Thread: N.E. Alabama, DeKalb Co. - Proud to join..!!

Thumbs up N.E. Alabama, DeKalb Co. - Proud to join..!!

Howdy to you all..!!

I've recently been bitten by the Falconry bug. Watching all the videos and reading all the info I can online. I think Falconry is an amazing experience even though I have yet to get really involved.

I'm waiting on a reply from Alabama Fish & Game regarding the "Falconry Package" so that I can get a better understanding of the steps taken for a beginner. I envy you all that have been doing this for years or even one day.

I'm a single white male, age 41, animal enthusiast. I have a 4 year old cat and 14 month old Chocolate Lab. I take great pride in training my dog, named Red River. I've taught him verbal and hand signal commands. He's my pride and joy - even without having wings - haha.

I look forward to talking and hopefully meeting some of you in time. From the few dozen threads I've read, I think I'll fit in just fine with this motley crew - lol.

Here's to new friendships..!!!!

PS: Thank you to Isobael for sharing your info, pics and videos of your beautiful Kestrel, Fizgig.

Welcome, Pete!

I think you'll like it here. Everyone here's been great about giving advice, constructive criticism, and help. They share their knowledge and there's so many different views and techniques, you're bound to learn a lot!

Explore the site. You'll see everything's broken up into separate topics and easy to find. LOTS of stuff to go through. =)
    Sandie "Who said falconry isn't contagious?" Morehead
    Falco Sparverius Falconer

Hi Pete,

I'm a falconer in Auburn, and Vice president of the Falconers and Austringers of Alabama this year. If there's anything I can do to help you get started feel free to send me a private message, and I'll help get you set up.

The contact at DCNR is Roger Clay. He's a great guy and easy to work. His e-mail address is roger dot clay at dcnr.alabama.gov.
    Ross Spafford

welcome to the site Pete. this is really an awesome sport that has kinda taken over my life, and i'm still an apprentice I wish you luck on gettting started.
    Cory Martin

Pete! You have come to the right place. Very friendly and extremely knowledgable people here. I cant count how many times they have helped me so far. Being a pre-app newbie, its is extremely helpful.

Hope to see ya around!
    Jason - MN

Quote Originally Posted by Ross.Spafford View Post
    Hi Pete,

I'm a falconer in Auburn, and Vice president of the Falconers and Austringers of Alabama this year. If there's anything I can do to help you get started feel free to send me a private message, and I'll help get you set up.

The contact at DCNR is Roger Clay. He's a great guy and easy to work. His e-mail address is roger dot clay at dcnr.alabama.gov.
    Thanks Ross..!! I appreciate the offer for help. I sent an email to Mr. Clay yesterday, so I'm anxious for a reply.

I don't suppose you know of any general/master falconers in my area of DeKalb County? I'm still looking around and getting use to this site, so maybe I'll stumble across someone local.

Thanks again for the welcome and support!!!!
    Pete - N.E. Alabama - That's no moon, it's a space station.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    Pete! You have come to the right place. Very friendly and extremely knowledgable people here. I cant count how many times they have helped me so far. Being a pre-app newbie, its is extremely helpful.

Hope to see ya around!
    Hi Jason!! Thanks for the welcome!! You're a pre-app? How long have you been involved in Falconry so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Martin View Post
    welcome to the site Pete. this is really an awesome sport that has kinda taken over my life, and i'm still an apprentice I wish you luck on gettting started.
    Hi Cory, and thanks for the warm welcome!!

What level Falconer are you? I can understand it taking over your life just from what little I've seen/read..!! Is there such a term as Hawk-a-holic? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi Jason!! Thanks for the welcome!! You're a pre-app? How long have you been involved in Falconry so far?
    I've been actively involved for about 3 months now. Will be taking my test soon!
    Jason - MN

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
    I've been actively involved for about 3 months now. Will be taking my test soon!
    do you have a mentor yet? How did you get ready to take the test?

Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

Thread Information