Thread: Hawk trained with laser light video?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hawk trained with laser light video?

Hi!

Someone told me that there was a video on Youtube where a falconer trained his hawk with a laser light? Where ever the falconer pointed the light the hawk would go to that source. Does anyone know where this video is located? Thanks!

Jatin
    Alabama
    Jatin D. Patel, Alabama
    "Buildings burn, people die..but true love lasts forever" -The Crow

Quote Originally Posted by dothanfalconry View Post
    Hi!

Someone told me that there was a video on Youtube where a falconer trained his hawk with a laser light? Where ever the falconer pointed the light the hawk would go to that source. Does anyone know where this video is located? Thanks!

Jatin
    Alabama
    Here it is i dont know why anyone would want to do this whats the point. you cant do it during day light
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEU0-8cmIgI

Default Lasers in daylight

Quote Originally Posted by falconry2031 View Post
    Here it is i dont know why anyone would want to do this whats the point. you cant do it during day light
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEU0-8cmIgI
    I agree about why would you WANT to do it but I disagree about the
    daylight. Laser sights for handguns can project a beam that is daylight
    visible and a hawk's eyes are better than ours so I would bet it they
    can see it pretty well at a distance. The only issue is how FAR would it
    work and how useful would it be.

My dogs can see a cheap laser pointer in daylight.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I'll tell you why you would want to do it!

This is basic operant conditioning that results in very good communication between the hawk and the trainer. It is more stimulating to the hawk than just flying it to the fist, and it promotes the notion of the hawk trying to figure out what it is being asked to do. This can translate into good things in falconry.

Also, this type of training is outstanding for use on imprints, as you can get the bird to fly away from you for a tidbit. You can get the bird to do hundreds of jumps and get in great shape with this method.

You might learn a thing or two about animal training in general and about your hawk in particular. The better relationship you have with your bird, the more likely you can smooth over rough spots in the field.

You can play "hunting" games with a laser pointer to get a young imprint looking away from you as it rides the fist and anticipating opportunities for a flight too.
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

I think we have all trained our birds to come to a flashlight at night. Real easy to do and basically the same thing as the laser in my opinion.
    Jim
    New Mexican

How about lazer targeting squirrel nests.
    Ross Spafford

Quote Originally Posted by dothanfalconry View Post
    Hi!

Jatin
    Alabama
    I've also trained this same behavior with harris hawks. I used it for show birds. It made it much easier to train birds to go to new perches and points when training birds for a new venue. It actually a very quick and easy train.
    Eric Edwards

That looks quite fun.
    As for doing it in daylight, couldn't you get a pretty powerful one and use it? Hawks see better than we do anyway and are very perceptive of colors.
    I remember a thread here from a year or so ago about finding a way to excercise a bird outdoors by trying to throw a long lure live over a tall branch to get the bird to do very tall jump ups. I would think that by teaching a bird to hit a laser pointer you could do those very high jump ups without the complication of the lure line.
    Now, where do I find a powerful laser pointer?
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Thread Information