Thread: Hello from KY

Default Hello from KY

Hi guys & gals. I just found this web-site the other day. I just thought I would introduce myself. Have been in falconry and a member of NAFA (off & on) since the early 80's.

Flown lots of birds but my passion is falcons and accipiters. Although, if I get up enough guts to move west I would love to fly a tiercel golden at jack rabbits.

I am currently only flying one bird at the moment...a tiercel gyr/merlin at doves. Was hoping for a female gos but it did not work out.

Anyway, love the hunting stories, pictures and training information.

Have a safe & productive hunting season.

David Harrer
    KY

Hey David, to NAFEX! Where in KY are you located? Anywhere to good sharpie pulling territory? LOL Lots of good folks on here and lots of interesting threads! Enjoy and don't be shy about posting pictures! We have lots of doves here in NC, so finding the best bird for that job is on my agenda in the future. Also have flown a coops and a gos, so definately want to do a sharpie to go full circle.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fred,

I live outisde Bowling Green in South Central KY. I have found a few sharpie nests over the years but the majority of them are located in western KY. If you are serious about pulling one let me now early next spring and I will see what I can do.

Of all the accipiters I have flown my last tiercel shapie had the best persoanlity. He was a great bird, wonderful personality and caught lots of game. If sparrows and starlings are you game I would recommend a tiercel.

As far as doves goes there are others who probably have more experience and knowledge. I have flown a female merlin, female perlin and my current tiercel gyr/merlin. My current gyr/merlin is getting better and more consistant with a good pitch but between the three my perlin was better.
    Maybe over time he will catch her but we will see.

David

Hi Dave welcome, This is a great site hope you enjoy it here.
    Barry
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

David, I might take you up on that sharpie invite in the future. I flew a merlin but haven't tried any of the hybrids yet. I have this thing about not paying for birds! LOL I am flying a male finnish gos for a friend and he is going back to him later this fall. I will be trapping a red-tail next month, just can't go without one again, too many squirrels around here. After the gos goes back, I will be trapping a falcon this fall. The type depends on if I win our state lottery for peregrine take, and if I don't win, it will be a female prairie when I am in Kansas on a hunting trip with some friends in November. Post some pictures of your bird if you have some, folks love pictures on here! You have to use a service like PhotoBucket to add them to your post. Just copy and paste the IMG link on Photobucket and insert it into your post. Let me know if you need any more help if you can't figure it out.

Would really love to see a picture of that male sharpie!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great to have you here!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Thanks Barry........ Lot’s of knowledgeable falconers on site. Hoping to steal ideas profusely.

P.S. Are you still planning on flying Apache this fall? I bet the old man still has it.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    Hi Dave welcome, This is a great site hope you enjoy it here.
    Barry

Fred,

My wife is really bad about saving all my pictures to disc. I have found a few but will have to locate the others. I will see if I can download them.

Would really love to see a picture of that male sharpie![/quote]

Hello, David. I met you years ago when I was kid. Don't know if you remember me. I know Tony talks to you from time to time. Good to see you here.

Yes I am planning on flying him... I would really like to see if I can get him carhawking on crows this year, it looks like it will be a good year for them... What do you think?
    Barry
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Thanks John..I do remerber you but it has been a few years. Did you fly a female gos and prairie at one time. I see that Tony has finally moved out into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hello, David. I met you years ago when I was kid. Don't know if you remember me. I know Tony talks to you from time to time. Good to see you here.

Barry,

Before when we went hunting he rode fine on my front seat so I would not think it would be a big issue. He loves birds so I would think he would do very well on crows.

Good luck and let me know how he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    Yes I am planning on flying him... I would really like to see if I can get him carhawking on crows this year, it looks like it will be a good year for them... What do you think?
    Barry

Hi David!

Welcome to NAFEX !

I live in Shelbyville and am looking forward to trapping my first RT in a couple weeks.

See ya,
    Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

If you Tony E. he would be a good guy to connect with. He tends to trap or know were a few passage birds are located.

I live in Shelbyville and am looking forward to trapping my first RT in a couple weeks.

See ya,
    Jeremy[/quote]

Default tiercel sharpie

Fred, Here is a picture of my last tiercel. I am still trying to figure out this photobuck process. Operator error....

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks John..I do remerber you but it has been a few years. Did you fly a female gos and prairie at one time. I see that Tony has finally moved out into the country.
    Yeah, but it was male gos. He's pretty excited about the house and all the space. I know he's going to be busy getting moved. I haven't talked to him in a week or so.

David,

Welcome to NAFEX. Thank you for saying hello. Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts on here. If you need anything let me know.

good looking sharpie!! Always wanted to fly one. Thank you for posting the pictures. How long did you fly him?

again Welcome

Chris
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Welcome aboard David,I think you'll like it here. Lots of good folks & different view points. Look forward to the dove stories. Best time I'v ever had with a longwing was dove hawking with a tiercel Peregrine/prairie.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Hey David,

Mike McCoy here, welcome aboard. Its been a long time since we talked, I think you still had Bud back then.
    I'm living in Trimble Co. and hunting with a tiercel Gos. Maybe we can meet up if you're in the Louisville area some time.
    Glad to see you on the forum.

Regards,
    Mike

Thanks Chris,

I flew him 3 seasons until a female coop took him from me. They are really bad about showing up looking for dinner. Great birds you just have to be really careful what is around. In a wooded environment that is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    David,

Welcome to NAFEX. Thank you for saying hello. Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts on here. If you need anything let me know.

good looking sharpie!! Always wanted to fly one. Thank you for posting the pictures. How long did you fly him?

again Welcome

Chris

Thanks Rich...this WE I plan to pull the gyr/merlin out of the chamber to the house. I find this is one of the best way to calm them down before the season starts. Hopefully in a month or so I will have some stories to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    Welcome aboard David,I think you'll like it here. Lots of good folks & different view points. Look forward to the dove stories. Best time I'v ever had with a longwing was dove hawking with a tiercel Peregrine/prairie.

