Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accipiter nisus for 2009

Pete as a direct question I would have said yes!
    As it was involved in another thread regarding a spar I took it that he thought I was hunting this female spar? Does this make sense? Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Here's what he asked "A long shot, but are you 'the Alf' that now has a black spar/gos hybrid?" So I figured he was asking 'Alf' if he was the one that had the black spar/gos...how many Alf's have a Black Spar/Gos anyway?LOL

Erik how’s your female spar coming along? Alf.

Well, the fist might not have been such a good choice. She started to get vocal. So I have been calling her to the lure again. She became silent for the most part in a few days of it. I should have known. I also found if I call her to the lure there is no mantling. If I call her up to the fist after she finishes her tid bit on the lure there is no mantling and she is silent. They have a weird scream to them. Kind of sounds like a halloween toy.
    I still haven't hit a good weight but am very close. Should be a few days before we start hunting.
    ~Erik Swanson~

Washed meat and stones will cause a hawk to fly;
    Long fasting and no castings will cause a hawk to die.

Quote Originally Posted by musketdaft View Post
    Pete as a direct question I would have said yes!
    As it was involved in another thread regarding a spar I took it that he thought I was hunting this female spar? Does this make sense? Alf.
    Not a problem mate. He was seeking information is all. Now he knows that you are one and the same (THE Alf, with THE BS/Gos).
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Erik I have flown loads of imprint female spars the only advise I will give you at this time is reduce to a response weight where you cant walk away 5 ft from this hawk before this hawk is on you and then reduce again! Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortwingn View Post
    Well, the fist might not have been such a good choice. She started to get vocal. So I have been calling her to the lure again. She became silent for the most part in a few days of it. I should have known. I also found if I call her to the lure there is no mantling. If I call her up to the fist after she finishes her tid bit on the lure there is no mantling and she is silent. They have a weird scream to them. Kind of sounds like a halloween toy.
    I still haven't hit a good weight but am very close. Should be a few days before we start hunting.

P.S. this hawk will stop screaming within a few weeks if and when you make the kills? Alf.

I have been doing daily bags with her since she could kill them. It keeps her very mellow. The screaming only came around after calling her to the fist. Looked good at first but I kind of felt that was coming and it did! I wasn't too worried about it as I kind of like a imprint that makes a little noise(very little). Keeps me from pulling out the telematry every 10 mins and it can be fixed early on with no problems.
    I do have to admit when I first saw the size of this bird I thought all those stories I heard were false. I have been astonished with the way she man handles Columbidae. She is very impressive!
    ~Erik Swanson~

Never been a big fan of baggies all you are doing is teaching your hawk to kill easy game when it comes to the crunch and they have to hunt the real stuff they mentally think there lacking. Just my own thoughts? Alf.

I have been doing daily bags with her since she could kill them. It keeps her very mellow. The screaming only came around after calling her to the fist. Looked good at first but I kind of felt that was coming and it did! I wasn't too worried about it as I kind of like a imprint that makes a little noise(very little). Keeps me from pulling out the telematry every 10 mins and it can be fixed early on with no problems.
    I do have to admit when I first saw the size of this bird I thought all those stories I heard were false. I have been astonished with the way she man handles Columbidae. She is very impressive!

After the first one or two I dont make them easy at all.
    ~Erik Swanson~

Erik is there any particular reason you’re giving baggies at all? Alf.

After the first one or two I dont make them easy at all.

Bags help with training. Its hard to do anti ~ carrying training on a first kill without a bag or teach a bird that your there to help. How do you teach a bird to take a sparrow out of the air and not carry? I guess in the first few kills I dont want a bird to have a bad experince. I want a bird to think it can do it right from the begining.
    ~Erik Swanson~

Erik is your hawk hunting wild game yet? Alf.

Bags help with training. Its hard to do anti ~ carrying training on a first kill without a bag or teach a bird that your there to help. How do you teach a bird to take a sparrow out of the air and not carry? I guess in the first few kills I dont want a bird to have a bad experince. I want a bird to think it can do it right from the begining.

She got her first wild kill on the creance. It was funny. She is going to fly free today or tomarrow.
    ~Erik Swanson~

She got her first wild kill on the creance. It was funny. She is going to fly free today or tomarrow.

You can't just leave it at that with no story.......................

or pics..............................
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Erik not being funny mate far from it but a spar at the age of your hawk should have chalked up a good few wild kills by now.
    If you need ante carrying training this could have been implement before hard pinning, that or start your hawk off on game it can’t carry until it trusts you that’s what I normally do.
    It’s not a race mate but you’re dragging your heels which could lead to problems with these spars. Alf.

