Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NAFA Meet at Woodward, Ok

Glad to see others see the merit of a "stiffer" field jesse. The length isn't so critical; it's the "floppy factor". Also, guys who fly where there aren't a lot of real trees, like the desert west, probably don't have problem to begin with. (I just never want to climb another tree in the cold in the dark to get a bird down!)

The joy of a forum like this is the perspectives offered from so many different areas, amount of experience, etc. We ALL learn something on NAFEX most every day! So happy to have it as a resource to the falconry community.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter45 View Post

The joy of a forum like this is the perspectives offered from so many different areas, amount of experience, etc. We ALL learn something on NAFEX most every day! So happy to have it as a resource to the falconry community.
    Yes - this place has always been great about different points of view on the same subject without alot of flack. Well - most of the time. Unless it's political or religous . Chris is right - brings out the worst in us.

Thanks Jeff for your post.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by kimmerar View Post
    Yes - this place has always been great about different points of view on the same subject without alot of flack. Well - most of the time. Unless it's political or religous . Chris is right - brings out the worst in us.

Thanks Jeff for your post.
    I agree Kim!! As far as equipment goes, whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should use. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GyrXPeals View Post
    I agree Kim!! As far as equipment goes, whatever you're most comfortable with is what you should use. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Jeff
    Yup - and if it does break you can come here and find other options. I didn't like the long jesses myself and next time I will use the extender - if I ever get crazy enough to try an accipiter again. There will be passage goshawks where I'm going . But I haven't been thinking about that at all.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by GregMik View Post
    Here are some more of Jay and his bird.....
    Greg, Thanks for the additional pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    looks good for a boy that "camped out" so he could do the meet. Son if yer friends ain't proud of you, they aught ta be!!! Check out early Alamosa ('77)meet shots...it's my tent in the weathering yard. Glad to meetcha. Says alot. Ol' Jack -tepee living-Oar told me long ago..staying in a motel ain't hawking. Yer gonna start a rendevous movement at the meets!! Now ya just gotta learn to cook over a fire
    Thanks Rich. Thought about cooking over a real fire, but figured it wouldn't go over so well with the hotel. Next year campfire roasted ducks in the weathering area!
    Jay T.
    Montana

Im in I love eating duck on a grill or fry it up with butter , onions, dejon mustard, and or some Hynze 57 perfect...
    Maybe next year we should have a game dinner on one of the nights that would be assume with a grills going and beer and bs. a flyin.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    Im in I love eating duck on a grill or fry it up with butter , onions, dejon mustard, and or some Hynze 57 perfect...
    Maybe next year we should have a game dinner on one of the nights that would be assume with a grills going and beer and bs. a flyin.
    That'd be great...assuming we could catch anything :P Sully's gonna have to work a little harder before THAT happens, lol. We're workin' on that, though...

t
    I have faith ,, you just toss all the game that falcon of yours gets in the freezer and we will grill it up next year for all of us..
    David

Those are great.

I love the prairie looking down and the Coop falling out of the tree.
    Bryan Kimsey

Either way will work, but you can get a much stiffer jess with flat braids.
    This one for a Gos will give you 14" from jess to extender, and you won't get a much stiffer jess, not very likely to wrap.
    Just food for thought.
    Jeff

Nice job of braiding Jeff.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Craig View Post
    Nice job of braiding Jeff.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate that.
    Have a great day bud!!
    Jeff

Default Jeff's braiding

Jeff,

Weren't you supposed to do a braiding class at the NAFA meet? I was hoping to attend.
    Jeremy Bradshaw
    www.thepassagemerlin.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerHoods View Post
    Jeff,

Weren't you supposed to do a braiding class at the NAFA meet? I was hoping to attend.
    Yes I was Jeremy, just a beginners class on 4 plaits. I was going to teach the class to do a basic double loop extender. I figured that would cover the basics of a continuous loop, the main body of the braid, and a pull tab loop. From there they could pretty much what they wanted as far as basic equipment goes.
    I have a feeling it would have degraded into 8 plait square braids, flat braids and Sennit Rose knots, LOL.
    No one braids any better than you, between you, Steve Layman, Mike Craig and Al Ingram it doesn't get much better than that.
    I've got your handywork in my collection, works of art my friend.
    My best as always,
    Jeff

