Thread: Falconry for disabled?

Default Falconry for disabled?

Hello,

I am very interested in falconry, but I have a disability and use a wheelchair. Would falconry be impossible for me?

Thanks.

I think if you could get in and out of an ATV, then you could probably practice at least some kinds of falconry. You could also get a friend to go with you often. I know some falconers that meet each morning and hawk together.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Hey guy, aspects of it would be difficult, but the old saying where there is a will there is a way comes to mind. Accessibility to the field and types of birds/quarry would have to be worked out. But I think if you wind it around your head enough, with some creative ideas, you could do it. Good luck, tony
    tony

car hawkin' would probably be a good option with some help.
    -Ryan

Thanks for the replies. I should mention that I'm in Wisconsin, so if there are members of a WI falconry club here, I would enjoy hearing from them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by farflung View Post
    Hello,

I am very interested in falconry, but I have a disability and use a wheelchair. Would falconry be impossible for me?

Thanks.
    Hell No it wouldn't be impossible. There is a falconer in WA who flys longwings and is in a wheel chair. The late John Noble was legally blind, that never stopped him. He couldn't see further than 300 feet. I remember back in the late 90's John and I were hawking ducks. Boom!! He fell in a hole. He thought he broke his leg. When I asked him what he wanted me to do he answered, "Flush the ducks!"

Personally I'd say you were inconvienced being in a wheelchair but you can always work around that.

Good luck

Hi Farflung,

Welcome to NAFEX! I'm sure folks here will have good ideas to help you in making some difficult decisions. I think it would be possible to be a falconer with your disability, but I really think you'll need the help of a partner.

Also, please sign your posts, first name is fine, it keeps things on a friendly tone.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm not too concerned about getting into the field, in fact there is a state park within 40 minutes that allows hunting and it's open and flat with plenty of accessible trails, paths and roads. I'm more concerned about the daily care, building mews and such. I would, no doubt, need a partner/sponsor with a lot of patience and time - I'm not so sure I can find one...

Thanks again,

C.J.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm not too concerned about getting into the field, in fact there is a state park within 40 minutes that allows hunting and it's open and flat with plenty of accessible trails, paths and roads. I'm more concerned about the daily care, building mews and such. I would, no doubt, need a partner/sponsor with a lot of patience and time - I'm not so sure I can find one...

Thanks again,

C.J.
    CJ,

Its really this simple - examine your limitations, examine what you want to accomplish - and work to bridge the gulf through creativity and effort.

Really, thats all it takes. Of course, there are some absolute limits, but your not faced with anything that is all that tough to overcome.

I have a disability as well. I have 4 kids and a mortgage. That really makes falconry tough.

Geoff Hirschi
    Seattle, Wa

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchellbrad View Post
    ...The late John Noble was legally blind, that never stopped him. He couldn't see further than 300 feet. I remember back in the late 90's John and I were hawking ducks. Boom!! He fell in a hole. He thought he broke his leg. When I asked him what he wanted me to do he answered, "Flush the ducks!"

Personally I'd say you were inconvienced being in a wheelchair but you can always work around that.

Good luck
    When I first started my journey in falconry back in the mid 80's, John & Dave (my former sponsor) Noble came by and John demo pigeon flight with his prairie falcon. It performed flawlessly and I never realized that John was legally blind until mentioned that he couldn't see too far and missed most of the flight....

Tou
    Tou Yang

Quote Originally Posted by touyang View Post
    When I first started my journey in falconry back in the mid 80's, John & Dave (my former sponsor) Noble came by and John demo pigeon flight with his prairie falcon. It performed flawlessly and I never realized that John was legally blind until mentioned that he couldn't see too far and missed most of the flight....

Tou
    That's funny because I kept forgetting all the time. Once I had this little hybrid tiercel who had grounded a wild immature prairie falcon. I took off and asked John to drive to the road. He did his best but I think he didn't miss a boulder in the entire field.

John couldn't see much of anything. He used to sit in the passager's seat with a pair of binoc's held up to his eyes. Sometimes it worked very well.

AFter John got cancer he stopped by to show me some birds he'd brought back with him. He sort of laughed he'd come down with it last year and missed the season. He was hoping any relapse would hold off until his season was finished. It didn't. He never had another falconry season.

Brad
    Last edited by Mitchellbrad; 08-11-2009 at 12:40 PM.

One of our top Eagle falconers in the UK has had dodgy hips since childhood.
    Doesnt stop him hawking, he just uses an Agrocat to get around scottish glens that send able bodied men home looking like refugees from sheer exhaustion. Doesnt stop him flying his Golden Eagles up in those hills!!
    If you really want to do it, you'll not let a disability hold you back.
    ~Evan
    You are kiillllling-a my bizinisss! You take the foods outa my cheldrens mouf wif your hacking. I tell FBI.

