Thread: Veloci

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks guys,
    She caught another field bird this morning. Several tries before snatching one in the air. She is an awsome predator.

Making my own observation from flying western coops since 1980 when the only real coopers book at the time was desert hawking II. I still love that book and I bought it directly from Harry.

Velci has good speed. She has a nastier attitude then most western coopers I have flown. This is the first coops I have never hooded. I will hood my next one and from here on. I don't think it really made any difference with Velci either way. I just like to use a hood and have never had a problem with it. Just wanted to see the difference for myself.
    Now if a bird really hates the hood, I would not use it. Just all my coops hooded well in the past.

Now saying that. My best Eastern coops was my last Alabama coopers imprinted the the same way, except feed in Isolation using mirrors. She was a dream and so easy to handle. She got shot from an idiot!
    My favorite coops ever was a small western female coops of 11. oz She would take ducks both mallard,pintail and pheasant with my help. Very easy going bird I had in the early 80s and intermewed several times. The kind you never forget and want again. She got better every year. Loved that bird.
    This was way before Mikes books were out. Then there were several that came and past with vivid memories of certain hunts and kills.
    I have only flown 1 western Male that Tom Gleason and I pulled. He killed himself hitting a fence chasing a quail. Something always seems to happen to coopers hawks eventually. He was a tame little guy of 9 oz.

Right now Velci needs more kills or harder ones. Mentally she is not ready for doubles. Phyisically she is. She is not so vocal anymore and that just seemed to be a baby phase. I am going to drop her another 5 grams.
    Her feathers are still perfect. I tried to take a picture of her this morning with her prey and my camera batteries must be dead.

I really would like to try tame hacking next time. Just to see what that would give me.
    Last edited by Raptorick; 08-01-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Rick
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting what a ride!"

Thread Information