Had a few hours to myself today, 1 pigeon, 1dove, 2 sparrows, and a starling.

~Erik Swanson~

That hawk's appearance leaves no doubt as to his intentions.

Nice job.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

It is a her, little tiny things! She finnaly found out she cant get geese and is now working on sea gulls. Funny little girl. She catches pigeons on a regular basis, doves no problem,(more tails than bodies) starlings are almost too easy.
    Still she is no Coops or Sharipe. Altogether a diffrent animal. Much slower but will chase until all get out. Its not uncommen to pick her up 1/4 mile away after a slip. Most of the time on a kill.(still wondering if it was the same slip to begin with) She has been the easist accipiter I have ever trained. No aggression and forgiving. Hell, half the time I just grab her and throw her. After that she will just come back like nothing ever happened. LOL Funny bird!
    ~Erik Swanson~

BTW, the pic was taken a few hours after she bounced head long off a Golds gym mirrored glass window.(I did think she was dead) You can still see the hair doo and blood.
    ~Erik Swanson~

Sorry Erik, for suggesting she has boy-ish looks.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

What sort of weight are you hunting this female? Alf

Yep looking at her right eye could be the photo but she looks concussed to me
    Should you really went on with the hunt if you thought your hawk nearly died?
    Just a thought? Alf.

BTW, the pic was taken a few hours after she bounced head long off a Golds gym mirrored glass window.(I did think she was dead) You can still see the hair doo and blood.

Concussed, and a vet as well? Do you Dx from photos that are reduced? Not too sharp are you there mate? The blood was from a scrape, that you can see in the pic.(look hard now) Oh and it was the left eye aera that got hit. Were you thinking a left to right contracoo type injury?
    If you give up and freak out that easy it explains alot! I got you now.
    ~Erik Swanson~

YOUR QUOTE NOT MINE?

Well I am pleased you have got me now!
    Look if your hawk hits a plate glass window and you think its dead do you continue the hunt?
    Nothing more to say on the matter hope your spar lives a long and happy life? Alf.

Concussed, and a vet as well? Do you Dx from photos that are reduced? Not too sharp are you there mate? The blood was from a scrape, that you can see in the pic.(look hard now) Oh and it was the left eye aera that got hit. Were you thinking a left to right contracoo type injury?
    If you give up and freak out that easy it explains alot! I got you now.

Is this the same bird that is now being offered on raptorsnest? How come? I thought it sounded like it was doing good?
    Pete J

Yeah I saw it on there today too... it got me curious.

There's no price listed... what do you think it should sell for?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

I guess it depends on what's up with it now. There wasn't much talk about it since it hit the window. So at this point who knows how messed up it it might be? Maybe it's just fine, but I thought it all odd...no more updates and now it's for sale?!
    Pete J

Pete it’s a shame it’s up for sale in the right hands these hawks are deadly. Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    I guess it depends on what's up with it now. There wasn't much talk about it since it hit the window. So at this point who knows how messed up it it might be? Maybe it's just fine, but I thought it all odd...no more updates and now it's for sale?!

Pete it’s a shame it’s up for sale in the right hands these hawks are deadly. Alf.
    Alf, you of all people know how much I want a spar, but I think I'd have to take a pass on this girl.
    I hope all is going well, great job on the hybrid!!!
    Best regards,
    Jeff

I can only imagine how much fun a Spar would be on quail in this part of the U.S., not to mention White-winged and Collared Doves. Ah well, we can't get around to flying them all now can we?
    Pete J

I decided to sell her as well as some of my other birds. A few other birds have become avalible to me that I would enjoy a bit more. The bird catches just about every day. She takes much larger prey than I expected. A quail field for this bird would be tits! Wish I had quail, huns and chuckers up here, she would do well.
    I guess the internet(even falconry bords) has some undesirable people on it. I chose not to associate with them. Hence, I have not been posting very much. Kind of a shame. Lots of good photos and stories.
    ~Erik Swanson~

I would fly the crap out of a spar and would love to have one, but the prices being asked for one are just ridiculous. If I had a pair on my breeding permit, I would produce them and sell them for a couple hundred bucks a piece just so folks could fly them over here. Oh well, the chances of me getting two breeding spars are about as much as me winning the lottery tonight! LOL

By the way Erik, how much are you asking for her? I might be interested!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information