Thread: Bill W. in AZ

Default Bill W. in AZ

Hi,

My name is Bill, and I’m happy to finally be getting back into falconry. I don’t intend to write a memoir here, but I know from lurking there are always tons of questions, so I’ll try to answer some right up front.

I began my apprenticeship in California with a great sponsor, Jeff. We both had jobs that allowed us to spend a great deal of time in falconry, and we did just that. I was lucky enough to either train or hunt with him everyday. He allowed me to work very closely with him and his birds. He flew longwings, so I naturally have that in my system now. I had some fantastic opportunities which included having a lot of hands on time with one of his birds. More to the point, my first sponsor spent lots of time with me, taught me a great deal, and helped me acquire the skills to man, train, keep healthy, and hunt with an American Kestrel. I’d like to believe he gave me a solid foundation for flying other falcons when my time comes.

I was pretty much through two years of apprenticeship with good reports from my sponsor, good experiences with my bird, and great hopes in flying a merlin in my first year as a general in the San Joaquin Valley. My wife decided to divorce me about the time that I was really getting into the groove, so I found myself moving myself and my two boys back to my home, the Sovereign State of Illinois.

I was then lucky enough to meet Berni and George in Illinois. I spent some good times with them, and George agreed to sponsor me. Two factors raised their heads to delay me at that point. One was a game warden who insisted that I build an ‘eagle mews’ for a kestrel, and the other was the opportunity to go back to my chosen profession, aviation. George and Berni are great. I had the opportunity to go trapping with them, hang out at their home and facilities, and go on hunts with their crew. All the folks back there were absolutely hospitable, welcoming, informative, and all-around good folks.

I guess that wasn’t meant to be, though; I had to pack all my things in my car, and move out West to do my job. I was a commuter at my new position, lived alone, and had no opportunity to practice falconry. I never stopped lurking on the falconry sites or reading falconry books or looking up into the trees.

I’ve been able to plant some roots in Arizona over the past couple years, and have worked myself into a position that doesn’t require travel. I met some guys here. Fortune brought me in contact with Forrest and Matt. We get along well, and Matt has graciously agreed to sponsor me. I have put all the paperwork into play to become an Arizona falconer. I have kept all my equipment, so didn’t have to re-buy things like scales, swivels, perches, etc. I’m still an apartment dweller, so I built the same tried and true mini-mews that’s always worked for me before.

Fish and Game here has been absolutely efficient and timely. I was able to get my inspection appointment within days, the warden arrived at the designated time, and I passed. The office processed my state falconry license in a timely manner, and I had it to copy and send with my federal application within days. I’ve just been waiting for the federal paperwork. I believe I sent that application in 10 days or so ago.

Today, Elvira at FWS sent me my Federal Falconry Permit via email! I’m finally back in the saddle! There’s been a BC all noosed up in my truck for weeks, and I was out the door within 20 minutes.

Wish me luck! ;-)

Bill W.
    Bill W.

to NAFEX Bill and back to the wonderful lifestyle of falconry! Definately give us daily updates on your trapping and good luck with your kestrel when you trap it. There are several great threads on here already of folks flying kestrels.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

well welcome bill. I like matt but that other turd roller forrest well thats another story LOL. good luck with your K and tell matt that we still need to get together some time to put back packs on the birds.
    Jason Pollack, Custom Gunsmith
    http://www.pcwguns.com/

Bill, glad you made it back!
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

I'm glad to help out Bill. I am also impressed with our state falconry coordinator. I think some states have trouble with their LE but I think ours are pretty reasonable and as in this case at least quick. If we could just get those new regs in place with no changes from the federal guideline we would be in great shape. Welcome back to the vice of Falconry Bill. Shouldn't cost you more than your girlfreind and your sanity at times.
    Matt Murray
    Success has a direct relationship with effort.

Thread Information