View Poll Results: Where are you staying for NAFA 2010?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Camp ground

14 45.16%
  • Hotel

17 54.84%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 2010 NAFA Meet

Default My pleasure . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Greg,

thank you very much for the info. You helped me tremendously. I am really looking forward to it!

Thank you again for taking the time to share some info.
    . . . and tell me a little bit about what you're flying these days.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Gary
    here is the thing .....
    I can't beleive I told someone to get there head out of there ass .. I dont believe I talk to people like that.. I beleive to be considerate and totally aware of others I have always had an extreme amount of patients for people.
    I am redily tollerant of other peoples driving skills or lack there of.
    In fact I think at times I have even taken the time to get out of my vehicle and then offer them services such as head and body adjustments to help them understand the world around them .. I have even spoken to them with a pep talk if you will face to face and taken the time to educate them on different driving methods they might like to use in the future.
    I think I have gone out of my way to help others along the road ways with different directions of hand signals and jestures that have given them a sence of where I thought they might improve and helped them to better understand my position on how they were driving and how that might help them in the future.

I quess it is all in perspective.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by AxelFortWorth View Post
    Ok...I called KS P&W because online they offered two non resident hunting licenses for the same price.

1. non-resident hunting license
    2. apprentice non-resident hunting license

The individual I called at 1(800) 918-2877 told me the difference is that you can buy the apprentice non-resident hunting license if you don't have the hunters safety course. It will be a one time deal according to her. Just FYI.

I tried to PM Axel, but he never responded... Anyway, is this "Apprentice License" for those of us whose state doesn't require for us to take a hunter's safety course? I'm not an apprentice, but I don't want to take a hunter's safety course in the next couple of weeks just to hawk in Kansas for a few days. I want to see if anyone has any info on this before I call and bug them.

Thanks!
    JenniB
    We promised the world we'd tame it, what were we hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by forestfalcon View Post
    Anyway, is this "Apprentice License" for those of us whose state doesn't require for us to take a hunter's safety course?

Thanks!
    I read it that way.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by forestfalcon View Post
    I tried to PM Axel, but he never responded... Anyway, is this "Apprentice License" for those of us whose state doesn't require for us to take a hunter's safety course? I'm not an apprentice, but I don't want to take a hunter's safety course in the next couple of weeks just to hawk in Kansas for a few days. I want to see if anyone has any info on this before I call and bug them.

Thanks!
    You can purchase the Apprentice License, but here is what the website says regarding that...

Effective July 1, 2007 individuals 16 or older may purchase a one-time deferral of the Hunter Education requirements by purchasing an Apprentice hunting license. Holders of Apprentice hunting licenses must hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter age 18 or older.
    Brandi

Greg,

Thanks for posting that information for all of us to read. It is a great help! This will be my first NAFA meet and I am extremely excited to attened. I'm aiming for getting one jack in the bag, but I'll be happy if she even chases them. I am looking forward to meeting you all in person.

-Meagan-
    Meagan Duffee

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    Gary
    here is the thing .....
    I can't beleive I told someone to get there head out of there ass .. I dont believe I talk to people like that.. I beleive to be considerate and totally aware of others I have always had an extreme amount of patients for people.
    I am redily tollerant of other peoples driving skills or lack there of.
    In fact I think at times I have even taken the time to get out of my vehicle and then offer them services such as head and body adjustments to help them understand the world around them .. I have even spoken to them with a pep talk if you will face to face and taken the time to educate them on different driving methods they might like to use in the future.
    I think I have gone out of my way to help others along the road ways with different directions of hand signals and jestures that have given them a sence of where I thought they might improve and helped them to better understand my position on how they were driving and how that might help them in the future.

I quess it is all in perspective.

Jeez,can anyone else smell that??..is it cow ?..or horse??..no,no...my mistake..its deffinately bull
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    Jeez,can anyone else smell that??..is it cow ?..or horse??..no,no...my mistake..its deffinately bull
    ROFLMAO

Default sorry

I have been in class since monday and not had a chance to check on any mail. All I know is what the nice lady told me, and it sure sounded like it was a way out of having to go through that hunters education course. Of course, due to my impatience, I already went through it. I just wanted to share what I was told. That is why I provided that phone number.
    Axel, Texas
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter45 View Post
    . . . and tell me a little bit about what you're flying these days.
    Hi Greg,

thanks again for the great info. It really does help get a plan together.

I am flying my FHH (Miggs) and a Peales ( Chance) . I got the peals at the end of last season and had him on the wing chasing ducks but nothing in the bag. I got him so late in the season I didn't have much time to try before the molt. I am dropping his weight now along with Miggs. I hope to get some good flying time in while in Dodge city.

How about you what will you be flying while your there?
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Default What else?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Hi Greg,

thanks again for the great info. It really does help get a plan together.

I am flying my FHH (Miggs) and a Peales ( Chance) . I got the peals at the end of last season and had him on the wing chasing ducks but nothing in the bag. I got him so late in the season I didn't have much time to try before the molt. I am dropping his weight now along with Miggs. I hope to get some good flying time in while in Dodge city.

How about you what will you be flying while your there?
    I'm flying my 4x intermewed PFRT, Tess, who's ready to put the hurt on the jacks again this year. She's also caught pheasants in ND, and I hope to have a flight or two at them in KS. I'll also have my old gal, 25x intermewed PFRT, Lady, who I haven't hunted for 4 years, but I'm working the old gal and she may have another season or two left in her. She was something in her younger days, but injuries and WNV have taken their toll. She has a huge foot (5.5" spread) and flew at 52 oz. in her prime. Now she's a crotchty old woman who does only what she feels like doing when she feels like doing it. She's earned her retirement, but acts this year like she'd like to give a go again.

