Thread: Things you would like to see from NAFA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Things you would like to see from NAFA?

In order for folks to help make NAFA a better organization, let's list things we would like to see changed within NAFA or things we would like to see NAFA do that they are not currently doing. Let's not ramble about general things, if you can't be specific about a topic, don't say anything.

To start, on another thread, one was talking about the survey they did and how nothing was done about that survey. Well, from my understanding, one of the biggest complaints of the last survey was NAFA members didn't have access to when their membership was up and when they would need to renewal or if their information was correct. NAFA heard this complaint and you now can look up your membership information on the website.

NAFA can't make changes if the members don't let them know what needs to be changed. NAFA can't start doing something they never did before if members don't ask for it. So let them know what you think and maybe some good ideas will come out of this and with several NAFA directors on here, they can put things in motion.

I will start by saying I would like for NAFA to think about having regional meets. They could partner with a different state in each region and that state could pretty much put on the meet but with a little help from NAFA. NAFA would still have its yearly meet, but this would give folks that don't want to travel to the middle of the US and opportunity to go to a large meet in their own back yard.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my concerns was updating of information/knowing what is going on besides waiting for the newsletter. Seems like Larry has taken care of that one!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

i am with the regional meet thing too. i did the drive out to Texas once and it was the last time i would or will ever do it. i would rather save my time and gas money and hunt locally. i have said it before, i aint gonna drive 30 hours to hunt rabbits.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

I'd like to see all of the old Journal and Hawk Chalk articles published online and indexed by subject and key words.

Here's an example of what has been done with some old birding journals:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/
    Mike O'Keefe
    Blue Grass, Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    I'd like to see all of the old Journal and Hawk Chalk articles published online and indexed by subject and key words.
    Mike, I believe this idea is being worked on as we speak of it! It might take some time of course there are years of issues to deal with. Have you viewed the recent issues on the web site?

All the best,
    Donna in Nebraska, USA
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater Falconer View Post
    Mike, I believe this idea is being worked on as we speak of it! It might take some time of course there are years of issues to deal with. Have you viewed the recent issues on the web site?

All the best,

I have and while the emagazines are nice they are not indexed and are not searchable. What really makes online journals valuable is the ability to search for content when you don't know what issue it might be in.
    Mike O'Keefe
    Blue Grass, Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    i am with the regional meet thing too. i did the drive out to Texas once and it was the last time i would or will ever do it. i would rather save my time and gas money and hunt locally. i have said it before, i aint gonna drive 30 hours to hunt rabbits.
    Have you spoken with your director about your idea? I think it's a great idea but unless you communicate with your area director or a director-at-large how do you think anyone will propose this at a board meeting? Your director is the exact person who could bring this up for serious discussion at the next board meeting.

All these electronic channels we talk on are fun but it boils down to taking responsibility and actually phoning your director and having an actual conversation.
    Donna in Nebraska, USA
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I agree with regional meets and such. The NAFA meet would be the 'big convention' but local regional meets in each directorate or state would be nice too. Pennsylvania has one of the largest falconry meets east of the MS. When I was in Maryland in the 80's. Enjoyed it each year.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmom View Post
    I agree with regional meets and such. The NAFA meet would be the 'big convention' but local regional meets in each directorate or state would be nice too.
    Regional meets . . . sounds like a great idea. Why not flesh out a serious plan and pitch it to your area director? With some concrete points and a direction to follow it would probably be something to consider seriously. To merely say "Hey! Do regional meets," is to plop a HUGE project onto a board which already spends many hours on Association biz.

So I'd suggest make a plan and pitch it. Factor in everything you can think of - location ideas, hotel, weathering yard situation, game availability, hawking permit/hunting license requirements by local governments game depts, meet chairs, frequency, publicity, registration teams, raffle, vendor, etc etc for each and every location we might like to see a regional meet. If the ground work were done and there was some show of support then why wouldn't the idea fly?
    Donna in Nebraska, USA

Regional meets . . . sounds like a great idea. Why not flesh out a serious plan and pitch it to your area director? With some concrete points and a direction to follow it would probably be something to consider seriously. To merely say "Hey! Do regional meets," is to plop a HUGE project onto a board which already spends many hours on Association biz.

