Thread: The Old and the New

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Old and the New

In his most recent Director's Report, Ralph Rogers basically said that in days gone bye NAFA members were interested in what they could do for falconry, while many of todays members are more interested in what NAFA can do for them. Leaving personalities out of it, do you feel that Ralph has a valid point, or not? I am not saying I agree with Ralph, but frankly, in the short time I have been part of this forum, I have read a number of comments along the line, "NAFA does not represent my interests, " or "What do I get for my dues besides a periodicals?" etc.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

I think there is a bunch of both within NAFA...There is quite a history of NAFA not listening to it's members... There is also quite a few members that think paying dues is enough, like buying insurance in case of some unforeseen calamity..
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Barry,

I agree with you about NAFA's history of not listening to its members, but, that's been discussed ad naseum, so we had probably better let that go for the purposes of this thread. I would like to address your second point--dues equating to insurance.

People join most national "sporting" organizations to associate with people who have similar interests that they might feel passionate about. But, in our case we have a history of defending and protecting our sport, so you are right, Barry--joining NAFA for many is like paying insurance. Frankly, I view NAFA's roll as a national watchdog organization as important. But, again, Ralph was suggesting that members nowadays are more interested in what's in it for them personally, rather than focusing on the big picture (NAFA's roll in helping to ensure the future of falconry).

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Barry,

I agree with you about NAFA's history of not listening to its members, but, that's been discussed ad naseum, so we had probably better let that go for the purposes of this thread. I would like to address your second point--dues equating to insurance.

People join most national "sporting" organizations to associate with people who have similar interests that they might feel passionate about. But, in our case we have a history of defending and protecting our sport, so you are right, Barry--joining NAFA for many is like paying insurance. Frankly, I view NAFA's roll as a national watchdog organization as important. But, again, Ralph was suggesting that members nowadays are more interested in what's in it for them personally, rather than focusing on the big picture (NAFA's roll in helping to ensure the future of falconry).

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK
    Well said Bill.

At the moment, with 43 states needing to ratify new regulations though, NAFA can and is going far beyond being 'insurance'.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

I do believe that falconers used to feel like "what can I do to help". But its not just NAFA that suffers. The younger generation has a generally lack of concern for others and seem to be only intersted in themselves.......
    Bill

Bill,

When you say, "younger generation," how young are we talking about? I've found that the vast majority of the NAFA membership has been complacent over the years, regardless of age. As I've said before, up until about 10-15 years ago, most folks were paying their dues in order to receive the HC and Journal. We were all starved for relative information about contemporary falconry, but, that's no longer the case. So falconers who have come on the scene during this period are questioning whether they should be a NAFA member (IMO). Perhaps this is what Ralph is talking about.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    I do believe that falconers used to feel like "what can I do to help". But its not just NAFA that suffers. The younger generation has a generally lack of concern for others and seem to be only intersted in themselves.......
    Being a part of that/a younger generation, I tend to agree with your observation. I can't stand that and hate being stereotyped into it by my age. I ask that you have hope for some of us!

I offer an observation in return though, do you really think that's any different from past generations? Typically younger people are more inward because of where they are at in life. It's a product of society much of the time. It's only exacerbated by technology/text/myspace/twitter. That and it's more visible to older generations as they can now be connected on the same level which isn't something that occurred in the past.

Something tells me for for much of eternity, older generations will always think this of younger generations.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Fred,

I'm in the dark in terms of what NAFA is doing to help the states ratify new regulations, but, again the answer to this question would take the conversation beyond the topic of the thread (I think); so, if you could e-mail me at falconer@cox.net and tell me what NAFA is doing, I would appreciate it.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

In his most recent Director's Report, Ralph Rogers basically said that in days gone bye NAFA members were interested in what they could do for falconry, while many of todays members are more interested in what NAFA can do for them. Leaving personalities out of it, do you feel that Ralph has a valid point, or not? I am not saying I agree with Ralph, but frankly, in the short time I have been part of this forum, I have read a number of comments along the line, "NAFA does not represent my interests, " or "What do I get for my dues besides a periodicals?" etc.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK
    An old friend(Mark P., from the Seattle area) tried to donate his time to get a decent NAFA website up and going, some 20 years ago, and was shunned by the NAFA board.

