Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NAFA Meet at Woodward, Ok

Rabbits WERE tough around Woodward, lucky for us we weren't looking for rabbits this year We were searching for ducks and there were good populations of them all over. We had a bit of trouble finding them at first, and twice we just ran out of daylight for Sully. Then when we DID find them, Sully wasn't interested :P (Thanks for showing us around Jay!!!) Went out on the last day to the panhandle with some friends and tried to show Sully some wild pheasants (he'd taken a shot at a baggy, but didn't hit it well enough and it ran off). Unfortunately we couldn't locate the pheasants (they were there-we'd SEEN them) and I accidentally flushed 3 meadowlarks in a row. Sully had 3 beautiful stoops on each meadowlark and remounted each time. We were about to throw the baggy pheasant when he got bored and drifted off to the next field and started playing with a flock of dickey birds :P He disappeared and the chase was on. We lost the signal pretty quick and eventually turned around and went back to where we started. He must've been on the ground in a low spot in the middle of that field. Luckily he didn't get himself eaten. I don't think I've ever seen a place so loaded with raptors! Ferruges, redtails, prairies, kestrels and merlins, even a golden :P Craploads of jacks, cottontails, pheasants, some quail...but a scary place to fly. After the meet we went to a friend's in Tulsa (thanks GyrXPeales!!!) and he put us up for a couple more days. It was great getting out with him and his friends. He taught us a couple new braids and a flat knot (still need to work on that one! I knew we should've done one right away with you there!), we played pool and watched a movie. A fantastic way to wind down from the meet At the NAFA meet I got out with a lot of friends, made lots of new friends, got to see a bunch of birds fly including a couple merlins, a couple coops (thanks Grant!-can't remember your screen name, I'm afraid....), a perlin (thanks Chris from AR...I can't remember your screen name either, but it was an awesome day), an aplomado (thanks Mewskeeper!!!)...all in all, a great meetI'll get some pics posted soon-I got lots of great stuff I've always wanted to get out with a variety of birds but this is the first year I actually did and I'm tickled pink about it. I still haven't caught anything with Sully yet, but everyone who's seen him fly says he's doing great-he's taking really nice pitches and he waits on overhead with good position. It's just a matter of time and the right slip
    Tasha

k
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    an aplomado (thanks Mewskeeper!!!).
    Oops! Wrong person! Thanks JArent Although...a Big thanks to Mewskeeper, too! I won his earrings at the Nafex dinner and they're gorgeous! It was great to see everyone at the dinner and over the week! Even if I can't always remember who's who, lol.

Tasha, Kim and I really enjoyed the visit. Our only regret was thay you and Greg couldn't stay longer. I really enjoyed seeing Sully fly, great pitch and position, just remember that's what the first season is all about.
    Now get off your butt and put up the pics of Howie catching that Gadwall.
    It's always good to see you and Greg, glad you made it home safe.
    My best as always,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GyrXPeals View Post
    Tasha, Kim and I really enjoyed the visit. Our only regret was thay you and Greg couldn't stay longer. I really enjoyed seeing Sully fly, great pitch and position, just remember that's what the first season is all about.
    My best as always,
    Jeff
    Lol, I'm workin on it this very minute I've got 2431 pics to go through, but I'll get some up soon, I promise

Here we go...let's see if this works...this is Jay's falcon "muttonhead" with his wigeon.

Chris from Arkansas (on NAFEX, but I just can't remember his screen name) perlin chasing a pheasant. She grabbed it, just couldn't hang on...

GyrxPeales's friend Scott's falcon Bullseye-if he weren't fat, he'd a had one

Howie with his Gadwall...

JArent's male harris Hunter (I think) with the one that got away. He grabbed it, but it got away before anyone else could get there to give him a helping hand.

Grant's coop Jet with a baggy Chukar...

I've gotta go fly Sully now, but I'll process some more and get them posted soon

Thanks Tasha!!!!
    LOL,
    Jeff

Thanks Tasha!!!!
    LOL,
    Jeff
    You're welcome Jeff I thought you'd like those

My best as always,
    Jeff
    Thanks for having us Jeff!! It was great seeing you and Kim again!

We need to talk about that stopper knot again... Tasha tried to practice it on the way home and we totally messed it up.

Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also.

Tell Scott it was awesome of him to let us fly on his ranch!!

Greg
    An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.....Thomas Jefferson
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by GregMik View Post
    Thanks for having us Jeff!! It was great seeing you and Kim again!

We need to talk about that stopper knot again... Tasha tried to practice it on the way home and we totally messed it up.

Dan's RT was flying awesome! I have some pics of his bird also.

Tell Scott it was awesome of him to let us fly on his ranch!!

