Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet Makya

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Meet Makya

Well, after 2 and a half days of trapping, I have my new RT. Her name is Makya, meaning Lover of the Chase. She weighed 1350g off the trap with a hood on, no crop. The next morning she weighed 1280g. She is short and stocky, with some fat feet. Here are a few pics.

Brandi

Brandi,

I knew you would have one in no time... she looks like another rabbit stompin' machine!!!

Rob

Default New Bird

Brandi:
    Congratulation on your new bird. 70g. drop over night. Interesting.
    Have fun.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Jimmy Guest

Nice looking bird....... the redtail too [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
    How do you pronounce her name?

Nice, powerful looking Red Tail.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Nice looking bird....... the redtail too [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
    How do you pronounce her name?
    Thanks, Jimmy! Her name is pronounced Mah kī ah.
    Brandi

Default Re: New Bird

Quote Originally Posted by everetkhorton
    Brandi:
    Congratulation on your new bird. 70g. drop over night. Interesting.
    Have fun.
    Not sure where it went, but she was weighed twice both times. The hood weighed 16g and she was hooded the first time, but not the next morning, so her drop was actually about 54g. She was at 1250g this morning with about 20g food yesterday. She is already taking tidbits from tweezers, leaning over to get them, and I will try to get her to bend down for food on the fist later.
    Brandi

Congrats. She is a nice looking bird.

WTG Brandi - keep us posted. She looks great.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Congrats Brandi...I sure love the 1st few weeks with a freshly trapped RT. There are few things like it on earth, imho...I wish you both much success.
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Brandi ,

What happened with your knee surgery??? all is good i hope!!!

Rob

Well, she just ate on the fist very aggressively. I also have her drinking water out of a glass. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I have never seen a bird that drinks so much!

And Rob, the insurance company is being difficult, so not sure when I will be having surgery now. So, my friends have offered to help me with hunting before and after the surgery so I could get a bird and complete my apprenticeship this season.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl
    Well, she just ate on the fist very aggressively. I also have her drinking water out of a glass. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I have never seen a bird that drinks so much!

And Rob, the insurance company is being difficult, so not sure when I will be having surgery now. So, my friends have offered to help me with hunting before and after the surgery so I could get a bird and complete my apprenticeship this season.

Hope it works out... damn insurance companys LOL . At least the new RT is getting on with it...and keep them friends around too !!!

Rob

Congrats Brandi! Great looking bird! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Keep us posted with pics and updates!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

She is a beaut Brandi....and a hoss too.

Horath Guest

Great Lookin' Brandi! Bird... [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Very nice! Congrats on the new bird. I hope your surgery works out perfectly with regards to timing and falconry. I am STILL waiting on some license issues to work out. I think I am going to have to send a pair of birds back to GA, because I am DONE building and I have 3 pairs and 4 chambers and two falconry slots. Doesn't quite add up even though the falcon will never see a mew. I just built a nice shelf perch for the falcon. OH well..................................I can't wait to be able to trap. It may be a a few days still or a couple of weeks. I hope not!
    Thanks,
    Wes

We have a lot of permit issues around here [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]
    Just keep on them about it. And good luck trapping...you are in a great place for it!!!
    Brandi

Well, Makya is proving to be a handful! She is VERY feisty and is a real biter! She will let me do anything I want to her feet, but I move my hand within biting range and she will get me. I take a drink of water and she will bite at the bottle. She has even bitten my head a few times. And for some reason she has started biting my hair. Has done it several times in the last few minutes [smilie=dontknow.gif] She has an evil look that my last bird didn't have...this bird wants to kill me!!! LOL

But, she did lean as far as she could to take tidbits today and actually jumped to the fist for the last tidbit, so something is right [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] She still bates like crazy, though. I guess this is payback since I had such a calm bird last season.
    Brandi

Well, Makya is proving to be a handful! She is VERY feisty and is a real biter! She will let me do anything I want to her feet, but I move my hand within biting range and she will get me. I take a drink of water and she will bite at the bottle. She has even bitten my head a few times. And for some reason she has started biting my hair. Has done it several times in the last few minutes [smilie=dontknow.gif] She has an evil look that my last bird didn't have...this bird wants to kill me!!! LOL

But, she did lean as far as she could to take tidbits today and actually jumped to the fist for the last tidbit, so something is right [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] She still bates like crazy, though. I guess this is payback since I had such a calm bird last season.
    This bird I have now was like that - but she's coming around. Ahe would bite anything and just hang there biting and feet dangling. It's alot easier with a small bird to ignore those - she drew blood a few times - I still flinch thinking she's gonna get me.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

Jimmy Guest

Brandi,
    Find a small flat rock, and put it between your fingers. Let her bite it a few times and she may quit biting your hands after she realizes that it doesn't do any good and doesn't get a reaction from you.

Good idea Jimmy - on my kbird I use my fingernail. Same idea - smaller scale.
    Kim Mauldin

"Believe"
    Marian & Bob Bailey

I was told to try the rock thing yesterday, too. I am going rock hunting
    Brandi

I trapped a bird last year early and had her taking tidbits the first night. But she was a bitting fool. put leather work gloves on to just let her bit them over and over and over. I finally just let her go.
    Kelly Baker (Father, Falconer and Fine figure of a man)

"Sooner born Sooner breed when I die Ill be Sooner dead"

Well, the rock thing worked...she pretty much stopped biting. Every once in a while she will try to bite me, but she still will bite at other people that try to touch her.

