Thread: Hi there from South-East GA.

Default Hi there from South-East GA.

Hi my name is Joy and I am interested in falconry - or owlery (?)

Is there anyone in GA who keeps owls? I was just wondering, and I'm not getting a falcon, hawk, or owl until I have the resources (mews, separate freezer for training mice and rats, land that I can fly it on etc.) and contacts for everything and everyone needed (i.e. Veterinarians, food supply stores, etc.). I'm really probably going to wait to get my bird after I graduate vet school -I'm going to specialize in exotics that many people avoid; like herpatiles, birds (including raptors and wild birds) and wildlife.- but I am wondering if there is anyone near Skidaway Island, or South-East Georgia who is willing to apprentice me?

Joy! There are not many people flying owls. Sounds like you have a great deal to do. But you have started in a good place.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Thanks Mr Everet!
    Yeah, I've loved owls for all my life and I want one, but I want to be prepared before I finally get one. If I can find someone who does just falcons and hawks here in Georgia for now, there is a center up near where I'm planning on going to college that houses owls, and I'll volunteer there. However, I have helped work with owls before because of the local avian rehabber, but it wasn't enough to ever make me ready to actually take on the responsibility. My thinking on apprenticing now, even though I don't have the resources to keep one of my own yet, is that you get better with time; the longer you do it, the better you get. I want to be fully prepared to get one when I get it, even if that means just apprenticing until I do have the resources. I don't EVER want to be in the situation where I take it on, only then to find out that I can't care for it properly -I want to give it the best quality of life I possibly can-, so I'm not getting one until I and my mentor (that I don't have yet... :o ) feel I am ready for it. I do have a lot of things do to, but if I put my mind to it, I can do it, but it will take time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Michelle View Post
    Thanks Mr Everet!
    Yeah, I've loved owls for all my life and I want one, but I want to be prepared before I finally get one. If I can find someone who does just falcons and hawks here in Georgia for now, there is a center up near where I'm planning on going to college that houses owls, and I'll volunteer there. However, I have helped work with owls before because of the local avian rehabber, but it wasn't enough to ever make me ready to actually take on the responsibility. My thinking on apprenticing now, even though I don't have the resources to keep one of my own yet, is that you get better with time; the longer you do it, the better you get. I want to be fully prepared to get one when I get it, even if that means just apprenticing until I do have the resources. I don't EVER want to be in the situation where I take it on, only then to find out that I can't care for it properly -I want to give it the best quality of life I possibly can-, so I'm not getting one until I and my mentor (that I don't have yet... :o ) feel I am ready for it. I do have a lot of things do to, but if I put my mind to it, I can do it, but it will take time.
    Where exactly in GA do you live? If you are near Statesboro, then go to the GSU raptor center and look up Steve Hein. He is a wealth of information.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Where exactly in GA do you live? If you are near Statesboro, then go to the GSU raptor center and look up Steve Hein. He is a wealth of information.
    I live out about ten minutes from Skidaway Island State Park, So I'm about an hour from Statesboro. I'm planning on taking pre-vet courses at GSU, so thats really great!

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Michelle View Post
    I live out about ten minutes from Skidaway Island State Park, So I'm about an hour from Statesboro. I'm planning on taking pre-vet courses at GSU, so thats really great!

I lived in Savannah a while. There are a few active falconers there, but if you want a great contact, try him first. Good luck!
    Thanks,
    Wes

Okay, thanks!

Thread Information