Thread: Greetings from MD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from MD

Hello all.

I just wanted to drop a quick line here to introduce myself. My name is Jimmy and I'm a lifelong resident of Maryland (going on 34years.) I've been hunting since I could hold a BB gun and I've had bird companions almost as long. I've always been interested in falconry but only recently have I begun looking at it seriously. I'm very much at a researching stage right now, but I'm looking to find some people close to the Cecil County area who are flying.

Maryland DNR has asked that I find and read the out of print "North American Falconry & Hunting Hawks." I was curious if anyone could help me locate a local copy, or suggest an alternative.

I was also curious about any clubs in-state. Marylandfalconry.com seems to have closed up, so any information on local clubs or websites would be great.

Thanks for any help. This seems like a friendly and knowledgeable community, and I'm looking forward to learning and growing here.
    - Jimmy

I'm from Maryland originally. Look at this site: www.themodernapprentice.com. Great info there too. NAFHH is a great text. A good start.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

If you can find North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks you should read it. I am staring at a copy about 5 feet away right now. Also "The Red-Tailed Hawk": A Complete Guide....etc. was helpful and my sponsor gave me a copy.

The Maryland extended public library system has at least a dozen titles you can check out through Marina books I believe. Many are older texts, a few were in middle English (but were still interesting from a historical aspect).
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

Thanks for the tips.

I've been reading at www.themodernapprentice.com in my spare time. That's the one thing I definitely have going for me is that I do enjoy reading.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy of that book. I have some other's ordered (Buteos and Bushytails, The Red-tailed Hawk, both CHC books) and I'm patiently awaiting their arrival.

If any local events get organized, be sure to drop me a line. I'd love to meet more locals with a passion for raptors.
    - Jimmy

what i can tell you with out a doubt is that Maryland has designed their test around the NY exam. SO, having said that, if you are looking for something to read in preparation for taking the test, i would secure a copy of the NY state falconry exam study guide. i think it is available through the NY site for a nominal fee......
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Thanks for the info about the NY test and guide. All of it should prove invaluable for the test. I need to be sponsored before I can take the Maryland test though, so it might be a little while.
    - Jimmy

Thread Information