Ask not what NAFA can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR NAFA....Oh Please! There must be a new JFK movie out
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Jeff writes:

"An old friend(Mark P., from the Seattle area) tried to donate his time to get a decent NAFA website up and going, some 20 years ago, and was shunned by the NAFA board.

Ask not what NAFA can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR NAFA....Oh Please! There must be a new JFK movie out"

Jeff, first of all I don't think most folks would argue with the fact that NAFA has been behind the power curve when it comes to their presence on the web, but that is not what this discussion is about.

Also, it's also not about what falconers can do for NAFA. Again, Ralph's comment (and what this thread is about) was that NAFA members in days gone bye were interested in what they could do "for falconry" (not NAFA) and now they seem to be more interested in what NAFA can do for them (personally).

I think you may have missed the point a bit.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Also, it's also not about what falconers can do for NAFA. Again, Ralph's comment (and what this thread is about) was that NAFA members in days gone bye were interested in what they could do "for falconry" (not NAFA) and now they seem to be more interested in what NAFA can do for them (personally).

I think you may have missed the point a bit.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK[/QUOTE]

Bill, Nafa and falconry are not necessarily the same in this case. Most people I have ever known have probably never concerned themselves with what they could do for falconry as such. And I would not equate the two, since Nafa is not falconry, but rather a National Club as such. People have always joined a club for what it could do for them. I could not see someone actually joining a club that they had nothing in common with. Maybe a tax write off? I guess what I am trying to say is that what Nafa could do for you and what you can do for falconry are not even on the same side of the fence here.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by sharptail View Post
    An old friend(Mark P., from the Seattle area) tried to donate his time to get a decent NAFA website up and going, some 20 years ago, and was shunned by the NAFA board.

Ask not what NAFA can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR NAFA....Oh Please! There must be a new JFK movie out
    Get over it Jeff, that was 20 years ago! Geeez! Time to let things go!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Get over it Jeff, that was 20 years ago! Geeez! Time to let things go!
    If nothing else this PROVES that NAFA is changing for the better.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Don't bash NAFA, they have done a tremendous amount for the preservation of falconry in the US. When the MTBA was passed. NAFA put together the current system of licensing and regulations that kept falconry legal in the US. Otherwise, it would have been outlawed nationwide. We got the take of peregrines back. Something I thought may NEVER happen in my lifetime.

Antis are a real threat. We have to be ever watchful of them. They are sneaking in the administration of the Game Depts. And unfortunately, most antis are FEMALE. Non-hunting females, who have NO CLUE or ignore the science in the studies of the natural cycles of this planet, despite some having a biology background. The hook and bullet guys are our best allies. They understand. Steve Bodio's article in the 1987 American Hunter Magazine explains it best.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Here is the link to the article I just posted in one of my blogs: www.fieldsportsforever.blogspot.com
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK
    Well, I think NAFA members should be interested in what NAFA can do for them, if by that they mean, what can NAFA do to keep falconry good. What other reason is there for NAFA to exist? Any organization can get headed the wrong way, it's up to the membership to keep it on the right path.

There's not room for everyone to to work within NAFA, but still, everyone can do something for falconry. In addition to holding positions in state clubs, we can all help falconry by how we present ouselves to the general public. Like it or not, we are visible and people do form opinions. If we practice falconry in an ethical manner, deal with the public in a friendly, courteous, and informative manner, give presentations at libraries, schools, bird watcher groups, etc. when asked, we are doing something for falconry. Not everyone can be a mover and a shaker, but we can all be good citizens of the falconry community. In my state, we lost hound hunting because the antis really got behind a ballet initiative, and it seemed like many houndsmen had gone out of their way to antagonize the public. We could lose falconry the same way. Most people vote on something like that on an emotional basis; we can all try to give folks a good impression of falconry and falconers.
    Dave

It is great to see you back on Nafex Dave!!! I hope to read more of you hawking adventures soon!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by sharptail View Post
    It is great to see you back on Nafex Dave!!! I hope to read more of you hawking adventures soon!
    Thanks, Jeff. I look forward to reading about your grouse hawking.
    Dave

Thread Information