Thread: Hello all, I am new:)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi,and thanks you.
    Well I have no clue yet, I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... I would rather an outdoor one but it is not worth the risk to me... we have so many weasels and fox's, plus we get some -40 with the windchill some times in winter.
    -Carly
    Falconry is a lifestyle... never a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Carly View Post
    I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... .
    Just be careful, basements can be just as deadly with the mold and mildew, especially in those damper northern climates. They get an infection in their lungs that you may not notice until it's progressed so far that treatment is less effective.
    Personally, I'm a big proponent of tethering in the livingroom around everyone, especially the first few months. It really helps develop the bond and you notice if anything isn't right alot sooner. If you look around the board you should find pictures of indoor tethering arrangements that catch any mess they could make.
    Michelle M., Fort Thomas, AZ.

Hi,and thanks you.
    Well I have no clue yet, I will not be flying her through the winter, I have her in an indoor mew, in my basement... I would rather an outdoor one but it is not worth the risk to me... we have so many weasels and fox's, plus we get some -40 with the windchill some times in winter.
    Hi Carly.

I am not too keen on the basement thing ether, but I get the idea with not flying her in the freeeeezing winter...I do not think I can accurately imagine -40 degree temps! I am one of those perch the bird in your living room even when they are molting kinda guys, so obviously that is where ill put my $0.02

Good to here that you are close to Dan, he seems like a way cool guy to have as a hawkin buddy/neighbor.

Good hawkin to ya

Great hawkin to ya
    Tom

Ofcourse, that said, my first sponsor in western Washington state kept a peregrine in his basement for over a year with no problems. It was a fairly new, very well kept house, the kind that makes you afraid to sit down you might get a spec of dirt on something....

Quote Originally Posted by borderhawk View Post
    Ofcourse, that said, my first sponsor in western Washington state kept a peregrine in his basement for over a year with no problems. It was a fairly new, very well kept house, the kind that makes you afraid to sit down you might get a spec of dirt on something....

Thank you borderhawk, and mad austringer for your concernXD
    I deffinetly see were you guys are comming from, there is a ventilation system and we are working on making it better,... I have rubber matting(removable) placed to catch the mutes, and i wash them with a bleach/water or virkon/water solution every saterday, the walls are smooth chip board(I think thats what you call it) I also wash those(while the bird is out on weathering) then i mop the bare floor(which is cement) air dry is for the day(wih the help of a fan) and place the mats back in. its working well, and theres not any odor.

she mostly uses the bathroom in one specific area anyways, it does not hit the walls, just a couple mats, so it makes the jobe easyer XD
    -Carly

Thank you borderhawk, and mad austringer for your concernXD
    I deffinetly see were you guys are comming from, there is a ventilation system and we are working on making it better,... I have rubber matting(removable) placed to catch the mutes, and i wash them with a bleach/water or virkon/water solution every saterday, the walls are smooth chip board(I think thats what you call it) I also wash those(while the bird is out on weathering) then i mop the bare floor(which is cement) air dry is for the day(wih the help of a fan) and place the mats back in. its working well, and theres not any odor.

she mostly uses the bathroom in one specific area anyways, it does not hit the walls, just a couple mats, so it makes the jobe easyer XD
    Right on. It sounds like you have it together for sure. Also, after I last posted I thought to myself that all basements are not created equally, and that yours is probably more like a room that happens to be below ground level, rather than a wet dungeon type basement like I initially imagined. When I picture a basement in my mind I always think first of the creepy and wet kind of basement, rather than the more "finished" game room sort.

And while we are talking about creepy mold, I once had a red tail perched next to a sink that was full of mold behind the cabinet underneath it for who knows how long before I found the mold. The only negative side effect was the ten years off of my life from panic when I made my discovery. The bird was fine.

Good hawking
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by MadAustringer View Post
    And while we are talking about creepy mold, I once had a red tail perched next to a sink that was full of mold behind the cabinet underneath it for who knows how long before I found the mold. The only negative side effect was the ten years off of my life from panic when I made my discovery. The bird was fine.
    LOL! Who needs kids to worry about when you've got hawks?

ahaha true very true
    -Carly

Thread Information