Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the Game...and hello from California!

Jimmy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EricADugan
    My next question is if I should purchase one of the "apprentice kits" that are sold by several of the big faclonry vendors.
    NO. You need to learn how to make most of the stuff anyway.

Eric:
    Look at what you get, then see how much you can make. Hoods,bells and scales would better if you would buy them. Most of the other
    item you can make yourself with a little work. Your sponcer can help
    you in choosing the right items.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Great thanks to all that responded. It seems a wide spread idea to make my own when possible, so I will. I will likely purchase a hood anyways, along with scale, swivels etc. I had already planned on getting some of the equip. from a hardware store for a fraction of the price its offered at other places.
    Thanks again,
    Eric

Larry Counce makes nice bells at one of the better prices. I like the sound of the brass, but the nickel we more durable.

Good luck with your test Eric. I to am taking my test in the next couple of weeks. Are you using the CHC study guide? Where in CA are you located?

I will look into the bells that were mentioned.

I am using the CHC study guide, and it seems to be full of great info. I am in the southern part of the state near Ontario. If anyone knows of any other falconers down here, please let me know. I imagine that I will mostly hunt on my own, as the serenity/solo aspect of it is huge for me. However, its always nice to know who is in your area.
    Eric

Eric,
    As others have mentioned dont buy one of those apprentice kits.. they are way over priced and you can make all of it. DO you have a sponsor yet? If you do get with him/her and they will show you how to make all of that equipment. If you dont have a sponsor hook up with a local falconer and ask them for some help with it. Falconry season is about to start again so most are getting their gear ready anyways and probably need to make some new gear as well.

good luck and keep us posted on your progress
    ~Chris L.

"Do just once, what others say you can't do and you will never pay attention to their limitations again... "

Default Passed my test today....

I took the falconry exam this morning at the Cal Dep Fish and Game office in Ontario. Scored 49/50 on it. The single question that I missed was the following:
    Cramp is a disease most often observed in
    a) Adult birds
    b) Juvenile birds
    c) downy chicks taken from the nest
    d) all of the above

Since I had never heard of cramp and it wasnt in any of the study guides I used I missed it. The answer is c.

Well, Im on my way. Several more things to tie up before trapping season is here.
    Eric

Eric:
    Congratulation [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] There were 50 questions?
    Trapping season is not far off.

Jimmy Guest

Only 50 questions?
    We have 104 on ours..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Only 50 questions?
    We have 104 on ours..........
    54 extra credit?

Jimmy Guest

None are extra credit.
    100 are from the FEDs. And the state added 5. I meant to type 105 above. We have to score an 84 to pass. I thought all states had 100 questions on the test? I've always wondered when I heard people on the net talking about taking the test in 10 minutes.......

Congrats on passing the test Eric. You are on your way. Trapping season starts Oct 1st if I remember correctly. If I can be of any help or if you just want to hang out with the birds, let me know.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Default Test

Jimmy:
    Mi. is 100 questions and you have to have 80% to pass. Now that is when I took it and it took a long time because I have to chip stone.
    [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    None are extra credit.
    100 are from the FEDs. And the state added 5. I meant to type 105 above. We have to score an 84 to pass. I thought all states had 100 questions on the test? I've always wondered when I heard people on the net talking about taking the test in 10 minutes.......
    I think ours was 100 questions, but it took only ten minutes. I sat far longer as the proctor was on a conference call so I waited until he was done to hand it in. Meanwhile I played with some stuffed (taxidermed) animals in the room. I think it was a fox, turkey, rattlesnake and squirrel. Mr. Bill voice (SNL) and all. He kept trying not to laugh out loud.

CONGRATS on PASSING!!!!! Now you can sell that study guide on eBay.

Yeah, it was only 50 questions that covered disease, raptor ecology, training, species identification, temperament, laws, feeding and maintenance, equipment, etc....
    To be honest I found it quite easy, but then again I did put in alot of time studying. From here I will be puting the finishing touches on the inside of my mews and get a head start on building a couple of perches as well. I will post some pics when I get it done. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me.
    Eric

I will post some pics when I get it done.
    good, then we can pick on you instead of Stewbutter!

Quote Originally Posted by gabboon
    I will post some pics when I get it done.
    good, then we can pick on you instead of Stewbutter!
    ...or gabboon..

Congratulations dude! Way to go!

Thread Information