Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NC Peregrine Take!!!

Congratulations to NC! Big attaboys out to the "handful" of NC Falconers who worked their tails off for the benefit of all.
    Berni - Northcentral IL

Quote Originally Posted by Migisi View Post
    Congratulations to NC! Big attaboys out to the "handful" of NC Falconers who worked their tails off for the benefit of all.
    Berni, I am going to be honest here, as much as all of us falconers of NC would like to claim we had a big part in getting this done, it really was a select few that did most of the work. I don't know exactly who all of them are, but I do know Jason was one of them. And the rest know who they are and I want to thank them all for all the hard work they did. The officers of the North Carolina Falconers Guild let all of us know when meetings were and what was going on and as much as I would have liked to attend all of those meetings, it seems every one fell on days I had to work or was out of town. But several falconers showed up at all of those meetings and it was their communication with our Wildlife Resources folks that got the job done. So to all of those that made this happen, if I win the lottery and trap a nice female passage peregrine, I promise to do my best to make all of you proud!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Merlins

Fred,

That's cool. How many merlins did you see? Did your trapping partner keep a merlin and fly her for a season?

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hey Daren, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I already know where to go! LOL We had 3 hit our nets when we were there trapping a merlin in 2006.
    Daren

Quote Originally Posted by NCFalconer View Post
    Fred,

That's cool. How many merlins did you see? Did your trapping partner keep a merlin and fly her for a season?
    Daren, we actually caught more peregrines than we did merlins. But that was due to us not having the correct size nets. We probably saw about 10 merlins, but they flew through the nets and didn't get caught, except the last one. I was the only one to take one home. I learned a lot about trapping with a dho-gazza that weekend and will be for sure better prepared the next time. I just bought some thread and the Net Making Ket from Jann's and will be using the video's on here to guide me, so I will be making about 10 nets this summer. I will either get to use them on the coast of NC or in Kansas this fall, so either way, I hope to have a pointy winged bird in my mews this fall.
    Fred

Awesome news guys! I hope you fill all three permits!

I also hope that detailed logs will be kept by those who trap them. It is an opportunity to make a modern day version of the old classic writings about training and flying passage peregrines.

How COOL is THAT!

I hope that, in time, there will be more opportunities for everyone to trap and fly these awesome birds! But you guys are taking some great "first steps" to get us there!

Thanks everyone! We are all very excited. The most important thing is TAKING all the birds! So many are applying to multiple states. Most of these permits are non-transferable and if someone wins multiples I pray for our sake that they trap and transfer! I am hearing directly from the Flyway Council that they are not interested in how many apply for a permit but how many of the 36 birds are actually taken. These are the numbers that will be looked at when we start pushing for higher birds allowed. I hope we don't screw ourselves by not taking all the available birds.

Again! Groundbreaking and historic stuff! Too cool!
    Jason Hausman - AFC Moderator
    Tundra Peregrine Falcon, Red-Tailed Hawk & German Shorthaired Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by jhausman View Post
    So many are applying to multiple states.
    Jason, you say so many are applying to multiple states, what states currently have their lottery available for folks to apply? Or did you mean, you think many will apply to multiple states? Just curious!
    Fred

Jason, you say so many are applying to multiple states, what states currently have their lottery available for folks to apply? Or did you mean, you think many will apply to multiple states? Just curious!
    I have gotten word from people who have said they plan to apply to multiple states. I understand the desire to help ensure that they get a shot. But I fear that some people will not fill the take. We need to help everyone understand the importance of taking all 36 birds! Which will be a hard thing to do in some of the states!

- - Oh, and I have also heard falconers telling other falconers that "everyone needs to apply for a permit even if they don't want a bird" to show how much interest there is. This is the OPPOSITE of what we should be doing!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jhausman View Post
    I have gotten word from people who have said they plan to apply to multiple states. I understand the desire to help ensure that they get a shot. But I fear that some people will not fill the take. We need to help everyone understand the importance of taking all 36 birds! Which will be a hard thing to do in some of the states!

- - Oh, and I have also heard falconers telling other falconers that "everyone needs to apply for a permit even if they don't want a bird" to show how much interest there is. This is the OPPOSITE of what we should be doing!

