I’ve been lurking on NAFE & a few other boards for a while now & thought I indroduce myself.
From the time I was a child I’ve been fascinated by raptors but until a little while ago hadn’t even thought about falconry as a sport/ hobby/ recreational activity I could actually engage in. What an eye opener it’s been to read about this fascinating life style!
I’ve been garnering every bit of information I can off the web as well as ordering several books & my state’s (Montana) falconry information packet. I honestly had no idea such a fascinating sport was alive a thriving in US. I find it especially intriguing that falconry revolves around not only the captive bird’s health & care but also raptor management & regulation as a whole.

Of course, ones reaction is to get involved immediately but I have done quite a bit of research up until now & realize it truly is a life altering decision & should not be entered without careful research & devotion. So, I’ve decided to continue my quest for information & make my decision possibly next year or after I feel I’ve grasped all the variables that go along with falconry.

I do have a couple of questions for the forum members.

1. Are there any members close to Helena Montana & if so would you be willing to visit with me about your experiences in falconry? I’d also be very interested in seeing ones bird(s) & facilities…. tagging along on a hunt, beating bush… etc. would also be very much appreciated.
2. I’ve read about the requirements of the bird’s weight management & how it varies not only from species to species but bird to bird. Have there been any computer programs developed specifically for falconry to track weight, feeding, hunting… etc? Some sort of database that helps crunch numbers to really pinpoint a birds optimum hunting condition? I’m a computer guy by trade & would think a digital log book of sorts would be a great tool for maintaining a hunting bird.

That’s it for now & thanks in advance for the help!
T.J.