Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From AZ

Default Hello From AZ

I'm new to this site so a word of intro. I've flown hawks of various ilk since 1948 and for the past twenty years I've flown mostly desert quail in Arizona with the gos, Cooper's but mostly the late passage male HH and aplomado falcon. I enjoy a good horse and hut off our Peruvian Pasos running one of our pointers.

Harry McElroy.

Hi Harry,

Welcome to NAFEX. I moved your post into it's own thread.

How are you liking living in Kingman as compared to Willcox?
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Joby Guest

Welcome Harry!! It'll be great to have your expertise and experience as part of this forum!
    -Joe Dorrian

Hey Harry,

Good to see you here. I think you will like it. I hope you will keep posting on Repertoire though.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Welcome Harry, great to see you here on Nafex but I do hope (like Bill) that you'll not shun us on RR now that you've this "new fangled" site with all it's "bells & whistles" smiles...
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Welcome Harry, your reputation proceeds you!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Paul,

Thanks, there is quite a difference here than Willcox ranging from 5 of us avid hawkers to stores restaurants and loads of quail. We built a home on a hill just out of town and this morning there was a covey at the feeder with 12 or so little ones. Willcox has had a drought in the last 10 or so years so quail numbers are way down. Way down!

Harry.

Bill and Lee,

I'm still on RR and I'm rather fond of that site.

Harry.

Welcome Harry!

I sure wished I'd had the chance to hawk with you some before you moved as I'm not too far away (by Safford). We've got plenty of quail here. Then you went and moved to Kingman! Oh, well.
    Hope to see you again at the next DHC!
    Michelle M., Fort Thomas, AZ.

Default Glad To See You Harry

Hello Harry,

Im very glad to see you are on this forum also now.
    Lee told me you had a post here.
    Well whenever your ready to come las vegas way just give me a call, i have the same phone number.
    Vinnie Macchirella
    LAS VEGAS REALTOR

Welcome to NAFEX, Harry!
    Brandi

Welcome to NAFEX Harry! I am sure everybody will have fun picking your brain. I look forward to your posts and stories.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Yahoo! It's Harry Great to have you here.
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Michelle,

Sorry to have missed you. We moved last June so we have hawked here one season. Safford is not too far away but some distance to haul a horse trailer and I seldom hawk without 4 good feet under me.

What do you hawk in Safford and what hawk?

Harry.

Harry,
    Great to see you here!
    Martin

Welcome aboard Harry!
    Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

Thanks for all the greetings. I'm still getting to know this site and how to reply. Perhaps I could go to the membership list to get the last name of some.

Harry.

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Hey Harry,

Good to see you here. I think you will like it. I hope you will keep posting on Repertoire though.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK
    What is this Repertoire of which you mention ?

Harry, welcome to the site. big fan of your first three books(even have one of the ones with the duct tape binding) got your 4th but have not read it yet. it's still in the box. i, as well as others, i think it is safe to say, are looking forward to having you here at the site.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Hi Eric,

It's "Raptor Repertoire," a listserv I started back in 1996. You can subscribe at raptorrep.com Things are a little slow now, but, when hawking season starts we generally crank out 75-100 e-mails a day; so, it stays pretty busy. Love to have you (and others) as a member.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Harry!
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by hcmcelroy View Post
    I'm still getting to know this site and how to reply. Perhaps I could go to the membership list to get the last name of some.

Harry.
    Welcome To NAFEX Harry!

It's great to have you on the forum. If you have any questions or need some help do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to your posts and please post pictures of your hawking adventures.

Again welcome aboard!

Chris Lynn
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Default What a pleasure to have you on NAFEX, Harry!

Sandra and I reallly enjoyed stopping by to vist you in Wilcox several years ago. You and you wife were very gracious hosts. We drove almost 7,000 miles on that trip and visited with many dear falconer friends, some who we'd only corresponded with or met a time or two at Meets. Your "falconry history" is certainly one of the most fascinating. May you have many more years of good health and days in the field chasing your "enemy"!
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Haha, boy Greg, you sure get around!!!!