Sooooo, why no class held?
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by dirthawking View Post
    Sooooo, why no class held?
    I had a class to attend myself that I couldn't get out of. Life is that way sometimes
    You already know how to do 4 plaits anyhoo Mario, LOL.
    ATB,
    Jeff

You already know how to do 4 plaits anyhoo Mario, LOL.
    ATB,
    Jeff
    No I don't! But I am mean with some para cord!
    www.Dirthawking.com

No I don't! But I am mean with some para cord!
    You will next time we meet, LOL. I will be in Kansas next year.
    Jeff

Look forward to it!
    www.Dirthawking.com

Look forward to it!
    Me too Mario!!
    Jeff

I have a feeling it would have degraded into 8 plait square braids, flat braids and Sennit Rose knots, LOL.

My best as always,
    Jeff
    We would NEVER do that to you Jeff! Speaking of which, now that I know how to do the flat braid, I need to make Sully some new jesses... PS-you are a GREAT teacher! I just really, REALLY wish I had gotten to make the Sennet Rose knot with you there in person-the last part has me stumped I can only remember 2 steps in my head for directions of any sort. Ah well. Such is life. If we can't figure it out by next NAFA I'm going to corral you for an hour or two in private though

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    We would NEVER do that to you Jeff! Speaking of which, now that I know how to do the flat braid, I need to make Sully some new jesses... PS-you are a GREAT teacher! I just really, REALLY wish I had gotten to make the Sennet Rose knot with you there in person-the last part has me stumped I can only remember 2 steps in my head for directions of any sort. Ah well. Such is life. If we can't figure it out by next NAFA I'm going to corral you for an hour or two in private though
    Hehe, just call me Tasha I'll talk you through it.
    ATB,
    Jeff

Come on now Jeff, no giving that secret away too easy! I guess it isn't much of a secret anymore. I was disappointed to see a replica of my gear end up in Western Sporting. Craftmanship to the level of a sennit rose should never be available in a catalogue. Falconers should seek out the skilled equipment makers like yourself, Layman, and I guess me too personally and support our craft...that sound too much like a foot stepping up on a soapbox. Sorry!
    Jeremy Bradshaw
    www.thepassagemerlin.com

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    It's a coop. Fly one and you will understand.
    I have and I like the jesses a little long for a coops, but not that lllllloooonnnnnggggggg! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerHoods View Post
    Come on now Jeff, no giving that secret away too easy! I guess it isn't much of a secret anymore. I was disappointed to see a replica of my gear end up in Western Sporting. Craftmanship to the level of a sennit rose should never be available in a catalogue. Falconers should seek out the skilled equipment makers like yourself, Layman, and I guess me too personally and support our craft...that sound too much like a foot stepping up on a soapbox. Sorry!
    I don't disagree with any of that Jeremy. Heck it took me two years to figure out the Sennit Rose. Now I tie three different versions. But there are a few people out there that can be trusted. Good braider's in their own right, that only braid for themselves and not for the public. The Sennit Rose is, well it's kind of a quest, it's not a secret. I think everyone that ties it took a long time to figure it out that's why we're reluctant at times to give it up. My best advice when asked about it is do your homework, learn some basic fancy knots, Wall and Crown knots, Matthew Walkers, Manropes, Footropes, Daimond Knots, Lanyard Knots, True Sennit Knots. If you get those down you should be able to figure out a Sennit Rose, although it will take you some time to find the combination. It always comes down to the basics no matter what you're trying to do. It also comes down to how much you want it, and if your willing to put in the work required to get it done.
    Keep up the good work, it's always a pleasure to see your craftsmanship. Especially the pieces that I own. Good stuff brother.
    My best as always,
    Jeff

Thread Information