Thread: Christopher hails in from central FL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Christopher hails in from central FL

Hello, I am Christopher Thomas, new to falconry, but not new to nature in general. Particularly I like to hike, do mountain biking, and would those opportunities afford themselves often, camping as well. Since college has started, I haven't been doing much of any of those.

I live in Brevard County, in Cocoa Beach, FL

I've had an interest in birds of prey, and saw a show on falconry recently. It wasn't my first show, but it was most interesting. Ray Pena from http://www.flightoftheraptor.com/ and hosted a show called "Birds of Prey" at a Renaissance festival. I watched the first showing...then returned for the second so I could see him fly the other birds. He had in total:

• Male Harris Hawk
    • Female Harris Hawk
    • Saker Falcon
    • Peregrine Falcon
    • (some sort of) Kestrel
    • Eurasian Eagle Owl (I think)

Fascinating show. Prior to speaking with him, I didn't know much about falconry, how to become a falconer, or what the laws were.

I've found that it can be economically feasible. A sun conure can cost upwards of $650 or thereabouts, for instance. Raptors are trapped. The difference mainly being that the raptor isn't a pet, and the conure is. The point is that carefully planned, falconry could be exercised even on a low income.

Honestly though, I have little clue as to how to get my foot in the door. I'm certain I'd get direction over time, and find a sponsor, something which I am not yet ready for. Still, getting to know a falconer local to my area couldn't hurt. Also I have began building falconry equipment.

Here is the portable perch: http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?p=122218#post122218

If anyone lives local to that area, feel free to holler.
    Christopher Thomas in North Palm Beach, FL
    ...is perching in a tree.

Welcome. You have come to the right place. Watch out for the sig police.
    Brian

They got me already

Quote Originally Posted by Belshazaroth View Post
    They got me already
    Welcome to NAFEX . The signature helps keep the forum clean and helps stop the occasional troll. Thanks for understanding.

I hope you enjoy the forums and please dont hesitate to post.

Welcome
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Belshazaroth View Post
    They got me already
    they're everywhere
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    they're everywhere
    I must be a corn field, because I swear you're stalking me.
    Bad pun.

nah, insomnia! They have corn fields in FL?
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Cool Still alive

I haven't made a post in a particularly long time (compared to my previous intervals). Nothing happened to me. I am still here and still undeterred.

Spring break just ended. I went to several wildlife preserves and parks, hiked off trail with my scope.

Went to...

Grassy Waters Preserve
    Merritt Island NWR
    Riverbend Park
    Jonathan Dickinson State Park

I saw 2 snail kites (mated pair), 2 or 3 swallow-tailed kites, 3 bald eagles (2were eyasses just a week or two from departing the nest), countless osprey and nests.

Others spotted were moorhen, willet, roseate spoonbill, florida scrub-jay, red winged blackbirds, caspian terns, tricolor heron, white ibis, great white egret, cardinals, and red belly woodpeckers.

Twice I saw what appeared to be red shouldered hawks being harrassed by boat tailed grackles. It is speculative.

I am looking for opportunities to go camping now.

I am reading another falconry book, and Falcon Fever by Tim Gallagher (2008). I checked out birdwatching field guides and have been studying them. I have alot of ground to cover to go after my dream.

I am still eager to meet any falconers in the Brevard County area and observe hunts (if any haven't hacked their birds back to the wilds yet)

I got in a bit of off-trail exploration. I am really looking for opportunities to go camping about now.

Thread Information