Thread: English Pointer needs home

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default English Pointer needs home

Hey Everyone,

I need some help finding a home for an English Pointer that I became the new owner of last night. I will post pics later. The dog came to the clinic after being hit by a car. Her former owners would not pay for treatment and agreed to surrender the dog to me. I am paying for all the treatment and I would take on this challenge if it were not for the fact that I already have 5 dogs and the inn is full so to speak. She has severe injuries to her right front leg, broken ribs, and road rash. The former owner said she is a magnificent hunting dog. This is a link for the sire of the dog in question. I'm still trying to get more info for the dam. http://georgiapointers.com/dog.php?dogID=90

Unfourtunately the dog is going to loose the right front leg. We are amputating on Monday. The combination of injuries to the carpus and dislocation of the elbow are such that the dog will not be able to uue the leg well anyway even if we are able to put everything back together.

The dog is a female liver and white 2.5 yrs old. Does anyone want her or know someone that would give her a try. She should still be able to hunt. She has a super sweet disposition. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Is she 'Elhew'/american type? That is with the tail high up.
    Is she intact?
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Quote Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
    Is she intact?
    She is intact. Her most recent litter was in January. Current Vaccines, current on heartworm prevention, has also had the rattlesnake vaccine. I will find out about the pointing stlye, but the sire does have some elhew in him.
    Krys Langevin

Here are the pictures of Paint.

Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
    Her point is described as a very low crouch tail high and slighly arched over her back.
    Krys Langevin

What a sad story, and I hope it has a happy ending. I'd be tempted, having recently lost my canine best friend after 13 great years, but I'm not quite there yet.

Curious--and not to start a negative hijack, but--the owners WOULD or COULD not pay for her bills?

It's amazing what active dogs can do with three legs, far more than with three good ones and one problematic one. I hope you find a good home for this sweet girl. If I were closer, I'd offer my home for fostering, but alas...

Keep us posted. I'll bet you'll find her a new home with a member or a member's connections.
    Michelle B.
    "Put a bird on it, and call it art." --Portlandia

Quote Originally Posted by lupine View Post
    Curious--and not to start a negative hijack, but--the owners WOULD or COULD not pay for her bills?
    Would not. He could not justify the expense for a dog that may or may not hunt again when he had a couple of her pups left still. If we could have told him the dog would do well in the field after all was said and done he would have spent the money.
    Krys Langevin

Man, I wish it was not a 2 day drive for me to get to your part of the country. If she hunted well, before, she will hunt just as well as a tripod. I just do not think after the surgery and recovery a plane ride would be the best thing. Just too much stress for the gal. I hope some one close picks her up. You rank very high in my book Krys for doing what you are doing. I commend your actions as a great human being. My family and I will keep her in our thoughts and prayers for an outstanding recovery.
    Joe

Northern California

Here are some pictures of Paint.

Slevin (Mastiff), Frognot and Paint.

Paint and Moose.

Brandi

Keep in mind these pictures are only 2 days post-op. Paint had surgery Monday afternoon. 48 hours later she is runnin with the big dogs. She is doing very well. The third picture you can see Paint is going a bit too fast and is actually about to bite it by doing a face plant. I added up the totals of all this and what it is costing me and all I can say in the words or Dierks Bentley "What was I thinking?". Thanks to averyone for the well wishes and kind words. Heather when are you comming to get the beast. You better hurry before I get attached and change my mind. Paint is curled up in my lap as I type this.
    Krys Langevin

its great to see she recovered.

good to see paint smiling ..
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    its great to see she recovered.

good to see paint smiling ..
    What I've spent on her so far I could probably by one of your trucks from you. She's gonna do great. Now the trick is to see if Heather can get her hunting again.
    Krys Langevin

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    What I've spent on her so far I could probably by one of your trucks from you. She's gonna do great. Now the trick is to see if Heather can get her hunting again.
    Your killing me. She's perfect but I don't think the misses will allow it. I have too many animals now (birds) and in her mind there is no room for another dog, especially with pups in the program.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Here is a picture I took last night of all the girls on the couch. Paint has made herself at home!!!

Brandi

Thread Information