Thread: Hello from Southern California

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you go to the CA Hawking Club website it has the steps that you should take to get into falconry. The California Hawking Club has members throughout the entire state. I am sure that there are members close to you. Maybe someone on here from CA will chime in and give you more info.
    http://www.calhawkingclub.org/app_info.htm

"4. After you've passed the falconry exam and joined the CHC, contact the CHC and, after determining your dedication and motivation, you'll be given some potential sponsor contacts. Caution: This is after you've proven you're really serious about this, in other words, after you've passed the falconry exam and joined the club. It seems like a lot of work. Heck, it is a lot of work!......"
    ~Jessica

wait, sponsor = mentor?

I thought a mentor was someone who trains you for 2 yrs and a sponsor is... I have no clue..

ah, think I get it now. They're the same.

So the best way would be to pass the test first, then find a sponsor?
    Last edited by Catharsis; 07-31-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    -Daniel
    "In a universe filled with wonder,humans have invented boredom...quite remarkable" -The Hogfather

Every apprentice needs a sponsor. Sponsor=Mentor. Your sponsor is the person who will teach you about the sport of falconry.
    ~Jessica

So the best way would be to pass the test first, then find a sponsor?(via CHC). I suppose that way they know I'm serious.
    Anywhere that I can get those studying materials for free or purchase 2nd hand?
    Last edited by Catharsis; 07-31-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    -Daniel
    "In a universe filled with wonder,humans have invented boredom...quite remarkable" -The Hogfather

Before you take the test you should probably make sure that you really want to pursue the sport of falconry. It is a lifestyle that is a major commitment and it can be pretty expensive. You should definitely go on hunts with falconers to see the sport first hand. Definitely make plans to go the the annual field meet in CA (http://www.calhawkingclub.org/news.htm). Hopefully someone in CA on this forum can help get you in contact with local falconers so that you can go on a few hunts. Until then....read....read ...and then read some more. Also, contact the CA Department of Fish and Game and request a falconry information packet.

The modern apprentice website is a great source for studying. You can also use the search button on this forum and look up any questions you have. There are also free online practice falconry tests. Look on the apprentice discussion sub forum: http://www.nafex.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Also you will want to buy the California Hawking Club: Apprentice Study Guide. There are many other books that will help also.
    ~Jessica

Yea I couldn't figure out where that meet is. Somewhere in Utah?'

-Yea I'm not interested in owning a Peregrine, I know they're an endangered species.

Another reason is that one of my life goals is to unravel the mystery of human and animal consciousness. I thought it would be better to be closer to a wild animal. Originally I wanted to own a Caracal (which can be trained to hunt birds), but those are illegal in California.

Do you guys think falcons are capable of thought / emotions? Anecdotes welcome.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 07-31-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    -Daniel

Hi Daniel,
    I just wanted to point out the the Peregrine is no longer endangered or even threatened here in north america, thanks mainly to the efforts of the falconry community here. Welcome to NAFEX!
    All the Best,
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Do you guys think falcons are capable of thought / emotions?
    Definately, they think I am going to fly, I am going to catch, I am going to eat! Yummm, all full, now I am going to go rest! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Daniel,

Yes, sponsor and mentor are the same things. As far as the actual cost of the bird....

You mention Peregrine. As an apprentice you won't be allowed to have a peregrine (this could change soon more about that in a bit). There are only two birds that an apprentice in CA can have, A passage redtail, or an American Kestrel.

The legal aspects of falconry are a combination of State Laws and Federal Laws. The Federal Laws form what becomes the basis for the state laws. The states are allowed to be more restrictive, but not more lenient. Recently the Federal regulations were changed and, among other things, will provide for an apprentice to have a Passage Retail, American Kestrel, "or any other captive bred falconry bird." Each state is given a deadline to come into compliance with these new regulations. If I remember correctly the deadline for compliance is Jan 1, 2014, but I'm not totally positive on the date. So if CA comes into compliance before you are ready for your first bird, you could, theoretically, have a Peregrine for your first bird, as long as it was captive bred, and as long as your sponsor is ok with it.

Captive bred peregrines do cost money. I've seen them go from $800-$1500. Regardless, before you can get a Peregrine, you've got lots of other hurdles to tackle first.

I live in WA but I attended the West Coast Falconry Academy's "Apprentice Seminar." It was a weekend workshop and is put on by the current President of CHC, Jim Tigand. It's held in Marysville, CA and I think the next one is in October. If you do attend that seminar, you'll know by the end of the weekend if you want to proceed. Also, the staff there will bend over backwards to help find you a suitable sponsor if your're having trouble finding one yourself. They will have had a few days to get to know you and can then contact prospective sponsors and give them an informed report on who you are. The seminar isn't mandatory or required and most don't go that route but my wife and I found it very help and worth the money. You can get more info here http://www.westcoastfalconry.com/mai...pprentice.html

If you're serious about falconry, the other thing to mention is that you should set your sights on next fall (2010) and not this fall. There just isn't enough time to take the test, make your mews, find a sponsor, and trap a bird with enough of the season left to train and hunt the bird. You can really enjoy the process by shooting for Fall 2010 and not feel rushed. (You'll still feel rushed anyway).

You might also think about getting some good falconry books. Everyone here has their own opinion of what those are but I've found "North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks" by Beebee and Webster and "The Redtailed Hawk" by Mcgranaghan to be very helpful. The CHC study guide is also a life saver when it comes to studying for the written exam. (If you think you might go that Apprentice seminar, you'll get a copy of the CHC study guide there so don't buy one before hand.)

Good luck,

Dan
    Last edited by WinsorWoods; 07-31-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the link to West Coast Falconry
    Dan

Thread Information