Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picco - Imprint Coopers Hawk

Default Picco - Imprint Coopers Hawk

After releasing my female passage coops and waiting to see if the little hybrid falcon will recover fully or not, I decided to pull another coops to imprint. There is just something about those little guys I really like. I am still looking for the local sharpie nest, but that will be for down the road.

Today I pulled a ~3 day old coops. I am hoping for a tiercel, but at this age it is a crap shoot. I chose the one with the thinner legs. The plan is to imprint him with full food association (via the help of some experienced falconers) using operant conditioning methods and tame hack him.

Here are pics from the day...

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Finally a Cooper's thread! Keep it updated please!
    Conor
    Temecula CA

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the little guy grow up! Post lots of pictures please!
    Ryan - Boise, ID
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Congrates Jeff. Looking forward to hearing how this training turns out. I've heard good things about this training method! Hope it turns out well! Please keep us informed.
    Jeremy Roselle

I'll be following this thread religiously, as this is what I want to do in the near future. Good luck!
    Audrey Marquis, Rouyn-Noranda, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rocgwp View Post
    The plan is to imprint him with full food association (via the help of some experienced falconers) using operant conditioning methods and tame hack him.
    Could you explain this a little more?
    Mike O'Keefe
    Blue Grass, Iowa

I am hand feeding the bird and establishing a conditioned reinforcer currently. As the bird develops I will use this to shape the behaviors I want and to cure problems as they arise. Once the bird begins to branch I'll do a day time hack with some interaction during the day and it will roost in my living room.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

4 Days Old

Eating every 4 hours during the day. He's on supplemental heat to keep him warm right now. Not a lot of excitement. He eats, sleeps a lot, and poops...

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Jeff -

I hope you can keep posting how you are doing with your Cooper’s Hawk. I think that this kind of journal one of the best things about NAFEX. I'm particularly interested in how you do with the behavior modification strategy.

A couple of years ago a member kept a journal about his imprinting a Sharp-shinned Hawk. I found it so valuable that I edited it down into a Publisher document that I’ve kept as a reference ever since.

Though it is about a Sharpie, I thought you might like to see it to help anticipate what you might encounter with your hawk over the next couple of months. Sharpies develop faster than Cooper’s – but I think they go through all of the same stages. There are pictures of the bird every few days for the first month that I've found very useful.

http://www.netexpress.net/~okeefe/Te...r%20Minnie.pdf
    Mike O'Keefe
    Blue Grass, Iowa

Thanks Mike! There was some great reading in that sharpie journal. I kept a semi-detailed thread on my last imprint coops Bullet (http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2425) . He was a lot of fun to fly. I imprinted him with the recipe and then did a daytime hack. This time I am using oc methods instead of complete non-food association before hacking. It will be a learning experience and hopefully yall can learn from mistakes and successes. There will be a lot of blood, sweat, and tears going into making this bird. Just hopefully not too much blood (atleast mine)...
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

I'm interested in knowing at what age the bird will make the association between the CR and the food, you know, that "lightbulb" moment?

5 days old

He hasn't had that "lightbulb" moment yet. He is struggling to stay sitting up and and is learning to eat better. I have already noticed growth in him. Starting to see some pigment in his talons come in.

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

6 days old

It's amazing the difference a day makes. Today his eyes began changing from the hazy blue to being able to see pupils form. He was a lot easier to feed because it appeared he could somewhat focus on the food. His head control has improved greatly as well.

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by rocgwp View Post
    it appeared he could somewhat focus
    At least one of y'all can focus.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Jeff, Congrats on the coop, I love anything imprint accip.wise!! Mind sharing how are you supplying 'supplemental heat"?
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

How did I miss this thread! Looking forward to following along!
    -Isaac

Barry,

I am supplementing heat with a small brooder lamp. I have a thermometer in his nest box to make sure he isn't too hot or cold.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

8 days old

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

cute little bird! im looking forward to its progress. good luck
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

they are cute at that age. its the hard pen that they arent as cute lol. congrats and have fun.
    Jason Pollack, Custom Gunsmith
    http://www.pcwguns.com/

10 days old

Today is the first time I have noticed Picco responding to the CR. Now I can begin shaping behaviors. I plan to begin tagging:
    1. Any calm behavior
    2. Moving toward me and looking for me
    3. Muting
    4. Hooding
    5. Letting me pet and touch him

I am also beginning to change his feeding sessions. Instead of focusing on cropping him up, I will attempt to stretch a session out so I can shape behavior and increase the interaction time. If he is not interested in food, I will skip that feeding 'til later.

As he gets more mobile I will focus on shaping other things...
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the reason for tagging the muting?
    Jason
    "Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

silly boy its toilet training LOL
    Jason Pollack, Custom Gunsmith
    http://www.pcwguns.com/

you mean create a command that will get the bird to go when you want? like before you go inside after flying? I didn't realize it was possible to teach a bird that!
    Jason
    "Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have never tried to do it with a Raptor before, but I think some caution is order when you are teaching a bird to poop on command.

There are parrots that when this is done, desire the reward so bad that if the person forgets to give the command that they will hold it and end up doing damage to themselves in the process.

Just a word of caution.
    Mike

11 days old

The reason I am tagging muting is to potentially shape where the bird mutes (i.e. against the wall instead of into the room.) A falconer that imprinted a gos last year noticed that in his house, the bird would fly to a perch and mute toward the wall. We'll see...
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

good luck and hope to see more pics! hes a cute little guy. good luck!!!
    Cody Livingston
    RT's RULE!!!!!

Hey Conor,

I used to live right down the road from you in Fallbrook. There was nothing but wide open fields in Temecula in those days :-)

Bill B.
    Norman, OK

13 days old

A fun development tonight when feeding. I set the quail down in front of Picco as usual. He got excited and began to reach for the quail. He then stopped and sat back on his haunches anticipating the CR and being fed. It was the first time where I have seen him offer a behavior that will get him fed.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

That's cool! How do you manage his hunger vs the clicker training? Do you always give him full crops, do you wait until he begs before feeding him, etc... Very interesting!

I had been feeding him on a 4 hour schedule with 10 pm being the last feeding until the next morning. I don't crop him at every feeding. I feed while he is interested and stop when he is done. He pretty much dictates when to stop feeding him. I try to stretch a feeding out over a period of 30 minutes or so if I can. This just gives me more time to shape things I like.

I just switched him to a 5 hour schedule to let the hunger build a little more between feedings. He has done the same thing today that he did yesterday. I just finished feeding him and it was obvious that he understands that sitting and waiting is how he makes me feed him. He sat and watched me open a quail and cut it into tidbits in front of him. Once I tagged his calm behavior he lunged for that tidbit.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

14 days old

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Hi Jeff
    This Is shaping up to be a very very interesting thread. Good luck with the process.
    Cheers
    Malcolm
    Last edited by MourneMan; 06-01-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: syntax

Hey Jeff,

Very interesting thread! Any chance you could video a feeding session so we could see how you feed him and the whole process?

Thanks,
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is an education and a half n i second the motion for a video!!
    Rich

calabash kracka

Thread Information