Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found HH in Connecticut

I'm also willing to work on a database. I keep databases for all of my bird records. But, it would take LOTS of time and I expect to be paid for it. I'm thinking that USFWS would be able to outsource (contract) someone to keep the database. I strongly recommend using the program FileMakerPro. I currenly use an older version and find it excellent. Works for both Macs and PC's
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

The feds are going to have to have a national database eventually when the states go to online 3-186A's. It won't be a state database, but a federal one that each state has access. So once all states have online filling of 3-186A's, who ever has access to that database should be able to look up any banded bird.

Personally, I could create a simple one very easily that would be easy to keep updated if I had access to the 3-186A database, but I doubt they would allow me to have access to it. I created a program to keep a log for each of my birds and it keeps the history of each bird in the database forever. A much smaller scale than a national one, but still the same principle.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmom View Post
    I'm also willing to work on a database. I keep databases for all of my bird records. But, it would take LOTS of time and I expect to be paid for it. I'm thinking that USFWS would be able to outsource (contract) someone to keep the database. I strongly recommend using the program FileMakerPro. I currenly use an older version and find it excellent. Works for both Macs and PC's
    I'll commit one year of part time help to this cause. I've been thinking about seletively breeding chickens so I can reproduce the Cornish Cross Hybrid that is comparable to hatchery birds but I want this breeding program to be an open source breeding program. Basically the breeding analog to the Linux operating system. I don't think it's right for corporations to have the corner/patent/stranglehold on anything food related. (Sorry Personal opinions expressed here )

I'll need database experience to keep the proper records and I'd volunteer time to this cause because it's so similar with respect to what I want to do.

Please PM me if you can use the hand.

Dan
    Dan

There is already a Harris Hawk Database. Set up by Terry Bradshaw. Chris can post a link here.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Here is the link

http://home.comcast.net/~baywingdb/baywinghome.htm

the limiting factor with this and any data base is the falconer/breeder submitting the information.
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Agreed, but this is a very good database as far as what is available now. There is nothing more complete at this point and I think this database is extremely nice all things considered.
    Thank you Chris.
    After speaking with Gary I suspect his HH might already be in this database. He is certainly very familiar with the Coulsons' bloodlines. We need to have it right here at the ready, IMO.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

The problem with "us" keeping a database and not the feds is only "we" would have access to it. If a rehabber or Joe Blow found a banded bird, they would still have no way of finding the owner. Just like in this case.
    Brandi

Thread Information