Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new little girl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My new little girl

Well thanks to Fred on here I was able to pull my first Acip. a female Coops. We think that she was around 4-5 days old when we puled her Tuesday. I weighed her today with a full crop and she was 105.1 grams. Well hopefully we will be slaying all the sparrows and starlings around here and what ever else she thinks she can catch .

I'm not sure how to post pics on here but maybe Fred will post a couple for me when he has the time.
    Mark

Mark, easiest way is to create an account at www.photobucket.com Once you do that, and you upload your pictures to that site (pretty straightforward), they give you four types of 'code' under the pictures. You want to copy and past the 'IMG' code into your posts, and that will put the picture into it. Hope that helps! We love pictures! And congrats on the new Coop's!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

ah man what a great story other than the Fred part

I hope you will post often about the coop.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I'm going to give this log thing a try I. I'll post the good and the bad even if that means screamin and face grabbing. If I can figure out the picture thing I may even post pics of that . Although for a little while it might not be all that exciting. Oh thanks for the picture help I will give it a try tomorrow maybe.
    Mark

Here are a few pictures that I am posting for Mark! Have fun Mark and remember to not pick it up after the first day. If you can, try and carry it around in its bowl or basket or whatever you are using! I can assure you, it will be an adventure! LOL

Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

the second to the last pic, you have this look on your face like, "what the "F" did i just get myself into??!!" man, i have been there before. as Fred said, your are in for an adventure! keep us posted.....
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Here are a few pictures that I am posting for Mark! Have fun Mark and remember to not pick it up after the first day. If you can, try and carry it around in its bowl or basket or whatever you are using! I can assure you, it will be an adventure! LOL

If I got the picture right on here. Ya look like your scared your goin to break it<G> Have fun

She tried to rip up a scored sparrow today but isn't quite strong enough. She is sleeping right now but I made it easier for her to tear at it when she wakes up, she also has her normal food dish with food in it as well. I expect her feather to be sticking out of the tubes tomorrow. I'll post pics of her when they finally do poke through. Oh on a side note how long should I leave this heating pad in with her?
    Mark

She just used her feet to hold the sparow down so she could eat it. It still took a lot of effort for her to rip the couple of bites off that she ate and now she is sleeping again. Man does she sleep a lot.
    Mark

Not a picture of this bird but my favorite picture so far of me and a bird. I love the way she is looking at the dog.

Mark

have decided on a name for her yet. by the way I hate you right now my coops havent even hatched yet LOL
    Jason Pollack, Custom Gunsmith
    http://www.pcwguns.com/

How much longer untill they do hatch? I named her Shiera after Hawk-girl from DC comics. I thought it fit her.
    Mark

think it should be any day now just havent seen any out yet. that and the next challenge is getting up in the tree to get one. the nest is in a cotton wood out on a 5" branch
    Jason Pollack, Custom Gunsmith
    http://www.pcwguns.com/

Hmm I just hired the pro climber Fred knew and had him climb so I didn't have to worry about it.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dirthawker2004 View Post
    think it should be any day now just havent seen any out yet. that and the next challenge is getting up in the tree to get one. the nest is in a cotton wood out on a 5" branch
    I know of people that have hired people of a different nationality that work at tree trimming services to climb for them. $50 should get the job done.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Here are some pics I just took.

She is coming along.
    Mark

Default hi

hi oll im from the uk and nuw to this forum . and think ur ol so luky to b alawd to taek abird awt the wiuld im rele jelus . wish thay wod let me taek a gos awt the nast , but thay wood send me to jael lol from barny uk

yeah we are pretty lucky over here being allowed to take birds from the wild.
    Mark

She has been standing up and flapping today. I found her a little while ago sitting next to her box on the floor, not sure if she jumped out or just fell out.
    Mark

She was out of her box again today so I used a bowl that a zeroed my scale with to pick her up and I weighed her as well. She weighed 271.1 grams today so she is growing like a weed. Her feathers are at least 3xs as long today as they were last night. I go to pick up my tiercel Peale's tomorrow morning at the airport.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by varanus View Post
    Well thanks to Fred on here I was able to pull my first Acip. a female Coops. We think that she was around 4-5 days old when we puled her Tuesday. I weighed her today with a full crop and she was 105.1 grams. Well hopefully we will be slaying all the sparrows and starlings around here and what ever else she thinks she can catch .

