Thread: Lost Redtail NY

Default Lost Redtail NY

I have lost my female passage redtail. She had on bells, jesses and telemetry but we believe the telemetry has been dismantled. She was lost on the outskirts of Pawling NY. Please share this with anyone that can help.

You can reach me at 845-242-5544 if you see her.

Check the field you lost her in every morning and evening. Lost hawks often return to their last field they were in. My best of luck to you.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Default Thanks!

Thank you Hawkmom (from one to another) I lost her yesterday and went back this morning and this afternoon and will return tomorrow. Fortuantely I have others watching for her too! I hear after a few days though that the wild caught redtails revert back to being wild ..I suppose that all depends on the squirrel population!

Sorry to hear that I'm over in the western part of NY at the moment or would be on the lookout. Good luck!
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

Default Thanks

Thanks Abby! No luck yet. This is not the fun part is it! Nice chaps on your RT by the way

I'm sorry you lost your RT, where is Pawling? I grew up around Albany-Saratoga region, but moved west in '86.

Please sign your name to your posts - one of our few rules here, thanks!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Default Suggestions

Can anyone make suggestions about places to post for my lost Redtail?
    ~ Lynn, NY

I am also wondering if anyone has any words of advise for search or percentage chances of finding her etc. I don't want to stop to soon and on the same note son't want to have false hopes. I will do anything necessary if it makes sense, she is my firs tbird and my sponsor thought she was so ready. She was eager, came to my glvoe from the tree the first time then bolted. She was well manned, and easy to hood, a very gentle bird. We have had three different receivers out there so she must have dismantled the transmitter.
    ~ Lynn, NY

I lost a PFRT last year on her first free flight. She wasn’t wearing a transmitter. I searched for her every day and spotted her eight days later 5 miles from where I lost her. Used a BC to retrieve her. Persistence pays off. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by makawinan View Post
    Can anyone make suggestions about places to post for my lost Redtail?
    If you're a member of NAFA, their forum. Raptors Nest has a lost hawk spot as well. Good Luck, hang in there.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Have you tried the NYS yahoo falconry group yet? There are NYSFA members near you who may be of some help.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSFalconers/
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

Default Good Info

Thanks all, I will check into these posting sites and I also really appreciate the hope Joe! I have gone out every day looking!
    ~ Lynn, NY

I would post in the New Jersey area also.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Take a loaded BC with you, you will probably have to retrap this bird!

Good luck!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default BC

Yeah Fred you may be right about that. We've talked about doing that if we can get a visual on her.
    ~ Lynn, NY

Keep a BC and bait in your vehicle so you are always ready in case you see her...and do not loose hope! Terrance (he is on this forum) got a bird back from the wild two years (I think it was too years...) after it was lost. So ya never know!
    Tom

mak
    dont give up hope . My redtail got out of her chambers last year and another falconer trapped her about 30 miles from my house 2 months later. she came down to the lure and she walked around the bird and wrapped the lure cord around her feet and called me and said come and get her..
    have you called your county sherriffs office and or police and leave your name and cell with them. alot of times people will call them..
    or call your local dnr sometimes they get calls from people saying there is a hawk around my house with bells and long strapps on its legs

I also once lost a redtail in my earlier years flying her to heavy and it came down to a farmer about 130 miles south of me. in Iowa .. i went and got her.. on thanksgiving morning. missed the dinner but got the hawk.

good luck... when you get her back maybe consider cutting her weight a little more
    David

Default Feel ur pain

Quote Originally Posted by makawinan View Post
    I am also wondering if anyone has any words of advise for search or percentage chances of finding her etc. I don't want to stop to soon and on the same note son't want to have false hopes. I will do anything necessary if it makes sense, she is my firs tbird and my sponsor thought she was so ready. She was eager, came to my glvoe from the tree the first time then bolted. She was well manned, and easy to hood, a very gentle bird. We have had three different receivers out there so she must have dismantled the transmitter.
    Sorry for your loss. I had the same thing exactly last year. Hope u find her. I never did n my second bird got a bone infection last year as well. FALCONRY FUN TILL IT HURTS!! Fingers r crossed for u.
    I will have to look u up sometime im from Hopewell jct. ny just down the road. Good luck
    Rich

calabash kracka

Default Thanks All

I'm not giving up yet!
    ~ Lynn, NY

Default Hopewell

Rich your very close! Keep your eyes open
    ~ Lynn, NY

Thread Information