Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now its my Turn

Default Now its my Turn

Here is my newest addition to the family. He is 21 days old yesterday. I am really excited about him. I am not going to keep a very detailed log, but I will post a photo log!!

hope you all enjoy, I know I am [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

... he loved it outside!!!

~Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "

1) camera is amazing
    2) bird is gorgous
    3) who bred him?

Very cool Chris. hmmmmmmmm is that a professional photography backdrop [smilie=dontknow.gif]
    Thanks,
    Wes

Default Half & Half

Chris L.
    A there is left is to get him to smile for the photo's Nice pictures
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Nice looking bird [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] but please some details.

Jimmy Guest

Send him back, Chris. He looks defective......... [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

outhawkn Guest

Nice! Very nice! Jimmy said he looked defective and you should send him back. I agree, you should send him somewhere and you hyave my address ..Right? [smilie=banana.gif]

Great looking bird, hope you enjoy .

Congrats!

Awesome pics, great looking bird and I can't wait to see him on his 1st kill!
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Default Beautiful!!

He's a beaut Chris, nice going. He's really yellow too. The tiercel I pulled 5 years ago was also really yellow right out of the nest, there was a plucked dove in the nest when I climbed into it. This new female is pale in comparison, I wonder if her diet was composed more of mammals?

Keep the pics coming!

Paul

Default Re: Beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Boy
    1) camera is amazing
    2) bird is gorgous
    3) who bred him?
    Thanks Noah,
    He was bred by a guy named Mike Atzet in Idaho. I have to say I would get a bird from him any day. he also has pure finnish gos's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6
    Very cool Chris. hmmmmmmmm is that a professional photography backdrop [smilie=dontknow.gif]
    [smilie=eusa_think.gif] .. trying to take it up another level with m y photo skills. Its a work n progress.

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton
    Chris L.
    A there is left is to get him to smile for the photo's Nice pictures
    [smilie=icon_pidu.gif] .. I had him take some good shots, he is a camera hound for sure.. thanks Ev

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Nice looking bird [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] but please some details.
    Lee, he is a finnish/Geman gos. I am really wanting to make a donor out of him as well.. So we will see what comes of it. It will be a long 4-5 years but it will be worth it in the long run for sure

I will post some more pcitures tonight and some weights.

He is eating great and standing pretty good now.

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn
    Nice! Very nice! Jimmy said he looked defective and you should send him back. I agree, you should send him somewhere and you hyave my address ..Right? [smilie=banana.gif]

Great looking bird, hope you enjoy .
    Bill and Jimmy.. Hmmmm, I think your right he does look a little off, but hey I am "special" too. [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Slikkers
    Congrats!

Awesome pics, great looking bird and I can't wait to see him on his 1st kill!
    Lee, Thanks brother.. I will keep ya posted for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi
    He's a beaut Chris, nice going. He's really yellow too. The tiercel I pulled 5 years ago was also really yellow right out of the nest, there was a plucked dove in the nest when I climbed into it. This new female is pale in comparison, I wonder if her diet was composed more of mammals?

Keep the pics coming!

Paul
    Paul,

Thank you for the compliments. What are you feeding your new girl?

The breeder did feed some mice and quail. A variety of both. I am doing the same and adding some rats to it as well.

I will post more pics

Thank you again to everyone for the warm wishes and the compliments. I really am looking forward to him and he ahs touched my heart. I really am enjoying it
    ~Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "

Hows your bird? Have you named it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Hows your bird? Have you named it yet?
    Lee,
    His name is Jack. I dont know how it came about but we just started calling him that.. he just acts like and looks like a Jack. [smilie=dontknow.gif] .

He is a great bird so far. No screaming and such a pleasure. He is very tolerant of anything and loves people. Took him to a crowded area today with people all around him and bombarding him and he did nothing but look at them and preen. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] .. soo all is well so far.

Here is his first kill... well sort of. I placed a quail in with him while he was sleeping. When he woke up he attacked it and started to break into it... I was a proud papa for sure.

here are some pictures... he is growing like crazy!!!

~Chris L.

outhawkn Guest

Chris, This is a gripe session so beware! I think you ought to take that camera and throw it away. I am exceedingly happy when I get A picture to print and post. And then along comes Chris and makes my photo skills look...well, I cant print how bad they look. So now thanks to you, I have to get out the instruction book and (gulp) read it. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Really, nice, [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] very nice photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn
    Chris, This is a gripe session so beware! I think you ought to take that camera and throw it away. I am exceedingly happy when I get A picture to print and post. And then along comes Chris and makes my photo skills look...well, I cant print how bad they look. So now thanks to you, I have to get out the instruction book and (gulp) read it. [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Really, nice, [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] very nice photo's.
    Bill, LOL.. man I have to be honest.. I do nothing but point and shoot. The Camera does it all. I too have a instruction book reading dysfunction, so this is proof its the camera and not me.

Thank you for the compliments it really makes it worth while to take them when others enjoy them as much as I do. I really have found another piece of equipment that is essential in a falconers arsenal . A great camera really creates lasting memories for sure...
    ~Chris L.

Chris........Super bird........good luck!!!!!................jm

I have been slack and not posted picks of Jack in a while [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif] . So here are some updated photos. He is doing great and doesn't make a peep... Unless he is just being vocal when he is footing something or getting excited. He has been great and is turning out better than I had expected.

