Thread: Finally, a place to find Ken Riddle's new book

Default Finally, a place to find Ken Riddle's new book

Last year I received a complimentary copy of the book "The Art of Falconry in Arabia Westward" from a good friend in Abu Dhabi.

It's a very methodically detailed compilation of the current development and conditioning techniques now being used so successfully in the Gulf authored by American Veterinarian and falconer Kenton Riddle, who has lived in the UAE for many years. He was responsible for the start-up and management of the amazing Falcon Hospital built by HH Sheikh Zayed, and has accumulated more first-hand experience about Arab Falconry than any other living non-Arab.

But for quite a while there was a question as to where one could go to actually buy copies.

Last week, Ken sent us the link to "booksarabia.com" and the page where his book is now available to the public.

There will probably be a few here on this Forum interested to look at it, here.

Here's the brief intro:

"This book is a must-have for those interested in the fascinating art of falconry. Ken Riddle, a master falconer, shares explicit detail, invaluable techniques and insights unique to Arab falconry, practices based on experience and on a tradition uninterrupted since the very origins of the sport."

It's a serious tome. I'd certainly recommend it. . .
    RB

Has anyone tried ordering from the site the book is listed on? I have been hearing about this book for awhile now and was excited when I saw that it was now available, but have held off from getting it as I am not familiar with the web site.
    Jay T.
    Montana

I have thumbed through a copy and it looks fascinating and very well done. I wonder what the shipping would be from the UAE? I certainly would want to buy one for myself.
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
    I have thumbed through a copy and it looks fascinating and very well done. I wonder what the shipping would be from the UAE? I certainly would want to buy one for myself.
    Shipping is around $40 if I remember right. Almost as much as the book.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

It works out to be about $85 WITH shipping. Just ordered it. If I'd had half a brain, I would have ordered a dozen or so copies to save on shipping and then sold the extras to you guys.... hindsight.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    It works out to be about $85 WITH shipping. Just ordered it. If I'd had half a brain, I would have ordered a dozen or so copies to save on shipping and then sold the extras to you guys.... hindsight.
    Now you can find it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Falconry-A...4242788&sr=8-5

Buy it!! The book is amazing, and I predict that it will seriously change/impact the practice of our sport in some significant ways. In my opinion, this is the most important falconry related book to have been published in a great many years.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

from Amazons web site...

"Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Someone on Amazon is now selling them from Georgia. $75 plus $3.99 shipping. Not sure how long they will last.

I'm looking for a copy as well, I couldn't find anything on Amazon.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by canvibe View Post
    I'm looking for a copy as well, I couldn't find anything on Amazon.
    Click on the link in post #6, there is one for sale there right now.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi, someone of the forum members has received successfullyment this book if it was ordered directlyment from Arabia? thanks.
    Roberto. Mexico City.

Just got mine today, ordered from Amazon books, well worth it, Ken Riddle is an extraordinary falconer and adventurer and the book show that.
    Forrest
    Northern Plains

Received mine today also from Amazon.com. I thumbed through it and it looks great!
    I enjoyed the way they are catching Houbaras for research, and retrieving lost falcons with falcons using talon and beak guards. Can't wait to have time to read the whole book.
    Aimee P.

Default 2010 falconry books

In my opinion, Ken Riddle’s book is a detailed falconry treatise that will be valuable to anyone who is interested in parent raised non-imprint captive bred falcons, passage falcons and passage Gos Hawks.

J. Stoddart
    John Stoddart

Hi,

I ordered a copy of this book (some time ago now) from arabia.com and received it within a couple of days. I was really impressed with how quickly they dealt with my order.

I think the cost was about $90 CAD including postage.

A great book and well worth the read.

Regards

Alex Stokes
    Alberta
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by TiercelR View Post
    Hi, someone of the forum members has received successfullyment this book if it was ordered directlyment from Arabia? thanks.

Black Gold Guest

Just received my copy of Ken's book. I only skim read it, but appears to have a lot meat to draw from. He is a super knowledgeable Falconer and Veterinarian. I had the great pleasure of hanging out with him for a few days, learned a lot in those few days.

I've been reading this for a few weeks now, it's great. It really gets down to the nitty gritty of how and why and doesn't leave much to imagine or guess at. Something i'd recommend to any level of falconer, but especially apprentices to try and wrap their head around weight vs hunger vs condition early in their career.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I just ordered my copy of the book from Amazon. $ 83.99 including shipping. As I write this, there is one copy left on Amazon for sale.

I have really wanted to read this book.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

I received my copy, consider it a must read for all those "in the art"

Bob Payne
    "So many hawks, so little time"

Just ordered this from Amazon for the prices mentioned above. One copy left.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    Just ordered this from Amazon for the prices mentioned above. One copy left.
    There's always one copy left...
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I ordered the book from Books.Arabia and it arrived from Dubai to rural Saskatchewan in 5 days. When I ordered Ed Pitchers book UPS got it to me from Salt Lake City in 13 days and charged me an additional $19. No fault of Ricardo's, he tried hard to get me a good deal. Tracking the parcel was very interesting-that book went on quite a journey. From Dubai though, Ken's book came to me like like a racing pigeon.
    Bob
    1 John 3:23

The book is no longer available from this site. Or else I am not looking it up properly. Any suggestions?

Do a search using the title. There's a thread by the author. He might have a few books for sale. It could be outdated by now.

Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Thread Information