I for one would like to see an annual opportunity for falconers here in the Mid-Atlantic Region to get together. My sense is that there is wide interest in Cross-State and Regional “Meets”. However, there also seems to be an agenda expectation when you use the term “Meet”. Well how about an informal get together and for lack of a better term call it a Raptor Rendezvous, where people just show up at a centralized pre-defined location, in an area with lot’s of pubic game-land, inexpensive overnight accommodations, and a restaurant where everyone can get together for an evening meal and conversation.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the logistics associated with holding this Mid-Atlantic States Regional event. My feeling is that the right location is somewhere in mid-to-east central Pennsylvania, and in searching for an appropriate area, I’ve come across Pine Grove, PA.

Pine Grove is:

• 3 ½ hours from New York City
  • 2 ½ hours from Baltimore, MD
  • 3 hours from Washington, DC
  • 2 ¾ hours from Philadelphia
  • 3 hours from Morristown, NJ

Located very close to Pine Grove are the following:

• 3,520-acre Swatara State Park most of which is opened to hunting consists of rolling fields and woodlands with common game species including ruffed grouse, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel and waterfowl.
  • State Game Lands # 264 with 8,826 acres
  • Weiser State Forest with 17,961 acres opened to hunting.
  • Also located close by are:
    • State Game Lands # 256 with 1,223 acres
    • State Game Lands # 88 with 6,930 acres
    • State Game Lands # 215 with 1,263 acres

In terms of overnight accommodations there is a Comfort Inn with 1-2 person rooms, with a Free Deluxe Continental Breakfast with a weekday rate of $49.99, and a Friday and Saturday night rate of 59.99.

Pennsylvania offers a 7 day Out-of-State Small Game Hunting License for $31.70

In order to have an opportunity for an early season gathering and not to interfere with the PA & NJ Club meets that are held in January, this event would take place on the weekend of Friday November 19th through Sunday November 21st (the weekend before Thanksgiving).

If you are located in the Mid-Atlantic Region would you attend this “Gathering” given the above logistical information? (Note: for Insurance purposes, there would be no official sponsor for this gathering; rather it would be a publicized Rendezvous Destination for Falconers with an interested in getting together for a few days of hunting and getting to know each other.)