Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: James "Fred" Seaman - Candidate DAL

Default James "Fred" Seaman - Candidate DAL

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    Personally. I'd like to see each person running for office open a thread on here and invite questions. Then the question and the answer is here for all to see. This way we could get to know the person running and see who does what they say they'll do and who doesnt.
    OK.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Great!

So how exactly will NAFA/ Falconry and me ,the member beneift by your being elected?
    Bill

Great!

So how exactly will NAFA/ Falconry and me ,the member beneift by your being elected?
    Hi Bill, Pretty general question...what are you looking for?
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Great!

Oh, that one is easy! We would have a "Fred" as a director!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great!

Well, I'm definitely not the 'old guard'.

I am a do-er. I get things done. Can't be a success in business if your not.

I am so passionate about falconry that I restructured my entire life around it.

I can't say I'll do 'this' or I'll do 'that', but I can say I'll do my best to return our organization to "THE NAFA' not just 'a NAFA'.
    Fred Seaman

Fred,

I'm inclined to vote for the other candidate, since I have known him for a number of years; however, I want to make an informed choice.

You write:

>I am so passionate about falconry that I restructured my entire life around it.

How does passion about falconry equate to being a good director; in other words, is there a direct correlation between level of passion for falconry and level of achievement as a director?

You also write:

>I can't say I'll do 'this' or I'll do 'that', but I can say I'll do my best to return our organization to "THE NAFA' not just 'a NAFA'.

This is a vague statement. Can you clairify? Thanks.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Fred:
    After reading the thread " Things you would like to see from NAFA" doesn't that just want you to go out and bust your 0$$ as DAL.
    Believe it or not, if you get elected there are many that feel your time belongs to them. No hawking, trips, vacation. You chose to be DAL do the job right or you should have not run for off. I do not see many people sitting at the meeting at the NAFA meets. As far as travel cost go. Look on the web site and see how many people are on some of these committees. If I was a dissatisfied with NAFA as some I would be gone in a minute. I just get real tired of hearing what is NAFA going to do for me.
    OK, thats it, that's my 2 cent worth and that is all it worth. JMO. Donna, thanks for all you do for NAFA. Fred, the web site look good, lot of information, the site has the committee members on it.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

How are you going to get more people involved in NAFA and consider becoming members of NAFA. How are you going to encourage the non-longwing comunity to become more involved. How are you going to promote programs that encourage falconry down to grass root levels. What programs do you intend to promote that will take falconry out of the "step child" of hunting to a more prominent level in the hunting comunity.

Just some ideas .....
    Stephen Olner

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton View Post
    Fred:
    After reading the thread " Things you would like to see from NAFA" doesn't that just want you to go out and bust your 0$$ as DAL.
    Believe it or not, if you get elected there are many that feel your time belongs to them. No hawking, trips, vacation. You chose to be DAL do the job right or you should have not run for off. I do not see many people sitting at the meeting at the NAFA meets. As far as travel cost go. Look on the web site and see how many people are on some of these committees. If I was a dissatisfied with NAFA as some I would be gone in a minute. I just get real tired of hearing what is NAFA going to do for me.
    OK, thats it, that's my 2 cent worth and that is all it worth. JMO. Donna, thanks for all you do for NAFA. Fred, the web site look good, lot of information, the site has the committee members on it.
    When I was asked I said I would do the best job I know how to do.

I've caught game at the three field meets Cal HC, AFC and NAFA so I can concentrate on business at the meeting.
    Fred Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by steveo_uk View Post
    How are you going to get more people involved in NAFA and consider becoming members of NAFA. How are you going to encourage the non-longwing comunity to become more involved. How are you going to promote programs that encourage falconry down to grass root levels. What programs do you intend to promote that will take falconry out of the "step child" of hunting to a more prominent level in the hunting comunity.

Just some ideas .....
    Wow, that almost sounds like running for city government. I not sure one director can fix all of what you ask, they are important issues so I'll take some time to think about them except one.

It is my believe that non-longwingers are heavily involved. That is the best thing that has happened. The president is a gos man, the people that help at the meets (all on this board) are mostly broad and short wingers. When I look at the list of officers and directors it looks pretty well mixed to me. One of them I'm pretty sure would fly anything with a hooked beak and talons.
    Fred Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Fred,

I'm inclined to vote for the other candidate, since I have known him for a number of years; however, I want to make an informed choice.

You write:

>I am so passionate about falconry that I restructured my entire life around it.

How does passion about falconry equate to being a good director; in other words, is there a direct correlation between level of passion for falconry and level of achievement as a director?

You also write:

>I can't say I'll do 'this' or I'll do 'that', but I can say I'll do my best to return our organization to "THE NAFA' not just 'a NAFA'.

This is a vague statement. Can you clairify? Thanks.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK
    Hi Bill,

Then vote for Ron. I like him to. He's been to my house, he came over with Fidel DeLatore so I could put a Marshall trackpack on Fidel's Barbary, tiercel I think.

You edited out important parts of my post. I'm a get it done person. That's how I'll help. Specifics... It's not just me that would have to help steer the organization to where we want it to be so how can I provide specifics.