I'm not sure how to post pics on here but maybe Fred will post a couple for me when he has the time.
    CongratsI hope to pull a male coop in a week or so. It's a nest that
    Brad Mitchell located and has been watching for me. I was curious how you were able to determine the males from the females. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Brad Mitchell located and has been watching for me. I was curious how you were able to determine the males from the females. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Ooops....should have read the whole thread first and I would have seen the pictures. Brad, I'll flip ya for who goes up the tree. I retired from hang gliding last summer, been a couple thousand feet up hanging from a strap on contraption made of dacron and aluminum but climbing trees scares the crap out of me. Go figure.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Ooops....should have read the whole thread first and I would have seen the pictures. Brad, I'll flip ya for who goes up the tree. I retired from hang gliding last summer, been a couple thousand feet up hanging from a strap on contraption made of dacron and aluminum but climbing trees scares the crap out of me. Go figure.
    It doesn't matter to me who goes up, plenty of limbs. My biggest concern is being covered with pine tar. A falconer asked me to go parasailing with him just the other day. I won't tell you exactly what I said although lots of puke bags and an extra pair of underwear were mentioned along with a few choicer comments. No thank you!!! I'd have bad dreams about that for years afterwards. Terra firma is nice.

I think it is just the way he smells, I have heard that praries have bad breath as well. He ate without the hood on after only a couple of hours on the fist so we are making good progress so far.

The coops can stand for about 10 seconds at a time now and even tried to eat while standing although she fell on her face when she leaned over . She looks just like your bird in that pic Fred except for her legs are still pinkish.
    Mark

I think it is just the way he smells, I have heard that praries have bad breath as well. He ate without the hood on after only a couple of hours on the fist so we are making good progress so far.
    If your not used to peregrine breath you soon will be. Wait until you catch a passage tundra on the beach. The last one smelled a little fishy to me<G>

From what I have been told, it is kindof a shot in the dark if you pull them early. I personally picked up the two smallest chicks that were very close in body size and one had skinnier legs and shorter toes by 3/4 of an inch. So I pulled that one in hopes that it was a male but knowing that I'd be happy either way. I've mostly done big longwings and this is my first experience with anything accip so I just made a guess going by what seemed right in my tiny longwinger mind (thats what austringers like to hear right....)

pics and other good info here:
    http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4893
    -Ryan

When will she get over her fear of falling because she still raises hell when ever I have to pick her up (she got between a chair and the couch yesterday and I couldn't fit the bowl I use to lift her normaly in there to get her). I'm going to have to start teathering her today she is jumping out of the 3' high fenced area that I keep her in in the living room and then she runs all over the place. When should I start carrying her around on the glove?
    Mark

Well she seems to like me pretty well. She has been laying down in my lap for the past hour snoozing away. Did I say that I really like this bird? Well I really like this bird.
    Mark

Well I went ahead and teathered and boy is she pissed off ight now. I tied to put he on the bow perch but she just jumped off and went crazy. She is a little calmer and is standing on her perch but who knows how long that will last, in fact she just jumped off.
    Mark

Don’t attempt to help your hawk onto the perch let it get up there itself and don’t worry the hawk will soon realise its tethered and is not going anywhere. Alf.

Well I went ahead and teathered and boy is she pissed off ight now. I tied to put he on the bow perch but she just jumped off and went crazy. She is a little calmer and is standing on her perch but who knows how long that will last, in fact she just jumped off.