I hope he stays as he is when the weight starts to come off.. we will see [smilie=dontknow.gif]

Kelly, Jack loves the jesses as well [smilie=icon_thumright.gif].. they work great, thank you
    ~Chris L.

Chris:
    Nice [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

He looks great Chris, what does he weigh?

Jimmy Guest

update????

outhawkn Guest

Hello? Hellooo? Anyone there? Update???

CHRIS!!!!!!! Update??!!!
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Jimmy Guest

Damn dude!
    Surely you didn't screw him up so bad that you won't let us know how he's doing??? [smilie=eusa_sick.gif] [smilie=smileys13.gif]
    If you did, lie to us..... [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

Now Jimmy - I bet he's real busy - or broke that awesome camera or something.??
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by kimmerar
    Now Jimmy - I bet he's real busy - or broke that awesome camera or something.??
    It has been nuts around my casa this past few weeks. so Sorry guys all is well. As Kim said I am up to my ears in projects and work I have barley anytime to get on to post.

Enough about me [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif] .. lets get to Jack.

He is doing great. He has taken 6 baggies so far and his transferring to the lure is better than I would have ever expected. As soon as he breaks in, the lure comes out, and I hit the whistle, he is on it like white on rice. There is zero hesitation for the transfer

He doesn't carry the lure nor mantles over it . He lets me hook him back up and we sit there until he is done.
    He is not a fierce killer, but he does the job for sure. He is learning and is as docile as a cat.

I am now tethering him in the mews during the day and bringing him in at night and he is doing great with that. He loves it outside and loves to lock on anything that fly's

Kim mentioned my camera so here you go. Here are some pics of him today.

-----

--Jack having fun with my JRT

--Jack on a baggie

.....And I saved the best for last , best buddies

~Chris L.

Great Pictures.

Looks and sounds great. So are you going to give in to the urge to fly him some?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Looks and sounds great. So are you going to give in to the urge to fly him some?
    Wes, Thanks, Yeah i think I will mainly night hawk and car hawk him. I am just taking my time with him and not pushing him to hard. It seems to be working so far. He really has become a great bird and I am now hooked on imprints for sure...
    ~Chris L.

You will have so much fun with him like that, but I predict you will be in the field eventually. I think the draw will be too strong. Imprints are great when all things are firing correctly. IMHO not a better experience in falconry. When the little stinkers are misfiring though, it can be tough too. No risk..............no success though in most things.
    Thanks,
    Wes

You will have so much fun with him like that, but I predict you will be in the field eventually. I think the draw will be too strong. Imprints are great when all things are firing correctly. IMHO not a better experience in falconry. When the little stinkers are misfiring though, it can be tough too. No risk..............no success though in most things.
    I probably will hit the field way late in the year. I want him to build his confidence and really trust me with his rewards and kills. I wont push him to do doubles this first year. If I can get that trust and relationship for this first the rest will be great. .. We will see for sure
    ~Chris L.

He looks great Chris, congratulations on progress so far.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi
    He looks great Chris, congratulations on progress so far.

Paul
    Paul,
    thank you. Lets hope it stays this way.
    ~Chris L.

Chris,

Thanks for finally posting an update on this little guy. BTW, what is his weight? Has he penned yet?

Best not to make plans of only single kills quite yet.. These tercil goshawks can get so good that you might not even be able to get him a workout on a single kill.

That is the beauty of a good accipiter!

Great pictures dude!

Thanks for the update Chris. Glad your camera still works. Jack still has those really yellow feet too!! Can't wait to hear hunting stories.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by KidK
    Chris,

Thanks for finally posting an update on this little guy. BTW, what is his weight? Has he penned yet?

Best not to make plans of only single kills quite yet.. These tercil goshawks can get so good that you might not even be able to get him a workout on a single kill.

That is the beauty of a good accipiter!

Great pictures dude!
    Kory, No problem I am just slack these day with my posts.. to frigin busy [smilie=BangHead.gif] .. Thanks for compliments on the pics. Most of the credit goes to the camera.. It is pretty nice and it doesn't hesitate to fire off for sure. I just start letting her rip..

Well He has hard penned for sure and is still doing great. When he is fat he is 840 grams. Today I had him down to 758 before he finally left for the baggy with out hesitation. In the morning he was 760 and didn't think twice about the quail.. he wasnt even interested. He just wanted to watch other birds, but those 2 grams and not eating that morning finally got his mind into it. I am wanting to drop him about 5 more and see what happens. I still am slowly working him into this.

Thanks again
    ~Chris L.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L.
    Well He has hard penned for sure and is still doing great. When he is fat he is 840 grams. Today I had him down to 758 before he finally left for the baggy with out hesitation. In the morning he was 760 and didn't think twice about the quail.. he wasnt even interested. He just wanted to watch other birds, but those 2 grams and not eating that morning finally got his mind into it. I am wanting to drop him about 5 more and see what happens. I still am slowly working him into this.

Thanks again
    Chris,

Whoa, he sounds like a good size bird. My Spunk (Midwest parents) kills at 650 grams, and he seems on the small size for an Eastern Goshawk. Skeeter, my other tercil kills at around 700 grams.

I am sure you will have some dialing in to do with him, but it sounds like you are off to a great start dude! What are you hawking plans for him this season?

Please keep us posted!

Thread Information