Thread: Hello from Randy in Connecticut

Default Hello from Randy in Connecticut

The first time I became interested in falconry was when I saw "Rusty and the Falcon" as a kid. It doesn't seem like there have been many good movies with falcons or hawks in them. I liked the brief parts of "The Falcon and the Snowman", but they're rare. YouTube has probably been the best source of videos for me.

Growing up, I had two dogs, a rabbit, and managed a cat and 42 kittens (it was my sister's cat, but it seems like I did most of the work). I never owned a falcon or hawk. Even now, my son has a cockatiel and two parakeets, but no bird of prey.

I've wanted a bird for a long time (30+ years) but I'm somewhat aware of the commitment they take and haven't made the leap yet. About five years ago I had pretty much given up on the dream. Now that our son might be moving out in a couple years, I'm reconsidering.

I'll probably study and take the test here in Connecticut. Then take it from there.
    Randy in Connecticut

Randy. Sounds like you have a plan! Good luck.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Bill

Hi Randy,

Welcome to NAFEX. Have a look around and good luck with becoming a falconer. Keep us posted on your progress

All the best

Chris
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by GivenRandy View Post
    ...I've wanted a bird for a long time (30+ years) but I'm somewhat aware of the commitment they take and haven't made the leap yet. About five years ago I had pretty much given up on the dream. Now that our son might be moving out in a couple years, I'm reconsidering.

I'll probably study and take the test here in Connecticut. Then take it from there.

Randy,

Connecticut is not a falconry-friendly or hunting-friendly state so, if you have the option of relocating after your son moves out, you may want to consider it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to chase you out of the state :-) but with no wild take, no Sunday hunting, and the most restrictive state falconry regs by far, I wouldn't live in this state if my son wasn't here.

That being said, it's certainly feasible to practice falconry here and you always have the option of Sunday hunting in RI or NY.

Regards,

Jon D.
    Jon D.

to NAFEX

I hope your falconry journey, even with the CT challenges is a fulfilling one.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Randy,

How are things going? Are you planning on taking the CT test soon? Let me know if I can help in any way.

Regards,

Jon D'Arpino
    Jon D.

Thread Information