Thread: hi to you guys across the pond!

Default hi to you guys across the pond!

hello everyone,just been 'introduced' to your forum,look foreward to hearing how you guys 'do it' over there!probably under bluer,sunnier skies than grey uk!(gray to you!)
    i hunt a male gos - imprint,coming up for his 3rd season,and after years of 'falconry' i'm currently lure flying my first longwing- a tiercel pere x saker.
    -dave sharpe.

Welcome Mate! and check out the snake room!!!! Is your hybrid for pursuit or waiting on?
    Forrest
    Northern Plains

to the forum, and we LIKE pictures....
    Bill

thanks guys!dakota:where do you think ive just been!!!i wont be able to take this forum for long,i'll be way to jealous of what you lot have all around!i mean,some guys got umpteen black rats in his back yard,another's caught a wild h/monster,and you cant go out at night without tripping over rattlers-lifes so unfair!!!!!

i will post pics soon,of my falconry here in northamptonshire,and mebe some snakes from when i lived in spain-it was sunnier there!!!(the inside of my boots is sunnier than here at the mo'!!

the hybrid is for lure work only,as i want to learn about good lure swinging,and see how well he works on the lure.(but of course the local crows will become more and more tempting-i dare say)

Welcome Dave!! I am always excited about Goshawk hunting stories from your side of the pond. One day I will have to give a Gos a try. Just waiting until I have the time to obsess on it like I always want to do.

Right on about taking the time to learn good lure technique right from the get go. I am still working on my lure swinging skills. (and having loads of fun while I am doing it.)
    Tom

thanks mad',i managed to wrap the lure line around my bag the other day-i looked a right tit!!getting better tho'and the birds getting fitter day by day.although i cant believe how gradual the fitness level builds with these longwings,compared to (percieved)fitness buildup with a gos etc.
    your right to get a gos when you can devote it dedication,i'm flying an imprint at mo'which is more loyal on its return(any distance,even unsighted)than any harris!probably!and in some ways,relaxing,compared to a p.r.i used to fly a pr years ago(which got shipped over to the 'washington state f,a.'-i think ?.)anyway completely diff kettle of fish,but in my own company,with only my dog,she was one determined girl-superb!
    mind you all shortwings seem to 'grow'if they get daily flying/hunting dont they.-dave
    great site you guys have.
    Dave

Hi Dave,

I am still working on my lureing technique myself. Still getting better but not where I want to be with it yet.

I would love to read about your gos, I am without a shortwing at the moment. Mews is all full of falcons and a Harris at the moment. I would guess that I spend three times as much time manning an accipiter than I do with a falcon as my minimum, and I just can't devote the time right now. So a bitchin UK Goshawkin thread would really kick booty!

Great hawkin
    Tom

roll on october then!hopefully for some good sport!although at the moment rabbit numbers seem to be a bit low around my permission,which will be a bummer!just been over to see a friends new pair of bonellies eagles,this years birds.theyre going to be exclusively used for brown hare,so i'll be looking foreward to seeing them go this season!
    hey,a mews full of longwings and a harris sounds rather nice!-dave
    Dave

Yes, roll on October!! I would love to hear how the Bonellies do this season as well. I have never heard of anyone flying Bonellies on this side of the pond. I bet they are gonna be real good on those brown hares. (Never having seen a brown hare in person, I have a mental picture of them looking like Jackrabbits on Steroids...)

And yeah, I do have to agree that I am pretty happy with the pointy winged kids, and my Harris is everything I could want out of a Harris...except he hates dogs with an unholy passion, and I have an English Pointer that would work under him like a dream. It just sucks to have to leave the pooch in the truck when its Harris time.

Great Hawkin!
    Tom

The biggest brown hare I've caught was 7.30 pound (3.3kilogram just to be sure I don't make a mistake) so that might give you an idea what a brown hare is all about
    Hawkoholism IS a disease, but it's a nice one!

yes they are whopping things!my gos took an early season one,and that weighed 6.5lb,which for him was a huge catch!but that was a youngster of the year.when you see a big un get up near your feet on a ploughed field,you just cant believe how such a big animal can be invisible to you on plain ground,just in a shallow scrape!
    i'm a bit soft whwere theyre concerned and dont realy like killing them(sad i know,)luckily i dont have many on my land!when i flew a female gos years ago,i usualy released any hares she took-dont tell anyone!!
    shame about the harris and the dog-youd think theyd realize what a help the dog is to them!my gos is moulting out with my dog running around under him-no worries.but we are looking after my sis in laws working cocker spaniel.this dog doesnt hassle the bird at all,yet he hates it,the dogs been here several times 'on holiday'-but the gos just wont relax when that dogs around!
    Dave

hi bram,ive just got back from a family camping trip to the netherlands,i was chatting to a belgian guy next to us,have to say if your all as friendly as him you must live in a nice place!went to duinrell waterpark,if you know it?!!
    Dave

Welcome to NAFEX.net !

Glad to hear that your Gos understands that the dog is not a pincushion. Think you can have him talk to my harris and set him straight? lol I am going to try some drastic methods this year to see if I can make my Vinney play nice with my Chaser, but don't keep your fingers crossed...

Great hawkin to ya Dave,
    Tom

thanks longwinger 2010!
    mad' ,my last gos would bounce off my dog wenever he was miffed-such as if he missed a kill-it was always the dogs fault.............!
    Dave

Thread Information