Thread: Hello From UT

Default Hello From UT

The name is Carl. Im brand new to falconry and have just been hitting the books to learn more about it. I was interested when i was young but now that im a little older and have a nice job I can afford to get into falconry. Ive always loved the outdoors as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me being brand new? Im into my first book learning the basics. Its called Falconry: Art and Practice by Emma Ford. Its the only book that my library has. Does anyone know of a good book i can look into that would help me prepare for the test? Suggestions for a newbie would be great. Also do you get a sponsor before or after the test?

Carl

Welcome Carl and I think you can get your answers by going to the forums and under the General Falconry dicussion is a sub forum for apprentices.

Good luck,
    Leon
    Leon

Hello Carl,

Welcome to NAFEX.

Have a look at this thread it will help answer a lot of your questions

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2007

Good luck,

Chris
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    The name is Carl. Im brand new to falconry and have just been hitting the books to learn more about it. I was interested when i was young but now that im a little older and have a nice job I can afford to get into falconry. Ive always loved the outdoors as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me being brand new? Im into my first book learning the basics. Its called Falconry: Art and Practice by Emma Ford. Its the only book that my library has. Does anyone know of a good book i can look into that would help me prepare for the test? Suggestions for a newbie would be great. Also do you get a sponsor before or after the test?

Carl
    Carl,

You certainly can start working with a sponsor at any time. Some states, like mine, require a sponsor's signature on the license application as part of the process before you take your test.

I began falconry in Utah, and took the test there before I had an official sponsor. Well, actually I took the test twice - the first person I found to be my sponsor was barking mad. I let several years go by before I tried again.

You sparked my curiosity, so I looked up when the Utah Falconers hold their social events:
    http://www.diversityinutah.com/events.html

Geoff
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Carl,

You certainly can start working with a sponsor at any time. Some states, like mine, require a sponsor's signature on the license application as part of the process before you take your test.

I began falconry in Utah, and took the test there before I had an official sponsor. Well, actually I took the test twice - the first person I found to be my sponsor was barking mad. I let several years go by before I tried again.

You sparked my curiosity, so I looked up when the Utah Falconers hold their social events:
    http://www.diversityinutah.com/events.html

Geoff
    Hey thanks alot ill check that out. Is the test a difficult one. I would consider myself to be a smart guy and usually dont have problems with tests as I am a student. However right now I might be getting a promotion at work and might move to a grave yard position so Falconry might be on hold if I due get the job. I am curious tho i read on another post some falconery trap there hawks in Sept train and hunt till the end of winter then release and do it all over again next year? Is this right or do some people keep one bird year round?
    Carl

Welcome to NAFEX.net !

Carl I would think Graveyards and Falconry would go great together. You can work at night and hawk during the day then sleep when your dead. Where in Utah do you live? I grew up down there and its a great place to be from, far from!!! As far as the test in my opinion its not that difficult just do some studying of the recommended books and study guides and it should be easy if your good at learning from independent study.

Thread Information