Mike,

Mike..that has been a long time since I had Bud. This fall I would like to get to Louisville and hook up with some guys in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McCoy View Post
    Hey David,

Mike McCoy here, welcome aboard. Its been a long time since we talked, I think you still had Bud back then.
    I'm living in Trimble Co. and hunting with a tiercel Gos. Maybe we can meet up if you're in the Louisville area some time.
    Glad to see you on the forum.

Regards,
    Mike

Wow, I remember Bud. I've got pictures of you and him at the old Country Day field probably from 1983 or so. I remember you hunting with him one time across the street from there where there are storage sheds now. The small girders were laying in piles and there were a boat load of rabbits under them. Me you and Tony ran rabbit after rabbit out for Bud. I've got old pictures of that too. Didn't even think about that being your bird till Mike mentioned the name.

John,

What I am about to do takes a secure man to do. Attached is a picture from one of Ky old meets. Can you name the falconers....Mike should like this? Bud was my first accipiter and you can tell from his red-tail. He was a great tiercel gos that I got from a nest in Wyoming. Back then everybody said tiercel goshawks were not any good and died easy. He keep up with the girls and passed away at 13.

Wow, I didn't know he lived that long. That's great.

Standing, L to R: Larry, you, ?, Keith, Paul?,?, ?
    Kneeling, L to R: Joe, ?, ?, Tony, Dave, Mike.

That's funny because that's what all you guys look like in my old pictures from when I was a kid. Geez there were a lot of rabbits around here then.

Hello David!!.......and welcome to nafex. I'm a fellow kentucky falconer, years ago I hung out with Marvin Parish and Mark Roberts.

I just sent out an email to Ky. falconers about reviving the Ky. falconers association. You were on the list. I hope you got the email.

In a couple of weeks we should have a web site up. I'll send out an email when its up and running.

Close John.

Standing L to R: Larry Martin, Chris Beaks,? from Indiana, Keith Hix, Mike McCoy, ? from Indiana.
    Kneeling L to R: Joe ?, Me (nice hat), Tim Neese, Tony Englert, David Campbell, Mike Wilbourn.

Those were the hayday for rabbits. I beleive we caught over twenty that day. Now if I see twenty in a month I feel lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wow, I didn't know he lived that long. That's great.

Standing, L to R: Larry, you, ?, Keith, Paul?,?, ?
    Kneeling, L to R: Joe, ?, ?, Tony, Dave, Mike.

That's funny because that's what all you guys look like in my old pictures from when I was a kid. Geez there were a lot of rabbits around here then.

Todd,

I will be interested in joining. Not familiar with Marvin or Mark. We could have meet years ago......but memory not what it use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post
    Hello David!!.......and welcome to nafex. I'm a fellow kentucky falconer, years ago I hung out with Marvin Parish and Mark Roberts.

I just sent out an email to Ky. falconers about reviving the Ky. falconers association. You were on the list. I hope you got the email.

In a couple of weeks we should have a web site up. I'll send out an email when its up and running.

Default Come on up this weekend to the IFA Picnic!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi guys & gals. I just found this web-site the other day. I just thought I would introduce myself. Have been in falconry and a member of NAFA (off & on) since the early 80's.

Flown lots of birds but my passion is falcons and accipiters. Although, if I get up enough guts to move west I would love to fly a tiercel golden at jack rabbits.

I am currently only flying one bird at the moment...a tiercel gyr/merlin at doves. Was hoping for a female gos but it did not work out.

Anyway, love the hunting stories, pictures and training information.

Have a safe & productive hunting season.

David Harrer
    KY
    David,

Hi! Check out my post on the Indiana Falconers Association Picnic/Raffle which is this coming Saturday (8.22.09) at Brown County State Park in Nashville, IN. We always get several KY guys up. It's a great time and I'm sure lots of our guys would like to hear about your tiercel gyr/merlin. Let me know if you need any more info.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post

Thanks
    Todd King

I'm late in seeing some of these posts and the old pic of one of Ky Falconers Assoc. meets.
    Man, what memories that pic brings back! I remember Bud well. I 'd forgotten about his imped red-tail, LOL! He was a heck of a bird, you did a great job with him. I remember going over to your house in St. Matthews and seeing Bud run through the house when he was an eyass leaving a trail of down. You could look around and see his favorite roosts,, lol.
    David could you email me that pic? I'd sure like to have it as I have almost no photos from those days.

Hey Dave it's Keith over in Paducah Where'd you acquire the perlin?I've kinda been kickin' around the idea of going that direction in a year or two

Quote Originally Posted by KBuck View Post
    Hey Dave it's Keith over in Paducah Where'd you acquire the perlin?I've kinda been kickin' around the idea of going that direction in a year or two

Keith,

Been a long time hope all is going well. With all the rabbits you guy's have getting tired of flying them.

I currently have a tiercel gyr/merlin in his third season. This years he is starting to come into his own. My female perlin a was a few years back. She flew at 14 ounces and was a great bird. She caught everything from doves to mallards. I got her from Danny Ertsgaard in Oregon. In fact, I hace gotten all my falcons from him and have been happy with the results. I am not sure what they are selling for now but they are fun to fly as long as you have no issue using telementry.

I think my next dove bird will be a straight peregrine. I am starting to get tired of long telementry chases. While it is great that they catch a bird 1 mile away if you miss the flight....

Any way, if you need his number let me know. He is a great guy to work with.

Good luck,
    David

Thread Information