Thread: AFC Picture Book Submissions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default AFC Picture Book Submissions

Hello all,

I am putting together a picture book to help raise money for legal fees incurred on our continuing quest to get things happening (a list of these things and past efforts will be posted in the next few days). The book is not intended to make us a killing, it is more a way to have a cool discussion piece available to AFC members and non-member fellow falconers alike while helping to take the edge off of some of our legal costs. We feel it will help to create even more of a bond between us all. We will purchase the books and sell them for a small mark-up (which I intend to disclose when we figure out what the costs are).

We will offer this book for sale through the new AFC website (coming soon!). If you would like to help in our efforts and think you have a pic you'd like to see considered for the book please send us your pictures. I will need high resolution digital images .jpg .tiff at around 300dpi or more is best. Or, if you would like to mail actual pictures or discs to me at my company you can find the address at my website (see signature).

Here is what we are looking for...

Shots depicting falconry or trapping - action shots, falconers with birds, falconers with friends, historic shots etc. I am thinking about having a main section, then if there is enough interest and GOOD shots I might add a "Good ol' Days" section as well as an "Outside the Americas" section. Pictures with strong historic content or obvious beauty in action will rise to the top of the heap!

Please include.
    Bird(s) breed/name/age in picture
    Quarry (if any)
    Falconer/Owner name (where do they live - city/state/country)
    Photographers Name
    Where and When shot was taken
    Any notes you consider interesting - meet name, 30mph winds, hungover...

Submission DEADLINE: June 15, 2009

I will NOT guarantee every shot submitted will be chosen for the book. We are going to pick the best of the best and go from there. If any of your submitted pics are chosen, we will send you a waiver to sign stating that you own the rights to these pictures and that you are giving us permission to reproduce them for this book.

It will be hard bound and with your help, beautiful! Price will depend on just how big we make it!

You may submit digital images to me via email at jason@hotsake.tv - please note, if images sent add up to more than 20mb please use YouSendIt.com to get the images to me!

Thanks all!

If this one goes well, I hope to do smaller "shots of the year" books on a yearly basis.

Is the molt over yet? frus
    Last edited by jhausman; 04-23-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added Deadline
    Jason Hausman - AFC Moderator
    Tundra Peregrine Falcon, Red-Tailed Hawk & German Shorthaired Pointer

A falconry coffee table book, what a great idea Jason! I sure hope you are able to put some breeding pictures in there (preferrably a few from this year of a couple pairs I know of down in Charlotte LOL). Good luck with the book! Any idea when the auction for AFC is going to be? I would think they would have it soon if they are going to auction off birds produced this year.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

if i give you a link to my photobucket page could you download and use from there?

i have a ton of pics of my first bird there, male kessie, and nothing i wouldnt let other people see. you are more then welcome to it.

or how about the AFC starts a photobucket page, or something to that sort and falconers be able to log in and down load photos directly to that? they are free!

i know that could get bad, but just a thought!

I think the coffee table book idea is great. I've wondered why it hasn't been done before. I also think a falconry story book would be good. It could be real hunting stories with photos. Another idea would be funny fictional stories with character type illustrations. Just something easy reading and different from the other how to that's out there now.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    I think the coffee table book idea is great. I've wondered why it hasn't been done before.
    It has been done. Check out Skyhunters "A Passion for Falconry" with most photo's done by Rob Palmer. The description on his website says, "This book is a wonderful 320 page coffee table book..."

I have a copy and the photo's are absolutely amazing.

That's not to say that the AFC shouldn't put one out, I think it's a great idea and would gladly contribute photos, just to point out that the coffee table book idea has been done before.
    -Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Takasho View Post
    It has been done. Check out Skyhunters "A Passion for Falconry" with most photo's done by Rob Palmer. The description on his website says, "This book is a wonderful 320 page coffee table book..."

I have a copy and the photo's are absolutely amazing.

That's not to say that the AFC shouldn't put one out, I think it's a great idea and would gladly contribute photos, just to point out that the coffee table book idea has been done before.
    My bad. I guess I never saw that title or it didn't register as to what type of book it was. I'll be looking for it now. Thanks.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    I think the coffee table book idea is great. I've wondered why it hasn't been done before..
    There will be a worldwide Falconry book launched at the festival of falconry this year. It covers falconry in all the countries represented.

Jhausman; Can you Pm me your address as I will send you a fair few shots of falconry from Croatia, Pakistan, Austria, the UK and some of trapping in the USA??? It will be easier if its on disk as they are very high resolution.
    Har Mar Super Spar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Crane View Post
    There will be a worldwide Falconry book launched at the festival of falconry this year. It covers falconry in all the countries represented.

Jhausman; Can you Pm me your address as I will send you a fair few shots of falconry from Croatia, Pakistan, Austria, the UK and some of trapping in the USA??? It will be easier if its on disk as they are very high resolution.
    That would be great Ben! No need to pm though. Just sent to my company address. Can be found here www.hotsake.tv . If you have problems let me know.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
    if i give you a link to my photobucket page could you download and use from there?
    It all comes down to compression/resolution. The book is going to be a good size book with various sized pictures on each page. I need high resolution pics in order to have the flexibility to take a GREAT SHOT and maybe make it a half or even full page while taking other shots and maybe putting 3 or so to a page. I am assuming photobucket has some restrictions on photo size. I just don't know what they are. If anyone wants to toss that info up here that would be great! If not, I will look into it when I have more time.

The truth though is that this process could be a nightmare if I am just grabbing photo's from all over. I really need them to be attached to the senders information in some way, wether direct mail or email so that I can go back through them and have contact info, photographer information etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jhausman; 04-23-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    A falconry coffee table book, what a great idea Jason! I sure hope you are able to put some breeding pictures in there (preferrably a few from this year of a couple pairs I know of down in Charlotte LOL). Good luck with the book! Any idea when the auction for AFC is going to be? I would think they would have it soon if they are going to auction off birds produced this year.
    Thanks Fred! My pairs aren't producing squat! AAAARGH! They are going through all the motions with no results. Maybe next year... or maybe I will just sell them and get a Hawk-Eagle!

We will be posting the Meet info and Action info soon!

J.

Quote Originally Posted by jhausman View Post
    Thanks Fred! My pairs aren't producing squat! AAAARGH! They are going through all the motions with no results. Maybe next year... or maybe I will just sell them and get a Hawk-Eagle!

We will be posting the Meet info and Action info soon!

J.
    Jason,

Just transfer them to me after this breeding season, I will be glad to see if I can get them to produce for you!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Jason,

Just transfer them to me after this breeding season, I will be glad to see if I can get them to produce for you!
    No problem buddy. I have already netted them up for ya!

Jason... excellent idea and it will make a good read. When do you think the book will be available to UK readers ? Atb, Sean.
    Sean, UK.

Thread Information