Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
I don't know the guy or anything about him, but man, why do folks sling their birds up into trees. I went to a falconry presentation at The Homestead in VA several years ago and the woman they had doing the presentation had a harris hawk that she would sling up toward a barn loft and the bird would fly up there and then she would have us get in a row and have the bird fly between us all. It was all really cool for the folks there, but all I could think of why does she have to sling the bird by its jesses. It has probably done this a thousand times and probably would fly up there on its own. I always just let my birds leave the fist when they are ready and haven't ever had a problem with one just sitting there. Do other falconers do this and do they think it is ok? I just don't get it! No one I hunt with does this although I have seen a few folks in our Guild do it but I usually just keep my mouth shut and don't ask them why? I guess one is braver on a forum than face to face! LOL
Fred, you are hereby officially called out for immediate flogging for derailing the subject of this post!!! We already had a thread a year or so back discussing the do's and don't of bird slinging. It was on 'Jballone's thread about his bird. So now, let's get back to tracking Mike Moreland and getting him to join Nafex so we can hear about his hybrid instead of rehashing the crap about people slinging their birds!!!