So I'd suggest make a plan and pitch it. Factor in everything you can think of - location ideas, hotel, weathering yard situation, game availability, hawking permit/hunting license requirements by local governments game depts, meet chairs, frequency, publicity, registration teams, raffle, vendor, etc etc for each and every location we might like to see a regional meet. If the ground work were done and there was some show of support then why wouldn't the idea fly?
    Donna,

Its not a new idea. Its been bouncing around NAFA for a long time. Its been in the hawk chalks both in the form of members writting in to try and get the idea to take fire, and in the form of directors looking to see if there is interest.

Its also been done. Around 10 years ago the North Pacific Directorate held a regional meet that was a smashing success. And then the director that organized it left office and the new director didnt puruse another one.

It takes momementum to get these things going....and it takes desire to keep them going.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Regional meets . . . sounds like a great idea. Why not flesh out a serious plan and pitch it to your area director? With some concrete points and a direction to follow it would probably be something to consider seriously.
    This has been pitched by board members many times over the years. Once while I've been a director, I think it was Rob Sulski that pitched it and I fully support the idea. But it's always been voted down.

I think it would be a fantastic way to increase membership by making NAFA more relevant on a local level. This was even pitched at our Strategic Planning meeting at the NAFA meet.

I hope we'll get enough directors to support this one of these days and I suspect as more open minded directors are elected this will become a reality one of these days.
    Eric Edwards

The sad thing about going to a NAFA meet is that it is costly, particularly if you are coming from any distance; this in itself limits membership participation, particularly nowadays. So, the idea of regional meets is attractive. However, I'm not sure if NAFA has the resources to make their presence known in a meaningful way each year at various meets throughout the country; it is, after all, a volunteer organization, with only a little over a thousand member in the States. But, having "regional meets" is, in itself, a good idea (IMHO).

BTW, someone mentioned not wanting to drive any distance to a NAFA meet simply to hawk what they can hunt at home, and that makes sense. But, I think those who continually go to NAFA meets do so for the comradarie as much as the hawking. It's certainly a gathering that everyone should attend, at least once.

Bill B.
    Norman, OK

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    BTW, someone mentioned not wanting to drive any distance to a NAFA meet simply to hawk what they can hunt at home, and that makes sense. But, I think those who continually go to NAFA meets do so for the comradarie as much as the hawking. It's certainly a gathering that everyone should attend, at least once.

Bill B.
    Norman, OK
    True. I could stay at home and catch 2-3 times the amount of game that I normally take at a NAFA meet, BUT there is usually the opportunity to hunt new or different quarry, IE jacks. The people is what keeps me coming back year after year. Also being from TX I don't get a lot of opportunity to see goshawks or gyrs fly so there is that benefit too.

One reservation i would have about regional meets would be the cost. Yes in theory they (meets) make money, but first money has to b e spent to find out if it would be a success or not. The organization has already stated that funds are tight and this would be a gamble at best. It could be a cash infusion or it could be a total bust.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    This has been pitched by board members many times over the years. Once while I've been a director, I think it was Rob Sulski that pitched it and I fully support the idea. But it's always been voted down.

I think it would be a fantastic way to increase membership by making NAFA more relevant on a local level. This was even pitched at our Strategic Planning meeting at the NAFA meet.

I hope we'll get enough directors to support this one of these days and I suspect as more open minded directors are elected this will become a reality one of these days.
    Well what are the objections Eric? Why don't we see if we can figure out how to take steps to make this happen? What are the main roadblocks?
    Donna in Nebraska, USA

Donna:
    You are 100% right, it is much easier said than done. Meets are a lot of work for many people. But IF someone wants to do the foot work you have pointed out a lot of the detail, but not all, there is always something that get put aside. But this list is a good start.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    In order for folks to help make NAFA a better organization, let's list things we would like to see changed within NAFA or things we would like to see NAFA do that they are not currently doing. Let's not ramble about general things, if you can't be specific about a topic, don't say anything. . .

NAFA can't make changes if the members don't let them know what needs to be changed. NAFA can't start doing something they never did before if members don't ask for it. So let them know what you think and maybe some good ideas will come out of this and with several NAFA directors on here, they can put things in motion. . .
    Please note that while this forum is a fantastic place to exchange ideas and develop them, contacting your regional director and one or both Directors-at-large is the main way to get these ideas added to an agenda and discussed by your elected decision makers.

Please don't let your ideas appear only on this forum.

Step up and take action by speaking with your directors [as was touched on above]. This is one privelege of membership in our Association.
    Warm regards,
    Donna in Nebraska, USA

Thread Information