Thread: New member in Maryland (DC area)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    What type is the one in your picture? It's gorgeous.
    Aussie White lip is a beutiful amphibian. I'm not a fan of auratus myself but the color morphs are extremely variable even for dendrobates. The one in that photo is a tinctorius 'patricia' morph.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmom View Post
    Welcome to NAFEX. BTW: The problem you will have with keeping a bird is the ******)(*&^%%$ Homeowners Association.
    I completely agree! The way our area is set up we actually have TWO that govern our property. I'll have to run through their royal decree's later tonight and see what I'm up against.

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    tell Bob i said HI....last he and i saw each other it was at a VFA function about 10 years ago i guess. maybe more as i think i was flying a Goshawk at the time.....if ya ever get up this way, look me up. i just might be home.....oh, and check your PM's. i sent you something...
    Will Do, Bob is flying a great looking RT so far this year
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

Thanks Lee. Our Frog was huge (for a treefrog) almost four inches long. And like I said, she showed me that they can have real personalities, and want to escape from their tanks LOL. I liked that girl.
    I am not familiar with the other auratus color morphs besides the plain green and black that our guys sport. What other colors occur?
    Here is a dumb question, I have been told that the poison arrow frogs kept in captivity do not have the toxic quality to their skin that wild ones have and therefor the toxic properties must be diet-related. Do you know if this is true?
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Here's a link that shows 25 auratus color morphs and I know there are others that aren't represented on it.

Thats correct, the chemicals needed to synthesize the toxins are believed to be (all but completely proven) sequestered from the insects that are eaten in the wild. Recent imports come in nice and potent but quickly lose their toxicity once they're switched to a stateside diet. So chances are if you see one up here its harmless, but I wouldn't go licking it without a little background info
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

Thanks Lee.
    I rarely ever feel the need to lick or suck on amphibians, but if I ever do feel that need I will be sure that the frogs I lick have all been in captivity for a good while LOL.
    Thanks for the links, I will look at them presently.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Hi Lee, I see that you're pretty local, if you don't mind me asking, what town/city? I'm down in Accokeek, but used to live right next to Andrews Air Force Base. Pretty familiar with the area.

I am also big into herps, at least I used to be, now all I have is a common boa constrictor and two leopard geckos. I know, they're kinda beginner herps, but I have had plenty of exotics: D. Leucomelas, D. Azureus, D. Auratus, P. terribilis, reticulated pythons, hogg island boas, etc. etc.

I have been recently thinking about getting back into the dart frogs. I'd love to set up a nice new vivarium (the vivariums were one of my favorite aspects of keeping dart frogs), but haven't been able to justify the fruit fly cultures and pinheads.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Washington DC Area

Hey Jeff
    I'm actually just outside AAFB as well, Upper Marlboro.
    I definitely understand the fruit fly apprehension. Its a pain in the butt but it could always be worse. I know a few people making dozens of cultures a week
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

man, i had my fill of them little buggers when i was raising Panther chameleons!! between them, the pin heads, and the hissing cockroaches, i was going nuts!!!
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Thread Information