Thread: tail mount AND leg mount?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tail mount AND leg mount?

so i have narrowed it down to the Micro to fly on my new Merlin. i use Marshall transmitters exclusively. my question is this; can one get a Micro with both leg and tail(will use with a backpack in my case) mounts on the transmitter? i would hate to have to buy 2 transmitters in the event that my Merlin does not take to either neck mounting or the backpack. it would be nice to be able to say, "ok. she wont wear this on her back. lets see if she will wear it on the neck." without having to buy a 2nd transmitter.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Bill,

I am not positive if the micro is the same way as the Scout. However, I am positive that on the Scout they have the spring clip for backpack mount and still have the tab to tie a bewit through to leg mount it. You would simply remove the spring clip off the back and then re-install it when used as a backpack mount. I am pretty sure the only difference in them is that the back side will have 3 small metal tabs sticking up a bit where the spring clip used to be. The leg mount only version would be smooth on the bottom. Talk to Marshall about this, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.
    Dave

yeah, i gotta look at a micro the other night, in-hand. it definitely does NOT have the tab at the top for leg mounting the transmitter(this was obviously a tail mount tx)
    Bill

Default The thinking behind it

Well, the idea on the Micro was all about keeping weight to the absolute minimums, so, we ended up making the tiny antenna ferrule out of aluminum instead of brass, using smaller pitch threads to keep the lid short and . . . removing the bewit loop at the top on the Tail mount version.

Conversely, the Leg (or Neck) mount version is smooth on both sides of the case for safety reasons.

That's why on the new website, we have the detail photos showing the cases of each model, both Leg and Tail versions, top and bottom, so this is better understood before hand.

We thought, while it's a convenience to be able to remove the spring and still use the transmitter as a Leg or Tail mount, it's not ideal to still have the three tiny tiny posts there on the underside, so it's always been thought of as an emergency type thing, not a long-term use that way.

The Scout is the only model where we actually have both options (on the Tail Mount version), since it's used by larger birds and Shortwingers are always changing their minds (just joking). Whereas the Scout Leg mount version has smooth sides and is a dedicated Leg (Neck) mount.

Hope that helps some.
    RB

what would be the safety concerns be for having the transmitter set-up to neck or tail mount?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    what would be the safety concerns be for having the transmitter set-up to neck or tail mount?
    Just that if when you remove the spring, as it's designed to be able to do (by the human), there are three tiny little posts machined into the bottom of the case that remain exposed.

Not a big thing, but if you are going to use it over a longer period and only as a Leg mount, then that wouldn't be as ideal as having the smooth surface found on the Leg mount only version.

That's all.
    RB

Thread Information