Jason
    This strategy occurred to me but it may backfire. The odds are low, but if a person is selected in two different states should that person trap two birds (i.e., on from each state)? I'd like to see/compare the applications forms from other states to the one from Texas. Also if another falconer without a passage peregrine permit wants to help or watch will that be a problem?

-- Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

TX does and if I remember correctly you get notified that you are chosen and have x amout of time to get the money in or it goes to the next in line.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

The Peregrine Falcon Permit Application is now available for sale to residents and nonresidents by telephone (1-888-248-6834) or mail-in application. Below is the link to the application which contains permit requirements and important deadline information.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_Licen...ermit_Appl.pdf

You can also get to this link from www.ncwildlife.org, click on the "Permit Hunt Opportunities" icon on the right, then scroll down to the "Peregrine Falcon-Migrant Permit Application" link.

Note that the deadline for applications is August 14. We then anticipate having the permit draw completed no later than August 20, one month before the season opens.

The draw is nearing... Good luck gents!!!
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    The draw is nearing... Good luck gents!!!
    When is the NC drawing out of curiousity?
    Krys Langevin

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    When is the NC drawing out of curiousity?
    Jason says in the above post that is will be no later than August 20th, but if I am remembering correctly, it said on the application that winners will be notified by August 24th. So I am guessing sometime between now and then.
    Fred

The winners' names were posted today. No one on this forum got lucky!

Daren

Rumor has it that SC also has a lottery for passage take. Anybody know the details? Surely they offered reciprocal privileges to their friends in NC!
    Time for our brethren in SC to 'fess up!
    Chris?
    Daren

posted where?
    Krys Langevin

Daren, just tried to call you, answer your phone! LOL
    Fred

I just got an email from our Guild president with the list of winners, I won't put them on here without their permission but I can annouce that 2 NC residents and 1 non-resident from PA will be trapping peregrines this fall. Congrats to the winners!

Now I can lock in on trapping my prairie in November on my trip to Kansas! Yeee Haaa! Can't wait!
    Fred

How many applicants in the drawing?

-- Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Bird_Dog View Post
    How many applicants in the drawing?

-- Scott
    12 NC, 13 non-residents, they chose the 2 NC falconers first and then put the other 10 NC falconers in with the 13 non-residents and then choose and a non-resident was picked.
    Fred

Default Trapping

Sorry I missed ya Fred. I hope all 3 of them are successful.

I'm sure the
    12 NC, 13 non-residents, they chose the 2 NC falconers first and then put the other 10 NC falconers in with the 13 non-residents and then choose and a non-resident was picked.
    Daren

Default Trapping

Krys,

I'll send you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    posted where?
    Daren

Krys,

I'll send you a pm.
    Thanks.
    Krys Langevin

Rumor has it that SC also has a lottery for passage take. Anybody know the details? Surely they offered reciprocal privileges to their friends in NC!
    Time for our brethren in SC to 'fess up!
    Chris?
    Sounds like SC is only allowing resident take.

"I just received a letter from DNR stating we (SC falconers) are allowed to trap two peregrines. If a master or general class falconer is interested in trapping a bird, they must complete a form and return it to DNR. The selection is then by random drawing. "
    Eric Edwards

Default Peregrines Taken In NC!

Well, I am pleased to announce that 1 NC Falconer, Andrew Wyatt and 1 PA falconer, Elizabeth Schoultz have taken falcons on the NC coast. The other NC falconer had to leave due to a sickness in the family. Here is a photo of the 2 birds trapped, one much darker than the other.

Congrats to Andrew and Elizabeth!
    Fred

sweet!!! Congrats to the happy falconers !!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Great News Fred, Thinks for posting the pictures.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Default One to go!

Very cool!

Fred, Thanks for posting the pix! When's Jim K going back out trapping?!

Congrats to Andrew and Elizabeth![/QUOTE]
    Daren

When's Jim K going back out trapping?!
    I don't know Daren, I emailed Andrew and Doug and got the report and OK to post they were successful and Doug told me Jim had to go home and didn't know if he was coming back or not later on. I sure hope he does.

They both sure are beautiful birds!

Also, you should have gotten an email from Bob with a link to a photo gallery of the trapping.

Another thing, I believe I am correct in saying Andrews bird was 715 g and Elizabeths was 740 g. If anyone knows differently, please correct me.
    Fred

This is good stuff.

Thread Information