Thread: And another

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

that is awesome!! we are going to have to go catch some more pigeons for you since she is doing so well!!!
    Cesar
    turner or

Congratulations, Rob!

She's really looking good.
    Michelle B.
    "Put a bird on it, and call it art." --Portlandia

Thanks!!!! I'm loving this. First free flight will probably be this coming saturday. I'm gonna trap some more pigeons and I still have two more I can serve up to her.
    Rob Gibson
    I love cats, but can't eat a whole one by myself.

Ok, so my patience got the best of me and I knew she was ready so she had her first free flight today, let her circle once and then tossed a sealed pigeon up for her to nail, unfortunately it came back down to earth before she got to it so it was a ground sluice which was kinda anti-climactic. But she did well and showed no sign of wanting to bail on me. Automatically started circling me. Very happy for my first free flight of a longwing.
    Rob Gibson

Congrats Rob!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

So I'm having a problem. I have been serving up three sealed pigeons a week for the last 2 weeks so she has now killed 7 pigeons. Right at first she was killing no nonsense. She'd hit them, dispatch fairly quickly and eventually start eating. The last three times though, she has bound to them and taken them to the ground but then stepped off and let them start flying away and then chase them down again only to let them go again. It is obvious that it is intentional, she simply steps off and stands next to them until the fly again. Eventually they get to tired to fly and she starts harassing them by running at them and then using them as a springboard to help her hop and then turn around and do it again. That usually gets them to fly a time or two more so she can chase them down again but eventually they stop trying to get away. She will then start flying circles around them and every once in a while she'll fly by and smack them in the head with her foot knocking them around a bit and then fly by and do it again. She will even fly by and grab them by the head and carry them 5 or 10 feet up and then let go again. It all seems that she wants to continue the chase and is not satisified with how fast the pigeons ware out. Eventually she gets bored when they have been beaten to a pulp and barely alive she will kill and eat. She was getting cropped up every day but I made it so now she only eats every other day but still eats all she wants but it has not changed anything as far as her playing with her food. I don't want to turn the screws on her lowering her weight and creating a screaming monster so does any body have any idea how this can be fixed?
    Rob Gibson

You could try stopping giving her sealed pigeons and maybe a few that have a chance of getting away your not helping the hawk by doing this. Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by robruger1 View Post
    So I'm having a problem. I have been serving up three sealed pigeons a week for the last 2 weeks so she has now killed 7 pigeons. Right at first she was killing no nonsense. She'd hit them, dispatch fairly quickly and eventually start eating. The last three times though, she has bound to them and taken them to the ground but then stepped off and let them start flying away and then chase them down again only to let them go again. It is obvious that it is intentional, she simply steps off and stands next to them until the fly again. Eventually they get to tired to fly and she starts harassing them by running at them and then using them as a springboard to help her hop and then turn around and do it again. That usually gets them to fly a time or two more so she can chase them down again but eventually they stop trying to get away. She will then start flying circles around them and every once in a while she'll fly by and smack them in the head with her foot knocking them around a bit and then fly by and do it again. She will even fly by and grab them by the head and carry them 5 or 10 feet up and then let go again. It all seems that she wants to continue the chase and is not satisified with how fast the pigeons ware out. Eventually she gets bored when they have been beaten to a pulp and barely alive she will kill and eat. She was getting cropped up every day but I made it so now she only eats every other day but still eats all she wants but it has not changed anything as far as her playing with her food. I don't want to turn the screws on her lowering her weight and creating a screaming monster so does any body have any idea how this can be fixed?

Thread Information