...im stuck at the moment.
    well im off to the library to check out a couple of books on BOP...hope they are good.

any other suggestions are always welcome!

Cameron

Here's the link
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

heather
    can you type the part about "David is Right" again ???
    I really like the sound of that!!!!!!!!
    David

Im sorry did you say something???? HEHEHEHE
    Heather G MT

Quote Originally Posted by kimmerar View Post
    Cameron

Here's the link
    http://www.state.tn.us/twra/
    thank you but i have been to that site and really found no information.
    maybe i just dont know where to look. tennessee always makes things difficult. frus
    I sent an email to the general information department asking to refer me to someone who can help. maybe i will have a response tomorrow.
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

cam
    it isnt just your state, that is the way things work ,, your concern is not their concern..
    be paitent "good things come to those who wait"

Heather I know your saying to yourself right now "did he say that?
    Yaya Heather i said that. I had patients once ,, I thought I had the flue.

while your waiting try the apprentice area of the forum ..
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    cam
    it isnt just your state, that is the way things work ,, your concern is not their concern..
    be paitent "good things come to those who wait"

Heather I know your saying to yourself right now "did he say that?
    Yaya Heather i said that. I had patients once ,, I thought I had the flue.

while your waiting try the apprentice area of the forum ..
    lol thanks

right now i am reading, i just checked out 4 books from the library.
    Trying to get all my facts straight.
    But they didnt have any of the books recommended here
    so it looks like i will buying a few...
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Cameron:
    to the site and falconry. It take lots of Patience when you getting started and more as you move forward. There is a great deal of information on this site of people just getting started. Do a lot of reading on this forum and books. This is not a question that you are thinking of that hasn't been ask more than one on this forum. Some place there is a reading list posted. The books I read were chip in stone. So the shipping cost is to costly these days. I am sure someone will give you a list.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Buy the way everyone. If there is anyone within about 2 hours of memphis i would love to drive out to see your birds and mews. I actually want to be around some birds before i start buying books and such.
    I will be on spring break March 14-21 so i have any of those days that i could come visit.
    I think it is past the hunting season? But i would love to see someone fly their bird also!
    I know it is a lot to ask of a stranger but i will bring cake...or cookies, or whatever!
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Cameron

Have you tried here?

http://www.twraregion4.org/TWRANonGame/TWRAFalconry.htm

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by hawkerev View Post
    yea, that "Melissa Cunningham" email is invalid and i still have not received a call back from the message i left at that number
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Quote Originally Posted by cnoel08 View Post
    Buy the way everyone. If there is anyone within about 2 hours of memphis i would love to drive out to see your birds and mews. I actually want to be around some birds before i start buying books and such.
    I will be on spring break March 14-21 so i have any of those days that i could come visit.
    I think it is past the hunting season? But i would love to see someone fly their bird also!
    I know it is a lot to ask of a stranger but i will bring cake...or cookies, or whatever!
    I am in north Alabama. winding down for the season right now. You could probably find somebody closer, but I am about 2 hours or so.
    Rick
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting what a ride!"

Well i got in touch with someone from TWRA and they took my address and told me that they could mail out the packet today!
    WOOT!
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Quote Originally Posted by cnoel08 View Post
    Well i got in touch with someone from TWRA and they took my address and told me that they could mail out the packet today!
    WOOT!

good job!
    Rick
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting what a ride!"

Just a note, but I was doing some design work on the Memphis trolley system a few years ago and I used to drive there so I could bring my bird with and do a little "On the side" hawking now and then....Great urban hawking in the city....I even squirrel hawked in the park next the medical center right on the trolley line.....Caught a squirrel outside Graceland in the parking lot across the street and had one or two bunny slips in a large dried up overflow basin next to the trolley barn north of downtown.....Where there is a will, there is game!!!!
    "Falconry...the sport of throwing pointy, angry feathered things at small animals for fun."
    Noel Murphy: Shitcagoland

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtheweasel View Post
    Just a note, but I was doing some design work on the Memphis trolley system a few years ago and I used to drive there so I could bring my bird with and do a little "On the side" hawking now and then....Great urban hawking in the city....I even squirrel hawked in the park next the medical center right on the trolley line.....Caught a squirrel outside Graceland in the parking lot across the street and had one or two bunny slips in a large dried up overflow basin next to the trolley barn north of downtown.....Where there is a will, there is game!!!!
    really?? i didnt know we had any rabbits in that area!
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Welcome to the site.. I live just east of Memphis in Mt. Pleasant, and Bodarc (Johnny) lives in Olive Brach. Johnny has an apprentice and i was his apprentice. We could probably help you on your way!
    Send either of us a pm with your contact and he or I could get in touch with you.
    Luck favors the prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jameson View Post
    Welcome to the site.. I live just east of Memphis in Mt. Pleasant, and Bodarc (Johnny) lives in Olive Brach. Johnny has an apprentice and i was his apprentice. We could probably help you on your way!
    Send either of us a pm with your contact and he or I could get in touch with you.
    alright, will do,
    Thanks!
    Pm sent
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

And Study & get a lot of Hands on! It Helps in the Learning process.
    Jonathan " Falconry IS; A preparation and training for LIFE!" DR. Nick Fox;Understanding The B.O.P

Thread Information