Sorry I haven't updated for a while my power cord craped out on me. She is doing pretty well with everything. She bates a bit ad still sleeps on the floor but she perches on her perch a lot. She kills teatherd baggies really well although it takes her a couple of minutes of looking around before she chases them down. She is killing hen phessie chicks that are nearly the same size as her. There are times when she acts like she has never seen me before and cirps and trys to run away from me but that only lasts for a few seconds and then she is fine. I weighed her the other day and she weighed 350 grams. She had 1 feather on the back of her wing that sticks out funny and I'm not sure if it is broken or if there is something else wrong with it. When she kills her baggie I trade her for a skined and gutted pigeon because I don't think the phessie is a rich enough food for her while she is still growing. She mantles, screams, and foots like crazy while on a kill which she more often than not goes streight for the head and neck beacuse she has learned that it keeps thosephessies from being able to kick the crap out of her which they try to do.
    Mark

Is it wise to over face such a young hawk with such large baggies?
    Not that I know much about baggies but it would seem to me that the art of producing baggies to a hawk is to build up confidence in a young hawk giving something like you say that can “kick the crap out of it” might just put the hawk off don’t you think not to mention the chance with the struggle to cause the hawk some feather damage?
    Just a thought! Alf.

Sorry I haven't updated for a while my power cord craped out on me. She is doing pretty well with everything. She bates a bit ad still sleeps on the floor but she perches on her perch a lot. She kills teatherd baggies really well although it takes her a couple of minutes of looking around before she chases them down. She is killing hen phessie chicks that are nearly the same size as her. There are times when she acts like she has never seen me before and cirps and trys to run away from me but that only lasts for a few seconds and then she is fine. I weighed her the other day and she weighed 350 grams. She had 1 feather on the back of her wing that sticks out funny and I'm not sure if it is broken or if there is something else wrong with it. When she kills her baggie I trade her for a skined and gutted pigeon because I don't think the phessie is a rich enough food for her while she is still growing. She mantles, screams, and foots like crazy while on a kill which she more often than not goes streight for the head and neck beacuse she has learned that it keeps thosephessies from being able to kick the crap out of her which they try to do.

Only the first one that I gave her had a chace to kick her and I quickly put an end to its abiity to do so. After that she grabs only the head and neck and then tears at the base of the skull untill the baggie stops moving. She doesn't seem to be the least bit afraid of them and runs them down after only a few minutes of looking around outside. I would much rather use sparrows but I think I have caught al of the ones that are close to me as I haven't caught any for several days.
    Mark

Wow she is acting like she has never even seen before today. She was screaming and backing away from me footing and biting, I didn't change anything. She also showed fear of the glove which she never has before and I ended up taking it off which got her to at least step onto my fist so we could go outside to kill her baggie. She has calmed down a bit now but wow what happened. She showed me that she can really fly last night. I had her on my fist and was standing at the far side of the room talking to my wife when all of a sudden she just flew all the way across the room and landed on the back of a chair which is about 20 feet. I was so excited I picked her up and let her do it 5 more times just to make sure it wasn't an accident. She has 3 of her dark tail bands in now so She doesn't have much longer untill she is hardpenned. I'm thinking it might be time to start slowly cutting her weight a little. Oh Should I start holding her jesses and keeping her on the fist or should I still let her just jump off whenever she wants for now? I'm so worried about pissing her off I think I might be taking stuff a bit to slow which will probably end up pissing her off even more.
    Mark

Wow she is acting like she has never even seen before today. She was screaming and backing away from me footing and biting, I didn't change anything. She also showed fear of the glove which she never has before and I ended up taking it off which got her to at least step onto my fist so we could go outside to kill her baggie. She has calmed down a bit now but wow what happened. She showed me that she can really fly last night. I had her on my fist and was standing at the far side of the room talking to my wife when all of a sudden she just flew all the way across the room and landed on the back of a chair which is about 20 feet. I was so excited I picked her up and let her do it 5 more times just to make sure it wasn't an accident. She has 3 of her dark tail bands in now so She doesn't have much longer untill she is hardpenned. I'm thinking it might be time to start slowly cutting her weight a little. Oh Should I start holding her jesses and keeping her on the fist or should I still let her just jump off whenever she wants for now? I'm so worried about pissing her off I think I might be taking stuff a bit to slow which will probably end up pissing her off even more.
    I don't know, what do you think you should do?
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Thread Information