As for vague, your original question was vague so you get a vague answer.
    Fred Seaman

Thanks, Fred. I was just curious.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

To me, Fred running for DAL is an invitation to the many lost members, who felt that NAFA no longer represented there views mainly about the private property/illegal search/so called inspection issue, to rejoin. I see his campaign as an olive branch of peace to both sides of this issue, an opportunity for healing and for NAFA to again represent most if not all of the US falconers as well as others. I am sure that there are some in the club that would prefer that the group of falconers described above, not be repatriated. To not do so, leaves the falconry community fractured and weakened, in the face of our enemys. Instead of a race to convience new members to our ranks to choose sides and join 1 club or the other, we are better off having 2 international clubs that are moving towards common goals, and not competeing.

Unfortunately, I see the 'old guard' playing politics...I am a candidate/I am not running..the old politics as usual, jockeying to control the field...there candidate wins but falconry really looses.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

First thing Fred, thanks for your willingness to take this Q & A session on.

Two things I'd most like to see happen:

A changing off the guard. You cant change NAFA if the same people are running it. So you meet that requirement.
    Secondly, I like to see a director that worked towards what the members wanted rather than their own personal agenda. Its great that you have ideas. But I want sombody thats going to work for what I want, presuming of course my wants are in the majority. If you'll do that, then you have my vote.
    Bill

I am pretty sure that just about everyone on this forum has changed their life for falconry in one way or another. I know I have. But, I would never want the head aches involved with the job you are after.
    Jim
    New Mexican

First thing Fred, thanks for your willingness to take this Q & A session on.

Two things I'd most like to see happen:

A changing off the guard. You cant change NAFA if the same people are running it. So you meet that requirement.
    Secondly, I like to see a director that worked towards what the members wanted rather than their own personal agenda. Its great that you have ideas. But I want sombody thats going to work for what I want, presuming of course my wants are in the majority. If you'll do that, then you have my vote.
    I don't have any 'wants' or 'personal agendas' except freedom. Freedom to practice my falconry. Freedom from illegal search.
    Fred Seaman

Fred, Thanks for running for DAL!
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Fred, I saw that you stated on another thread that you would prefer that all non native raptors require a permit of some sort.
    May I ask why?
    I believe that in order to hunt with a non-native raptor you must posses a falconry license and put that non-native raptor on it.
    In Florida you must apply for a permit to keep eleven or more exotic birds anyway. Why do you think that there needs to be more severe restrictions for non-native birds that are also raptors?
    This would seem to me to be a step backwards.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Fred, I saw that you stated on another thread that you would prefer that all non native raptors require a permit of some sort.
    May I ask why?
    I believe that in order to hunt with a non-native raptor you must posses a falconry license and put that non-native raptor on it.
    In Florida you must apply for a permit to keep eleven or more exotic birds anyway. Why do you think that there needs to be more severe restrictions for non-native birds that are also raptors?
    Good question Mere....
    Bill

May I ask why?
    I don't think there should be more sever restrictions.

I don't think there should be any restrictions for exotics at all except federal registration. The only reason for that is to have proof of ownership. No one steals registered birds because the feds track them.

I don't trust the states. Like you say, FL has special restrictions. In CA last time I asked, hunting with an exotic was a 'gray area', which to me means LE will ticket you then you get to pay a lawyer to prove you didn't do anything wrong. I don't like 'gray areas' and I don't like different rules in different states.

I know in some states, you can register your exotic on your falconry license but does that count against your possession limit? What happens if you cross state lines with it and the next state treats it completely differently?

Why does this matter? I fly barbaries and exotic hybrids, what do I do with a bird that doesn't have a federal closed ring? I know the new regs have a clause that the falconer when in another state is subject to his home state falconry regs but the local state hunting regs.

I don't think anyone else really wants this and wouldn't propose it in anyway. Like I said, I don't like gray areas.
    Fred Seaman

I'm not sure that you answered my question, Fred.
    We are well and thoroughly regulated by state and federal regs as it is. I am aware that you do "bird control", which is a specific, beneficial service.
    Again, why would you want additional permits and licensing for exotic raptors?
    If no "grey" area was involved, would you want additional permits for exotic raptors?
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

So may I take it that you don't wish additional regs and laws to be applied to non-native raptors?
    Meridith

So may I take it that you don't wish additional regs and laws to be applied to non-native raptors?
    Now you have it.
    Fred Seaman

... Again, why would you want additional permits and licensing for exotic raptors?
    If no "grey" area was involved, would you want additional permits for exotic raptors?
    Don't want additional permits for exotics, we are over regulated as it is.

My spell checker doesn't know 'grey' and changed it to 'gray', long work days right now 14hrs+ common so I missed it.
    Fred Seaman

All good then IMHO.
    Don't stress about my personal spelling of "grey".
    I use it mostly for parrots, it must have just slipped by me.
    I am pleased to see that you will not encourage LE to make extra paperwork over exotic raptors.
    Meridith

Default Non-resident take

Fred,

I'd be interested in hearing your views on non-resident take in all states (even AK).

