Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Addition

Rock on Paul & Freida!

That is very cool! Congratulations on # 10!

Jimmy Guest

You may have said, Paul, but I don't recall. Is she a NM bird? And how big is she?

That is great!!!!! I am curious what she weighs too.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    You may have said, Paul, but I don't recall. Is she a NM bird? And how big is she?
    Hi Jimmy,

Yup, she came from a NM nest, down in Noah's and Jim's corner of the state. She's taking jacks at 1000g even. She has huge feet and an attitude to KILL. She gets so wound up in the afternoon when I pull into the driveway that I have to perch her out to weather - to chill out - for 10 minutes while I'm getting ready or else I can't get a weight on her because she's so hyper. I'm not sure I'd recommend trying to fly two goshawks during the same season to anyone, puts my blood pressure through the roof - I need a longwing to even things out.....hmm maybe a prairie...I didn't say that.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Hi Jimmy,

Yup, she came from a NM nest, down in Noah's and Jim's corner of the state. She's taking jacks at 1000g even. She has huge feet and an attitude to KILL. She gets so wound up in the afternoon when I pull into the driveway that I have to perch her out to weather - to chill out - for 10 minutes while I'm getting ready or else I can't get a weight on her because she's so hyper. I'm not sure I'd recommend trying to fly two goshawks during the same season to anyone, puts my blood pressure through the roof - I need a longwing to even things out.....hmm maybe a prairie...I didn't say that.

That must be really satisfying to have pulled the bird yourself! I pulled a coop once and I thought that was just the neatest thing to know that I climbed that tree and got her. Sounds like you have done a great job with her. Are you going to Abilene to the meet? I hope so, I would like to see her fly. I like my little Daniel, but next year I am going to fly a female HH or possibly a Gos. I imagine it will be a HH. If it wasn't so late in the season, I would go get a wild one right now. I can get more jack flights than bunny flights and I like the jack flights because they are so long! How long of a slip will the gos take? If she sees ears a hundred yards away does she take off?

Everyone needs a prairie, right?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    That must be really satisfying to have pulled the bird yourself! I pulled a coop once and I thought that was just the neatest thing to know that I climbed that tree and got her. Sounds like you have done a great job with her. Are you going to Abilene to the meet? I hope so, I would like to see her fly. I like my little Daniel, but next year I am going to fly a female HH or possibly a Gos. I imagine it will be a HH. If it wasn't so late in the season, I would go get a wild one right now. I can get more jack flights than bunny flights and I like the jack flights because they are so long! How long of a slip will the gos take? If she sees ears a hundred yards away does she take off?

Everyone needs a prairie, right?
    Thanks. She's far from perfect, reflection of me and my shortfalls. I also climbed for my tiercel and despite his idiosnycrasies he's the coolest bird, piss and vinegar - balls to the wall - his name is Lou also. I should take some pics of him at our next outing.

No, Abilene is not in the forecast, I'll try and make it out to Jimmy's for a weekend of hunting sometime in January though, I'll let you know and maybe we could meet up.

Frieda won't go for slips that are way out there, or where the jack is not flushing. Her first jack was a sitter though, she bushwhacked it behind a bush. She is taking longer slips now though, depending on her mood (weight) she'll go for anything that flushes within a 50 yard radius, and she'll chase for a very long way. She gets really PO'd if she hits the jack and it gets away, she'll just keep going until either she gets it or it just leaves her in the dust, I guess she's got tenacity - gotta love it!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Here's the only pic of lou i got that turned out well when i came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Thanks. She's far from perfect, reflection of me and my shortfalls. I also climbed for my tiercel and despite his idiosnycrasies he's the coolest bird, piss and vinegar - balls to the wall - his name is Lou also. I should take some pics of him at our next outing.

No, Abilene is not in the forecast, I'll try and make it out to Jimmy's for a weekend of hunting sometime in January though, I'll let you know and maybe we could meet up.

Frieda won't go for slips that are way out there, or where the jack is not flushing. Her first jack was a sitter though, she bushwhacked it behind a bush. She is taking longer slips now though, depending on her mood (weight) she'll go for anything that flushes within a 50 yard radius, and she'll chase for a very long way. She gets really PO'd if she hits the jack and it gets away, she'll just keep going until either she gets it or it just leaves her in the dust, I guess she's got tenacity - gotta love it!
    Thanks for the info Paul. Yeah, if it is at all possible, I will ride up to meet ya......in person.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Thread Information