Hello,

Thanks.
    Jeff Rossi in WA is disabled and flies a longwing, he uses an ATV. I bought a peregrine from Jeff years ago, great guy that could provide you some first hand information. He had a tough time finding a sponsor but eventually did. I don't have his contact info handy but I could probably find it tonight at home.
    Eric Edwards

I'd say, go for it. I'm sure you have already overcome great adversities in life. Learning the art of falconry should be no problem for you.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    Jeff Rossi in WA is disabled and flies a longwing, he uses an ATV. I bought a peregrine from Jeff years ago, great guy that could provide you some first hand information. He had a tough time finding a sponsor but eventually did. I don't have his contact info handy but I could probably find it tonight at home.
    Yes, Jeff is a great guy. Very friendly and very helpful. Well, I have heard he isnt that nice to his hunting companions that are on foot because he wont slow down for them, but I've never spent time with him in the field.

When he was an apprentice he recieved a special variance on the Federal and State rules to get a Harris' hawk since he would be hawking off an ATV. That wouldnt be nessicary with the new changes to the Federal rules that allow apprentices to have Harris's hawks anyway.

Personally, I dont think it would have been much tougher for him to fly a redtail off an ATV than a Harris, but I certainly dont fault him, and I dont fault the State at all for being accomodating.

Geoff Hirschi
    Seattle, Wa

Thanks for the replies. I should mention that I'm in Wisconsin, so if there are members of a WI falconry club here, I would enjoy hearing from them as well.
    Hello,

What part of Wisconsin are you from?
    Joe Ballone
    Upper Michigan

Mathew Mullenix's book about Kestrels addresses flying them in town.

Kestrels need very little room and I would think almost anyone in a wheelchair could easily accommadate a Kestrel without any outside help....and Kestrels can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post
    Mathew Mullenix's book about Kestrels addresses flying them in town.

Kestrels need very little room and I would think almost anyone in a wheelchair could easily accommadate a Kestrel without any outside help....and Kestrels can be a lot of fun.
    Rolling along the sidewalk with your kestrel on a T-perch above the back of your chair. You spot a small flock of starlings or sparrows feeding and as you move closer the kestrel is off and chasing. {You might even be able to get closer in a wheelchair then most people could walking.} If it misses you have it trained to return to the glove or perch and your off again. Otherwise you roll up along side for the transfer. That would probably be legal even in the places that carhawking isn't. You would have to check on the municipalities hunting ordinances.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

I'm not positive, but I think Hawkmaster on th IFF is in a wheel chair and hawks alot. Ask Brandi I'd bet she would know
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    I'm not positive, but I think Hawkmaster on th IFF is in a wheel chair and hawks alot. Ask Brandi I'd bet she would know
    Paul (Hawkmaster) is not in a wheel chair.....
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    ...You might even be able to get closer in a wheelchair then most people could walking.....
    That's probably true. When I want to shoot the ground squirrels around the yard, I would hop on my lawn mower just do a drive by and usually get to within 5 yards and instead of scurrying into their holes, they would stand up on their hind legs to watch me "mow" the lawn giving me a perfect shot every time.

Tou
    Tou Yang

Thanks again, everyone. For the person who asked, I am in Milwaukee, WI.

I'll certainly look into the book by Mathew Mullenix as I continue to consider things and problem solve.

Best to all of you,

C.J.

If you havn't already done so, I'd recommend checking out the Wisconsin Falconers Association website, and speaking with / meeting some local falconers. You may even be able to tag along on a hunt with someone this fall, and get some insight on whether you can figure out how to work through the challenges you'd be looking at.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dirthawking View Post
    Paul (Hawkmaster) is not in a wheel chair.....
    Thanks, I remembred seeing a picture of several falconers and one was in a wheel cair. I'm glad I said I wasnt positive...
    Bill

Thumbs up Missing Leg BK Amputee

Here i am with BK right leg amputee and hawk daily....plus all day Saturdays > 8 Hrs. plus......jm You can practice the sport!!!! Always be positive!!!!!!!!
    "You Promote What You Permit"...Hawkaholic Jim

There is a fella that has gone out with us from time to time. He has a van and pulls a John Deere Gator behind it. He moves from place to place in the Gator. We try to cater to him a little, but I don't think it is too necessary. I think with a little creativity, you could figure out a solution. Good luck in your endeavour.
    Andy Wahl
    Chico, CA

Quote Originally Posted by RTJim View Post

Here i am with BK right leg amputee and hawk daily....plus all day Saturdays > 8 Hrs. plus......jm You can practice the sport!!!! Always be positive!!!!!!!!
    Are you the one that convinced Marty he could still do it with one leg?
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Thread Information