Thread: hunting with coopers hawks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default hunting with coopers hawks

Hi lads

I'm not a new to this site. I've been a member for a while just haven't posted much ,

Wood like to here some of the lads and lases on this forum that have had some good sport this season with their coopers. Wood love to see some pictures of your hawks doing the bis and hear your stories..

I'm getting a coopers next year off a chap here in the uk. Its took me for ever to find a breeder that isn't wanting £1500 for a female . Im a gos hawk man and have been flying them for 14 years, and looking forward to a change .

look forward to reading and hopefully seeing some nice pictures of your hawks

sorry for my spelling i'm dyslexic
    Last edited by KidK; 12-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    from barny

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    Hi lads

im not a nuwb to this siet iv bin a member for a wiel just havernt powstid much ,

wood liek to her sum ov the lads and lases on this forum that hav had sum good sport this sesun wiv ther coopers wood luv to se sum piks ov ur hawks doing the bis and her ur stores..

im geting a coopers nex yer of a chap her in the uk its took me for ever to find a breeder that isunt wonting £1500 for a femael . im a gos hawk man and hav bin fliing them for 14 yers . and looking forwod to a chaeng .

look forwod to reding and hopfaly seeing sum nies piks ov ur hawks

sory for my speling im dyslexic
    bump
    from barny

Banrnaby, great to hear you are getting a cooper. They are great hawks. Personally, I fly the males. I find they are more willing to go for the misc. little birds that I like to hunt, and they still have enough size to take full grown male quail. You will have a blast with these guys. I do not imprint mine, and I try to keep their food association with me to a minimum. I have had a few females that were face flyers, and they are no fun at all. That is why I keep them as wild as I can prior to taking them up for training. My experience is with the western cooper hawks. I have never flown an eastern bird. When I pull one from a nest, I try to get one that is as old as I can. I have pulled the downy ones, but I prefer the older branchers. I like to chase them suckers down if possible.

Barnaby, you will find that they will take pretty much all the quarry you get them on. They will destroy magpie and the smaller game birds. (I assume the partridge are chukar size.) they can also take the smaller ducks. I stay away from bunnies because they are too easy for a female coopie. You will have a blast. ATB, Tony
    tony

Quote Originally Posted by tony123abc View Post
    Banrnaby, great to hear you are getting a cooper. They are great hawks. Personally, I fly the males. I find they are more willing to go for the misc. little birds that I like to hunt, and they still have enough size to take full grown male quail. You will have a blast with these guys. I do not imprint mine, and I try to keep their food association with me to a minimum. I have had a few females that were face flyers, and they are no fun at all. That is why I keep them as wild as I can prior to taking them up for training. My experience is with the western cooper hawks. I have never flown an eastern bird. When I pull one from a nest, I try to get one that is as old as I can. I have pulled the downy ones, but I prefer the older branchers. I like to chase them suckers down if possible.

Barnaby, you will find that they will take pretty much all the quarry you get them on. They will destroy magpie and the smaller game birds. (I assume the partridge are chukar size.) they can also take the smaller ducks. I stay away from bunnies because they are too easy for a female coopie. You will have a blast. ATB, Tony

hi tony haws that big buzzerd u got lol

yer iv fawnd a lad thats got them breding her in the uk ,
    so guna do wot i sed and giv 1 a werl . thay havernt bin feld trield propaly in the uk . so guna maek my own miend up . bit ov a sad week my gos gows to NI sataday . but its for the best . as i hav no tiem naw .

haws the traning maet
    from barny

Well I think you will be happy with a coop. My buzard is going fine. I dropped her a bit more and we head out today at 2:30 ish. I have a good feeling about today. She should be right about ready.

The training has gone well. I leave in the morning at 6 am. The women, wife and daugher, compete on Sat and I go on Sunday. I should do okay. The girls will do very good. I just hope I don't poop myself during the squat. Keep us posted on things over there.

And on a non related note, my older boy got his first deer this season. He is now a man! A doe, but a deer is a deer.
    tony

Thread Information