And the journey begins...

After an unsuccessful Friday afternoon trapping experience in southern Maryland (~4 hours and no sign of a hawk) I decided to head out on my own once again and try my luck further north near Thurmont. Things certainly looked better as I was quickly counting up the hawks on the way there. Most were safely nestled well out of range within the confines of private property but their were still plenty to try for. The most impressive sized hawk bumped before I could even close 150 yards on foot; alighted in a bare tree almost out of sight and got comfy. Un-discouraged I drove on another few miles. Without even looking a RT buzzed across my windshield and dove down into the median strip. I quickly spun the car around and doubled back on a parallel access road. Gently dropped the trap in the general area I saw the RT cross the road and pulled just over the hill to turn around. As I looked back I saw "her" hitting the trap. I gave her a few minutes to introduce herself to Mittens (the kids named the mouse) and pulled up as soon as I saw her trying to drag the trap. Caught on five nooses, one around each tarsus and three on the toes. She was all piss and vinegar and conveyed her general dislike of the experience with a bite on the thumb. Fair enough.

Welcome Esmé...bear with me...

40.25 oz

Esme's trapping location by leeinhisroom, on Flickr

Esmé on trap by leeinhisroom, on Flickr

Esmé in hand by leeinhisroom, on Flickr

Esmé Red-tailed Hawk by leeinhisroom, on Flickr