I've seen a statement from Ron in a thread from last year http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=5310

Thanks,
    Daren

Simple: all states should allow wild take regardless of residency.

Anything else is playing politics with public resource access.

An administration fee for non-residence should be allowed, within reason.
    Fred Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
    An administration fee for non-residence should be allowed, within reason.
    What do you think is 'within reason'? Personally, I think some of the fees (and I have paid them, and trapped nothing) are way outta whack. Especially for the man hours involved (one person types out a form and mails it, I would think, at most). Just this past season, I went between SD, which charged something like $250, down to OK where all I had to do was buy a $60 hunting license. These prices are ballpark but should be pretty close.

p.s. I might add I believe I could have done the license cheaper, but I wanted to hunt jacks as well while I was there. Seems to me I upped it a bit for that.
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    What do you think is 'within reason'? Personally, I think some of the fees (and I have paid them, and trapped nothing) are way outta whack. Especially for the man hours involved (one person types out a form and mails it, I would think, at most). Just this past season, I went between SD, which charged something like $250, down to OK where all I had to do was buy a $60 hunting license. These prices are ballpark but should be pretty close.

p.s. I might add I believe I could have done the license cheaper, but I wanted to hunt jacks as well while I was there. Seems to me I upped it a bit for that.
    Well, the 'out of state' falconry license is going away. So that won't be an issue much longer.

The out of state hunting license is far beyond the reach of influence by falconers. Some states charge huge amounts thinking that all out of state hunters are coming there for big game.

That leaves only the out of state wild take capture fee. The state with the best structure seems to be Kansas. Send them an e-mail and your non-resident permit will arrive in the mail. Second best seems to be Oregon at $10 but recent events have put a shadow on wild take there.

IMO the best structure is there is none. With the reciprocal agreement on licensing why should there be a fee on non-resident wild take? Some states will maintain the fee to support their banding requirements some won't, those that have a capture fee because they require banding, non-resident should be the same a resident. I don't have a problem with a state charging and administrative fee equal to 1 hour burdened cost for the office staff issuing the paper work. Say $50 or so.

If the wild take process is going to be observed by a state officer/biologist due to species sensitivity, as in peregrines or golden eagles then the same fee charged to residents should be charged to non-residents as it is mearly a state cost recovery fee.

In a nut shell, we have no impact so we should have no high fees. Administrative cost recovery is the only justification and even that needs to be limited otherwise the state is selling wildlife for a profit. I know it goes on every day for dear/elk and other big game but raptors are not big game.
    Fred Seaman

Well put and I agree. Thank you for the response Fred.
    Dave Hampton
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Default Thanks

Thanks, Fred. I agree wholeheartedly.
    Daren

Well, the 'out of state' falconry license is going away. So that won't be an issue much longer.
    Fred, this is not correct at all. Colorado has a non-resident falconry license and it has been written into the new regs as well. It is a cost of 55.25 for this license. Even if you permanently move to Colorado, you can't become a resident for at least 6 months. I have had a nonresident falconry permit the year I have been here because I kept my Texas resident permits.

G. Nonresidents residing temporarily in Colorado may qualify for the falconry license appropriate for their experience as determined by the Division. Applicants must submit documentation demonstrating their prior experience. Applicants must comply with the exam requirement in Part B of this subsection. Applicants who are legally in possession of a raptor may retain that raptor while applying for a nonresident license. Prior to obtaining a license, nonresidents residing temporarily in Colorado must provide and thereafter maintain facilities and equipment acceptable to the Division at all times when any raptor is in the licensee's possession.

Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
    Fred, this is not correct at all. Colorado has a non-resident falconry license and it has been written into the new regs as well. It is a cost of 55.25 for this license. Even if you permanently move to Colorado, you can't become a resident for at least 6 months. I have had a nonresident falconry permit the year I have been here because I kept my Texas resident permits.

G. Nonresidents residing temporarily in Colorado may qualify for the falconry license appropriate for their experience as determined by the Division. Applicants must submit documentation demonstrating their prior experience. Applicants must comply with the exam requirement in Part B of this subsection. Applicants who are legally in possession of a raptor may retain that raptor while applying for a nonresident license. Prior to obtaining a license, nonresidents residing temporarily in Colorado must provide and thereafter maintain facilities and equipment acceptable to the Division at all times when any raptor is in the licensee's possession.

Yeah, I figured CO would do that. Sorry, I hadn't checked.

Did the state insist on this or did the club lobby to keep it in.

Very frustrating. I hope no other state picks up this unwarranted idea.
    Fred Seaman

Yeah, I figured CO would do that. Sorry, I hadn't checked.

Did the state insist on this or did the club lobby to keep it in.

Very frustrating. I hope no other state picks up this unwarranted idea.
    Technically, neither lobbied to keep it. It is a state statue and not in the Division of Wildlife chapters/hunting regs that you have to be here 6 months to establish residency for hunting. It was put into place to stop big game hunters from getting around the out of state tags.

I am not saying I am for this, just why it is there.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

.....i used to love Colorado until I got into falconry....
    Dave Hampton

Thread Information