Thread: Thanks to Nafex

Default Thanks to Nafex

I want to thank Chris and Paul for creating and moderating NAFEX. I am a total rookie, I have never posted a message or been involved in this type of communication before. NAFEX is an incredible resource for falconers. It is a real service that helps falconers communicate. We are all unique and come from different backgrounds and live in different places, but we all have the love of falconry in common. In any discussion, we are all going to have different ideas like the best way to trap a hawk, the best way to man and train a hawk. But, by open discussion we can learn from others and improve our falconry skills. Although disagreements will naturally occur, it is important to listen to others and be tolerant of our differences. The things we can learn from other falconers, could save our bird some day. With all the discussion on NAFEX, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to moderate each and every post. My hat is off to Chris and Paul for performing this duty, so that NAFEX can continue to be a valuable service to the falconry community!

I want to thank NAFEX for allowing The American Falconry Conservancy(AFC) to participate in this forum. It is a priviledge to be involved and I hope that this organization is of benefit to other falconers.

The AFC was originally created out of necessity. For many years there was no political changes in the falconry landscape and it was very stable. Within the last few years the USFWS has made changes that has affected all american falconers and thrust us all into participation. Huge changes in falconry are occuring as a result of USFWS eliminating the federal permit, the total rewrite of the federal falconry regulations, the rewriting of the propagation regulations and allowing the take of passage and eyas peregrines just to name a few. All falconers have a voice in these changes and can communicate their individual opinions to the federal government and the states. However, if you are a member of a falconry organization within your state or nationally, the organization can sometimes have a larger impact with the state agency or the federal government because it represents more falconers. We all know this occurs politically with PACs and other large organizations, like audubon who lobby to accomplish their goals. NAFA is the largest falconry organization and they represent many falconers point of view. The AFC was formed by individuals to represent particular viewpoints related to all the changes in falconry. Issues involving the new falconry regulations, peregrine take, non resident take of raptors, and falconers rights are a few of these that the AFC working on. There is not 100% agreement within the falconry community on any of these issues, and the same holds true for any state or national falconry organization. But I am sure that each and every falconer and falconry organization is doing its best to improve falconry for us all.

The AFC has already accomplished many things for falconers. We will continue to fight for falconers rights, as well as the ability to trap and use wild and domestically bred raptors for the sport of falconry across state lines. This organization highly values the opinions of its members and works to fulfill their goals and wishes. We spend about 99% of our funds on political action to represent falconers. The future of our sport depends on being involved politically with state agencies and the US government, therefore we feel that this is money well spent. I invite you all to view our website, in progress, and to talk to any member including myself about questions you may have. Like all individuals, we may answer differently, but I believe we all have very similar goals.
    WWW. falconryconservancy.org

Thanks! Jim Ingram AFC president

to NAFEX Jim! Glad to have you on here!

By the way, no need to be all business on here. What are you flying or plan on flying this fall?
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Jim. In light of recent events I appreciate your post very much. Besides Chris and I, there is also Wes Collins and Kory Koch who moderate here, both of whom have been at longer than I. In fact, if doggone Wes hadn't been away on vacation the past few weeks I think it probably would have him, and not me, embroiled in the recent controversy.

We all want the same things - access to birds and land and game to fly them on.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Thanks Jim. In light of recent events I appreciate your post very much. Besides Chris and I, there is also Wes Collins and Kory Koch who moderate here, both of whom have been at longer than I. In fact, if doggone Wes hadn't been away on vacation the past few weeks I think it probably would have him, and not me, embroiled in the recent controversy.

We all want the same things - access to birds and land and game to fly them on.

Thanks Paul. I am glad vacation fell when it did

Glad to have you Jim.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I'm a rookie on this forum, but I have to say , Right on and that's exactly right. Jeff

Welcome aboard, Jim!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

You have it right Paul!
    "We all want the same things - access to birds and land and game to fly them on."

Thanks to you all for the welcome! It will take me awhile to figure this out how to do this.
    Jim

Fred,
    I will be flying my intermewed female anatum. I love watching the big long wings fly! For the last 3 years I have flown aplomado falcons and had a blast. I put together a breeding project with the help of Jim Nelson. I did not have young this year, but my hopes are high for next year and then I will fly one of my own birds. I love those aplomado falcons! The are gamey and are fun!

My appologies to Wes and Kory. Great Job to you all with NAFEX!

Hi Jim. Welcome. It's good to see you here.

Dan McCarron
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Jim,

I would like to welcome you to NAFEX. I have not had the pleasure of meeting you in person but we have some mutual friends that speak very highly of you.

Thank you for the kind words regarding NAFEX. The past few weeks have been rough but it comes with the territory and we will keep on trucking. We can't make everyone happy but try our hardest. You summed it best with, "Although disagreements will naturally occur, it is important to listen to others and be tolerant of our differences." I couldn't have said it better.

NAFEX's main goal is to get information out to falconers in a proactive and non-confrontational way. Although most of our information pertains to falconry in the USA, we do enjoy our international members. I feel it is important that we all work together to keep our sport alive for generations to come.

I feel AFC and NAFEX are a great fit. Jason, Eric and Bridget have done a fantastic job with keeping NAFEX up to date with AFC information and current issues. I can't thank them enough for being so active in making the AFC section a welcome addition to NAFEX.

Both of our organizations are going to have some trying times ahead. Some will be for us and some will do there best to be against us. We can learn from all of these interactions and grow as a stronger voice for falconers.

I look forward to the future with the AFC. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you ever need anything. Thank you again for posting and I look forward to meeting you in the near future.

happy hawking to you

Chris
    Last edited by Chris L.; 08-01-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Thanks Chris!

Jim,

I have asked this to several AFC directors and they all say soon. LOL When is AFC going to have stuff for sale (t-shirts, stickers, patches, etc.)? It is time!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information