Thread: Minnesnowtan Newbie!

Default Minnesnowtan Newbie!

Hello all,

My name is Phil and I have been reading about falconry for a few years now but never really felt I could do it until now.. I am 19 years old and I am a college student. I share many hobbies with my brother including fish keeping/breeding and cars I have not got my permit yet, but I am looking to do so soon if I can find a mentur and if I start building a pen. I am here now to take in wealth and knowledge and soon to share my experience with you all!

I am also looking for people in Minnesota or nearby so they can help me catch a potential kestrel or red tail after I pass my test! Guide me almighty falconers

~ Phil

Welcome, I'm sure somesof the Minnesota falconers will guide you. You might be able to get info from the Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota.

good luck,

Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Thanks Scott! That's what I am interested in! I am looking for some guidances from some other Minnesotan people, and hopefully I can go on some trips with them!

And for the Rapter Center, I live just a few blocks away so I have been there many times! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daphilster08 View Post
    Thanks Scott! That's what I am interested in! I am looking for some guidances from some other Minnesotan people, and hopefully I can go on some trips with them!

And for the Rapter Center, I live just a few blocks away so I have been there many times! Thanks!
    yer in the hot spot, most of the falconers I know up there live in and around the cities. I'm sure Lori @ the center can point you in the right direction.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    yer in the hot spot, most of the falconers I know up there live in and around the cities. I'm sure Lori @ the center can point you in the right direction.
    Really!? That is exciting to hear!! I hope someone from Minnesota replys soon frus Lori at the rapter center?

Lori at the raptor center has a falconry permit.
    she has a harris hawk I believe..
    If you have been to the raptor center I am surprised you are not aquainted with her, but stranger things have happend..

have you made any attempts to contact the MN falconers Association?

I am sure you can google the name and it will come up.
    most states have falconers associations.

have you ever attended Game Fair that is in the fall in MN ?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    Lori at the raptor center has a falconry permit.
    she has a harris hawk I believe..
    If you have been to the raptor center I am surprised you are not aquainted with her, but stranger things have happend..

have you made any attempts to contact the MN falconers Association?

I am sure you can google the name and it will come up.
    most states have falconers associations.

have you ever attended Game Fair that is in the fall in MN ?
    Well I haven't been to the raptor center since a high school field trip I believe.. I tried contacting Grant of the MN falconers Association so we will see if he gets bac to me..

Where are you located in MN?

Paul! Where are you going to Collage. Rich, that is the first time I have heard anyone call St. Paul MN. a hot spot Lets review this post in Jan. 2010. <G> I know it is a cool place to hunt your hawk. Even in Dec. There some real game hawkers in MN.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Phil!
    You come to the right place, this is a great site with tons of information. Look around and good luck on your new adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton View Post
    Paul! Where are you going to Collage. Rich, that is the first time I have heard anyone call St. Paul MN. a hot spot Lets review this post in Jan. 2010. <G> I know it is a cool place to hunt your hawk. Even in Dec. There some real game hawkers in MN.

Thanks!! I currently go to St. Scholastica in Duluth as a Nursing student! Hmm I like the sound of St. Paul being a hot spot
    I have noticed that there is a few of them! I am so eager to meet each and every one of them! Thanks for the welcome!
    Phil Kaiyalethe

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Phil!
    You come to the right place, this is a great site with tons of information. Look around and good luck on your new adventure.
    Thank you! You are right, I have found this a very useful site! I have learned just as much here, as I have from the books I have been reading
    Phil Kaiyalethe

Quote Originally Posted by daphilster08 View Post
    I tried contacting Grant of the MN falconers Association so we will see if he gets bac to me..
    Welcome..Im sure Grant will get back to you pretty soon now...he and his wife have just returned back to the cities..they came over here for the festival and have been staying(well,drinking really) with me.
    You are in a good spot there with some good people to help ya..i should know..hunted there with um enough..

Where are you located in MN?
    David is mainly located in the roping arena or i HOP
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Just the IHOP now!!! well I guess the computer desk too Hows that Gos' search coming roper???
    Life ain't always beautiful.....But it's a beautiful ride!
    Heather G MT

''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Heather you and gary are a pair.

first off i havent been to an Ihop since amarillo.

second i havent been to the roping pen for about 1.1/2 months now. well i mean i havent been roping any livestock. I was in the pen working with PJ as he was working my horses for me.

Is there an Ihop in Woodward, Ok? hope so . other wise gary isnt going to know where to go eat... or maybe the A&W rootbeer place.

gos hunting jeese dont temp me. I am almost positive I dont think i would want an imprint bird.
    sorry to be robbing the thread.I think we need to get back onto the subject ..what was the subject anyways???
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    Heather you and gary are a pair.

first off i havent been to an Ihop since amarillo.

Is there an Ihop in Woodward, Ok? hope so . other wise gary isnt going to know where to go eat... or maybe the A&W rootbeer place.

ROOTBEER FLOAT(S)!!!........HHmmmmm

gos hunting jeese dont temp me. I am almost positive I dont think i would want an imprint bird.

sorry to be robbing the thread.I think we need to get back onto the subject ..what was the subject anyways???
    We are on subject dude..MINNESNOWTANS!!!!
    Gaz..

now your soundin norwiegan dont ya know .. minnesnowtan
    ya suuuurree , you betcha your accent sounds a little muttled where you from anyways..
    David

Accent..????..What accent..???

ps
    You do realise you just said ''ya suuureeeee'' dont ya????frus
    Gaz..

Figured I'd piggy back on this thread as I too will be moving to Minnesota in the next 2 weeks. I am a general falconer that is not currently flying anything, but I'll be looking to change that as soon as I get facilities up and going. Does the Minnesota falconers assc, do any fall or winter meets ? Do you guys have any passage Goshawks that winter in southern MN, or do they migrate further south?
    -Roe

I will wait for a couple of the more experienced members to speak but we look forward too having you join the group!
    Phil Kaiyalethe

Thread Information