Thread: Hello from Mississippi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from Mississippi

Hello all...just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Cory Martin and I'm 22 and just finished my first season in Ms. My season was real interesting to say the least. I trapped a male rt and ended up needing to get him vaccinated for tracheal parasites. He went about 13 or 14 days without eating before we finally was able to get him diagnosed. Finally got him going and had a real good season working with him (with some up and downs throughout the season). I was able to take about 10 squirrels with him, but didn't get to sign the paperwork at the end of the season like I wanted to. I intended to take and release him after the molt and trap a new bird, but he passed away right at the end of the hunting season to what we believe was asper. It was real difficult, but I can't wait for next season to try again. There are alot of fond memories, and I can't wait to make more.
    ~Cory~

welcome!
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

There is a good group of people on here that know their stuff and are happy to help. Have fun on here and better luck next season.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Martin View Post
    ended up needing to get him vaccinated for tracheal parasites.
    What? Vaccinated for tracheal parasites? Do tell. I want to know more about the tracheal parasite vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Martin View Post
    what we believe was asper.
    Who is we? Asper is pretty darn easy to diagnose on a necropsy. Anyway better luck next season and welcome to the madhouse.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Krys,

Maybe he meant treated for parasites and not vaccinated. It's not required by regulation to have a necropsy preformed when a bird dies, so maybe he and his sponsor were going their best guess. Passive aggressive posts are sort of unwelcoming, maybe you ought to just chill out.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Hi Cory, welcome to NAFEX!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Hey, thnx for the welcoming. Sorry, I guess vaccinated might not have been the right term. Tawodi was diagnosed and treated for tracheal parasites. I don't remember the name of the medication he was given for them, but I can take and post later when I get home as to what he was given. I have the reciept where the vet wrote what was given filed at the house. I'll give you that info when I get a chance to pull the file.
    We, was me and my sponsor. Tawodi showed all the signs of asper, and I didn't take him to the vet after he died. I did hold him for about a month frozen after my paperwork was sent in saying he died and put the cause of death as possible asper (since I didn't have it diagnosed by my vet after he died). They never came after the bird, so after the month of holding him, I took and buried him. He was fine one day, I dropped his weight for hunting in warmer weather than we had had, and then the temp dropped and he got real weak, wouldn't eat (would just throw his food), had real heavy/raspy breathing, and then couldn't stand on the perch and I ended up holding him hooded and in a towel to try to keep him calm and his air-way open. All of this began on a Friday night, after my vet closed, and I spent all Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday trying to get him seen by a vet, and one thing I have yet to figure out is why don't emergency pet clinics have an avian vet on call? I talked to 4 different emergency clinics between Ms and La, and all of them told me they don't handle avian or exotic animals. I was informed that I would have to keep up doing what I was doing and take him to my vet first thing Monday morning. When I got ready to call a University vet program, I picked up the phone and then looked down to get the number and my attention went to Tawodi's breathing. I saw his chest fill with air, collapse, fill with air, collapse, and then it didn't re-fill. My mom, who was in La at the time, was actually driving from vet to vet where I grew up trying to get intouch with a vet who could handle him and give me some info on how to get ahold of someone quickly without a big run-around, but by the time she got that info, it was too late. I'm just hoping that I have a better season this coming time. He was real good once I got him hunting, but when he went down, it was quick.

Thnx for the welcoming Saluqi. As for the comments earlier, I have no problem with the passive aggressive posts. I'll answer anything that I'm asked, and if I don't know how to answer it, then I'll just say that I don't know. So, if you question, I'll tell (if I know). It takes alot to get to me. Plus, I find that by being questioned, you actually can learn more than you knew beforehand.

Im sorry about your bird. rick told me that you had a real shi*** season and that no one should have to go through that
    Cameron
    18 tarantulas

Cory. Glad to have you here. Yes it sounds like asper and it's weird how problems happen on the weekends. We ran into the same problem when my husband's bird broke his leg.

I believe we met at the Arkansas meet this last Feb or was it at NAFA?? We always sign our post here with our name. You can go into the User CP to do that automatically. Keeps it more friendly here. I hope you have a better season next year. Tell Rick and Johnny Hi from me and hopefully we'll see you at the picnic in June.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Thread Information