Greg
    Our pleasure Greg, just wished you lived closer.
    Just give me a call and I'll try to talk you through the knot.
    Scott still has a woodie from your duck flight, me too hehehe! Great to see a good Gos in action.
    Talk to ya soon,
    Jeff

JArent's male harris Hunter (I think) with the one that got away. He grabbed it, but it got away before anyone else could get there to give him a helping hand.

You mean like this person?

Greg
    An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.....Thomas Jefferson
    Minneapolis, MN

Here is another one of that same chase.....

Greg
    Minneapolis, MN

You mean like this person?

Greg
    Lol, exactly I could've been wrong about which bird that was, btw. I THOUGHT it was Hunter, but it could've been Iona, Altair or Chaya...

Howie with his Gadwall...

Need I say more?
    -Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Takasho View Post

Need I say more?
    Lol, thanks Isaac, I got lucky with that series No icky, brushy background to confuse the camera I thought Howie was pulling off the ducks when he suddenly stood on his tail and just nabbed that gadwall right out of the air. It was an AWESOME flight!

Lol, exactly I could've been wrong about which bird that was, btw. I THOUGHT it was Hunter, but it could've been Iona, Altair or Chaya...
    Hey Tasha,
    I think it is Kaya....Hunter still has some immy feathers, and Iona and Altar look very diffferent (more like their dad)....Kaya looks like her mom (Oban )

Awesome Pics!!!!
    Life ain't always beautiful.....But it's a beautiful ride!
    Heather G MT

Lol, thanks Isaac, I got lucky with that series No icky, brushy background to confuse the camera I thought Howie was pulling off the ducks when he suddenly stood on his tail and just nabbed that gadwall right out of the air. It was an AWESOME flight!

And it was not even the frozen mallard in the pic this time!!

Greg
    Minneapolis, MN

Tasha's cam makes a good perch also.....

Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Heatherg View Post
    Hey Tasha,
    I think it is Kaya....Hunter still has some immy feathers, and Iona and Altar look very diffferent (more like their dad)....Kaya looks like her mom (Oban )

Awesome Pics!!!!
    Kaya was off chasing a different Jack at the time I believe.....

Greg
    Minneapolis, MN

Kaya was off chasing a different Jack at the time I believe.....

Greg
    OK...so one of the other adult girls....I just know that Hunter didnt do a complete moult...and the bird in the pic has all adult feathers...take your pick...obviously I wasnt there....
    Great pic at any rate!
    Heather G MT

Tasha's cam makes a good perch also.....

that would be Hunter on Tasha's camera....that is if you were still with Johns group....see the leg feathers....not the same bird in the other pic
    juvie feathers stand out!
    Heather G MT

Quote Originally Posted by Heatherg View Post
    that would be Hunter on Tasha's camera....that is if you were still with Johns group....see the leg feathers....not the same bird in the other pic
    juvie feathers stand out!

Ya I told Tasha that it was not Hunter as he still had juvi feathers. Who knows they all look alike....Clones

Greg
    Minneapolis, MN

Great shots Greg and Tasha. Sorry Sully didn't get to score down there, but he'll get after it before too much longer I'm sure. Thanks for sharing the pics. The Howie and Gadwall one is a classic...but I'm a little biased aren't I? Goshawks rule!!
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Chris from Arkansas (on NAFEX, but I just can't remember his screen name) perlin chasing a pheasant. She grabbed it, just couldn't hang on...

His name on here is thecprice. His name is Chris Price. He was my sponser. He really wished he would have got that pheasant in the bag. He was stoked about that flight.

Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Jay was enjoying himself "Out West" at the meet. He wanted a pic of him and a fence post. He says there are none back home....

Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by kimmerar View Post
    His name on here is thecprice. His name is Chris Price. He was my sponser. He really wished he would have got that pheasant in the bag. He was stoked about that flight.

Thanks for sharing your great pics with us.
    Ah! Thank you! I never did catch his last name (yes, I know it was on his name tag, but I would've had to have looked at it, lol). I've got a few more of his bird I'll post in a bit That was a really fun day-his bird did totally awesome, too!

Here's a few of a friend's merlin lure flying

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Great shots Greg and Tasha. Sorry Sully didn't get to score down there, but he'll get after it before too much longer I'm sure. Thanks for sharing the pics. The Howie and Gadwall one is a classic...but I'm a little biased aren't I? Goshawks rule!!
    Thanks Pete I was a bit disappointed, but not too bad. If I would've tried for pheasants sooner we might've come home with something, but I got distracted by the ducks. Too bad Sully wasn't interested in them, the little stinker :P I'm crossing my fingers and praying for snow...I can't wait to show Sully some huns! I KNOW he'll try for those!

Chris's perlin with the pheasant...

John's Hunter...

John's Aplomado, Will (if I remember right)...

Rob Palmer's 3/4 GyrxLanner Achilles...

Jay's falcon Muttonhead (I know you can come up with a better name than that Jay!!!) with his mallard...

Thread Information