She is progressing very well. I had her outside on the creance and she flew 25 feet at 1170g. Not bad for a week. [smilie=banana.gif]
    Brandi

I am very jealous. Conformation is everything to me, and that bird has it. Feather perfect to. Very nice. My apprentice named his last bird Makya. What are the chances? Isaac

Here are a few pics I took this morning.

Brandi

Default Makya

Brandi:
    Very nice looking bird. Her feed are nice a heavy. Have fun and keep us posted on her progress. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Another update: Makya flew 111 feet on the creance this evening. She does not like the lure...she is afraid of it! [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I fed her a mouse on it tonight and I had to split it open and expose the guts and she would lean over and steal bites off of it. I fed her some more tidbits on the lure and she did the same thing. She landed in front of the lure and walked close to it and then leaned over and took the tidbits. Then she jumped up on my head! This bird is just nuts!!!!!

I am also having a hard time finding a hood that fits her. I have 5 hoods and have cut on 2 trying to get them to fit. She has a big head! I have tried several other hoods on her, but they are all too small. They are either too small in general, or the beak openings rub on her beak. The first hood I had on her rubbed a sore, but I caught it just as it was forming and it was gone 2 days later. This is 2 birds in a row that have had big heads!
    Brandi

Another update: Makya flew 111 feet on the creance this evening. She does not like the lure...she is afraid of it! [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I fed her a mouse on it tonight and I had to split it open and expose the guts and she would lean over and steal bites off of it. I fed her some more tidbits on the lure and she did the same thing. She landed in front of the lure and walked close to it and then leaned over and took the tidbits. Then she jumped up on my head! This bird is just nuts!!!!!

Brandi:
    She is just not there yet. She knows the fist because of food, now she has to learn the lure is food also.

I am also having a hard time finding a hood that fits her. I have 5 hoods and have cut on 2 trying to get them to fit. She has a big head! I have tried several other hoods on her, but they are all too small. They are either too small in general, or the beak openings rub on her beak. The first hood I had on her rubbed a sore, but I caught it just as it was forming and it was gone 2 days later. This is 2 birds in a row that have had big heads!

Brandi:
    She is just not there yet. She knows the fist because of food, now she has to learn the lure is food also.
    I know Ev...it is my fault. I did this with my last bird, too. I get so wrapped up in them jumping to the fist that I completely forget about the lure until I start creance flying. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I am really gonna work on the lure the rest of the week.
    Brandi

Brandi:
    I know Ev...it is my fault. I did this with my last bird, too. I get so wrapped up in them jumping to the fist that I completely forget about the lure until I start creance flying. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I am really gonna work on the lure the rest of the week.
    Brandi:
    You are no different than any of us. The day that you no longer get excited about training a new bird is the day you should think about hanging it up. IMO

Sounds like a good excuse to start making your own hoods. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

My old RT has a large, long head and I could never buy a hood that fit her. I finally had to practically build a hood on her head to get one to fit. She's so happy with the final result that, now, if I hold the hood in front of her, she will push her face into it and snuggle in. Some birds are just built different.

Your bird sounds like she is doing well. Good luck.
    Dave

Well, I am at a loss as to what to do with this darn bird! This afternoon I had her on the fist for a while and when I went to put her back on her perch, she footed my head. No big deal...I just blew it off as a one time thing. I went to creance her this evening (1160g) and the first 3 flights to the fist were perfect. Then I broke out the lure and she flew straight at my head again then jumped on the lure. I had part of a chicken neck on there, so it took her a while to eat it and she mantled like crazy and chirped the whole time. I did the normal with putting my glove close to her feet so she would learn that I was not going to steal her food. When she was done with that, she jumped right on the fist. I put her back on the perch and this time I did not even get 10 feet before she was flying to me, so I turned around and took her back to the perch. Next time I got about 20 feet away and swung the lure again...again she went for my head. I took her off my head and took her back to the perch. Tried the lure a third time and this time she landed in front of it again and bent over to take the tidbit off. I let her sit on the ground for a few seconds before putting the glove up, hoping she would not come at my head again, and she didn't. I put her back on the perch and again, did not get 10 feet before she was flying to me. Did this 2 more times, so I called it a day. When we got back tot eh house and I put her on the perch, this time she bit the top of my head I am not sure what I am doing wrong with this bird. Any suggestions???
    Brandi

Default Makya

Brandi:
    I only reward the bird gets is when I blow the whisle (spelling?) I the bird come while I am walking away she get nothing. I never want her to come unless I blow the whisle. Did the bird have time to react to the lure before she got to it. Once the bird takes off the perch after the lure and it is half way there put the lure on the ground etc. Give it lots of time to react to it. I never take the bird off the lure I tid bit her and use the whisle and she fly's to the fist. She will look up when she is done. I step on the lure just in case she has a talon hook on the lure. Are you feeding your bird while in the mew off the fist etc? Brandi this works for me and I hope some part of it will work for you.

Thread Information