Looks like you've got the perfect duo to handle any game you're likely to come across in KS. You should be able to get some good flights for the falcon and there's plenty of game to keep Miggs happy. Have you read Ed Pitcher's new book? Fascinating reading. He's sure got a neat system for working w/falcons, but it reads like you'd need big country to do it right, something that's hard for most of us to come by.

See you in a few weeks.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Gary repeat after me " Of course I can ride a horse thats what I was doing when I fell off..!!!!
    David

Gary repeat after me " Of course I can ride a horse thats what I was doing when I fell off..!!!!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    i can smell it back here in england. all the best,adrian
    Adrian,England.

[QUOTE=dirthawking;151477[/QUOTE]

''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Well I've spent this rainy day making my annual equipment supply for the meet(except when I ducked out to fly the peregrines)...amazing how long it takes to make 20 sets of jesses/extensions, bracelets and the like from a natural, unoiled hide. So the back up tack is ready for another year, still have to touch up the bow perches, and spruce up the blocks,,,,bring on the party.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Default A PRINCE among men . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    Well I've spent this rainy day making my annual equipment supply for the meet(except when I ducked out to fly the peregrines)...amazing how long it takes to make 20 sets of jesses/extensions, bracelets and the like from a natural, unoiled hide. So the back up tack is ready for another year, still have to touch up the bow perches, and spruce up the blocks,,,,bring on the party.
    . . . . would be my description of you my good friend. I'm working on my fresh leather tonight, and also putting on new bells/bewits/name tags and telemetry tail mounts. Given the length of my trip this year, I've got to be sure I have enough of everything ready. Also have spare leashes to braid, a spare lure to make, and Launcher Leashes (LL) for the NAFA Raffle nights, NAFEX Dinner Raffle, and to sell. My ratty old hawking bag should really be retired, but it's hard to give up a 30 year old piece of equipment, so I'll probably just use the old Speedy Stitcher Awl to patch and reinforce it, and clean it up a bit, for "one more" season. LOL! I've been saying that for 10 years!

Had a conversation with an AZ goshawk man who got a LL last season and was very happy with the improved stamina, strength, and persistence of his gos on game birds. I've added a horizontal drag line exercise to the LL jump ups that works the flight muscles in a different range of motion. I'll be interested to see how my bird flies this year after 6-8 weeks on this regimen. I'm recovered enough from the accident to walk well and run a little. Got to hope Tess gets head holds so I don't have to race in for the assist!

See you soon!
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

. . . . Got to hope Tess gets head holds so I don't have to race in for the assist!

See you soon!

You say the word and I will make sure you have enough brush beaters with you at the NAFA meet that that will not matter!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Greg, we'll make a fine pair, hoping for head shots/can't run much. Got 2 beater/sons at our disposal!!

See ya in a few
    Rich
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Default Thanks, guys!

But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well I'm healing, and I will probably be able to hoof it in to a kill OK; I'm just not up to full stretched out running like you're used to seeing me do (Mark Williams said he couldn't believe that at age 64 I could still move like he saw me last year when we were out with Dave Noble and Danny Denhem to get some good RTs on jacks pics.

I'm here to tell you, falconry, particularly dedicated dirt hawking, keeps you in pretty good shape. Look at how many of the old timers in the 1500's-1800's lived way past the life expectancy of the population average. If you want to see a guy run, however, you need to go out sometime with Russ Wischover from IL; long legs, long stride, and good wind. He can move! I sometimes think he could run down jacks himself.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

; If you want to see a guy run, however, you need to go out sometime with Russ Wischover from IL; long legs, long stride, and good wind. He can move! I sometimes think he could run down jacks himself.

I have!!! Ring the dinner bell, he's faster yet!
    Rich in Illinois....

Rich I sent you a pm would you check it out..
    David

got it
    Rich in Illinois....

Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    what?
    Rich in Illinois....

We are here in Woodward..where are y'all to?????
    Gaz..

Default Wish me good fortune . . .

. . . . this morning. My departure for the Meet has been delayed as I'm waiting for it to get good and light so I can look for my 6 year old mini-longhaired dachshund, Marcel. First time ever he didn't come back to the me and the hawk while on a rabbit (one up/one down), or to the truck. I'm hoping he is in a hole or woodpile and not a coyote's stomach. Was hunting w/2 friends, so had the eyes and ears to hear/see him, but cover is still really thick here. About 20 minutes and I'm out there looking for him.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

. . . . this morning. My departure for the Meet has been delayed as I'm waiting for it to get good and light so I can look for my 6 year old mini-longhaired dachshund, Marcel. First time ever he didn't come back to the me and the hawk while on a rabbit (one up/one down), or to the truck. I'm hoping he is in a hole or woodpile and not a coyote's stomach. Was hunting w/2 friends, so had the eyes and ears to hear/see him, but cover is still really thick here. About 20 minutes and I'm out there looking for him.
    Amarillo, on the way to KC MO. Then to Kansas.

I hope the dog is an easy find for you.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

gary did ya hook up and go ropin...
    David

Still at home, dealing with more snow. I head for El Dorado in the morning!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Default Marcel once was lost . . .

. . . but NOW he's found! Praise the Lord. I'm going to pick him up right now. Here's a nifty field shot of the little guy, aka MRH (Mighty Rabbit Hunter!). I'm going to rig up a way to put a spare hawk transmitter on his collar. Really a necessity in the grassy plains areas.

Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Good news, i've spent some time chasing my JRT, glad you got him back!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

glad ya picked him up Greg. see ya in a few
    Rich in Illinois....

Your in a time out! Apparently riding a dog like a small horse is FROWNED UPON IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT!!
    Colleen

Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by hawknut View Post
    Your in a time out! Apparently riding a dog like a small horse is FROWNED UPON IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT!!
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Thread Information