Harry, I tried a redtail the last two years but it didn't work out around here. I love the redtails but the catsclaw here is just too big and the rabbits know how to use it! I trapped a Harris last year but didn't have her long enough to see her full potential. She was a nice bird, one adult feather in each wing. I'm making plans to trap another Harris real soon. I'm not interested in hunting jackrabbits but there are alot around here so I'll be leaning towards another female.

I heard you turned down Jason's bird, what do you plan on flying this year?

Hey there Harry,

It's good to see you here on NAFEX!

Love to hear more about Kingman. Are there slips for a Barbary tiercel there?

Give my best to Pam and Charlie.
    My best to you.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by borderhawk View Post
    Haha, boy Greg, you sure get around!!!!

Harry, I tried a redtail the last two years but it didn't work out around here. I love the redtails but the catsclaw here is just too big and the rabbits know how to use it! I trapped a Harris last year but didn't have her long enough to see her full potential. She was a nice bird, one adult feather in each wing. I'm making plans to trap another Harris real soon. I'm not interested in hunting jackrabbits but there are alot around here so I'll be leaning towards another female.

I heard you turned down Jason's bird, what do you plan on flying this year?
    Michelle,

Since I retired I try to get around to many places. I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding Jason's bird; never was offered to me that I recall. I still have my PFRT Tess, but lost my nifty tiercel RT, Blade to pneumonia last February. Know what you mean about the cat's claw. Saw that in Austin, TX a few years ago when hunting there with Steve Oleson and Manny Carrasco. My wife's tiercel RT, Jack, didn't have any trouble sliding through it to catch cottotails, though. Had to use my snips to cut through to help Sandra get Jack out after one such catch. Definitely nasty cover.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Harry, glad to have you here. I'm a Louisiana Falconer that flies passage AZ Harris Hawks, Padme' and Anakin,
    I caught Padme'(female) in 2006 around Tuscon and Anakin (male) in 2009 around Scottsdale
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

Welcome to the party Harry. Long time since we talked. I think you'll like it here.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter45 View Post
    Michelle,

Since I retired I try to get around to many places. I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding Jason's bird; never was offered to me that I recall. I still have my PFRT Tess, but lost my nifty tiercel RT, Blade to pneumonia last February. Know what you mean about the cat's claw. Saw that in Austin, TX a few years ago when hunting there with Steve Oleson and Manny Carrasco. My wife's tiercel RT, Jack, didn't have any trouble sliding through it to catch cottotails, though. Had to use my snips to cut through to help Sandra get Jack out after one such catch. Definitely nasty cover.
    Greg,

Ooops,, that was meant for Harry.
    My friend here, Dana DeVries, keeps trying to talk me into flying a tiercel RT off the fist. The small female I was flying (around 900g) was having alot of trouble getting caught up in the catsclaw just inches short of a good grip on a rabbit ending up with a fistfull of fur, so I've been having a hard time believing that a male would do much better. I intend on having a stress free year with a Harris this year and then possibly trying the male redtail next year. I can have a hard time committing to any decisions, though....

Hi Harry. How are you? Good to see you around.

Dan
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Martin,

Surprise to see you here! What are you going to fly this year?

Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hollinshead View Post
    Harry,
    Great to see you here!
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by hcmcelroy View Post
    Martin,

Surprise to see you here! What are you going to fly this year?

Harry.
    Come on Harry. Do you really need to ask!
    I joined NAFEX some time back. As you know I’ve long been interested in NA falconry – especially the side of it that has long ears!
    Martin

Michelle,

I have a dual imprinted aplomado falcon and a late passage male HH trapped about 30 days. He is freelofted in the mew and so far held near empty trapped weight (560 grams) but I'm struggling to retain tameness so I can weigh and feed to a given weight each late afternoon. I started the force system yesterday and got him on the scale...

Your HH of last season sounds like a late passage to me. Strange as it may seem I've never trapped one with only one pair of flights. All my late passagers have had two flights and the two decks as adult feathers. I've preferreed the late passager for decades. They are fancy flyers in our desert.

I prefer the late passage because they switch from rabbits to quail more easily than the younger passage. However, my best quail hawk was a young passage that took to quail about the 2nd or 3rd day he was flown and never looked back.

Harry.

Hmmm, Harry McElroy, seems like I have heard that name before! LOL to NAFEX Harry! I have enjoyed reading your books and look forward to your input on many subjects.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information