Thread: Hi all FROM PA HERE

Smile Hi all FROM PA HERE

Hey everyone name is Steve I'm from Felton, PA (near the PA/MD line I83 area) I am 22 about to graduate college a semester early here in about 5 weeks with a Bachelors in Biology/Zoology. I work at a local Zoo part time right now but hope to have something solid asap. I have always wanted to get into falconry since I was a kid, and have met a few guys that have been more than willing to help me so far. I hope to find a sponsor by early this coming year (Januaryish). I am new to the forum just as the sport, I would like to meet more guys around me that would not mind me going out with them on trips as the season really gets going here soon. And of course learn as much as I possibly can. Hello and CHEERS

Steve,

Welcome to NAFEX! Just a little heads up, you started a thread about transmitters and receivers at 4:56 p.m. and was welcomed by a moderator and given some good advice, one which was to sign all your post. Now here you are with your introduction thread and still are not signing your post. What do you think a potential sponser is going to think if he sees this? Not trying to slam you but man, falconry is all about details.

Also, I doubt if you will be able to start in January as most apprentices spend the spring studying for their test, pass that, and then spend the summer making their mews/weathering area and equipment and then are ready to trap when fall comes. So you might just want to find that sponser and spend this fall and winter going out hunting with him/her and learning.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fred,
    If you go back and read Steve's post, he says he hopes to find a sponsor by January.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    Fred,
    If you go back and read Steve's post, he says he hopes to find a sponsor by January.
    Yeah, I read that! Kind of late for this season, don't you think?
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Yeah, I read that! Kind of late for this season, don't you think?
    If he hooks up with some local falconers now and shows the right attitude there's no reason why someone wouldn't agree to sponsor him by
    "Januaryish".
    Fred Dewey

I don't know Steve at all and I'm not trying to defend him in anyway.

I am tired of reading intro's and then reading beat downs before the newcomer can even get their first step up the ladder.
    All I ask is that we let the moderators take care of the forum rules, unless something is grossly out of hand. Also please try to remember how little we all knew about this sport when we first took an interest in it.

I'm done.
    Fred Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    I don't know Steve at all and I'm not trying to defend him in anyway.

I am tired of reading intro's and then reading beat downs before the newcomer can even get their first step up the ladder.
    All I ask is that we let the moderators take care of the forum rules, unless something is grossly out of hand. Also please try to remember how little we all knew about this sport when we first took an interest in it.

I'm done.
    I am tired of folks being asked to sign their post and then them not doing it and that is all I was trying to get across, plus I was just trying to let him know that most folks try and get their first bird in the fall. But I guess with the new regs, that doesn't really apply anymore. Oh well, I will just quit reminding folks to sign their post and not offer advice and let them figure it out themselves.
    Fred

Welcome to NAFEX! Congratulations on the education and I hope you land a position you enjoy. There is a wealth of knowledge out here. I don't know about PA but in our state the DNR had a list on their website of people who are willing to sponsor. Good luck and take care!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

Cool

Hey guy thanks for everything. I realize it's a little late for this year but then again the permit test can't be taken until spring anyway. I believe I already found a sponsor it just a matter of going out and really getting to know him before I ask. I'm fine with getting my mew build this coming summer and just getting things in gear for next season so I can get my red tail and start. This year I'm all about going out, learning, and having a ton of fun. I appreciate if you guys have advice and if you have critisism, well that too is ok wih me I will overcome that and learn from it as was said above everyone has to start somewhere. I hope to see some of you guys at the PFHT get together in January.

Steve

Welcome Steve and good luck to you.
    Fred Dewey

Welcome Steve, sorry about jumping on you like that. I guess I am tired from walking over a mile today trying to find a gap in a fence after my red-tail caught a squirrel and flew over the fence. LOL Glad to see you are taking your time and are going to get out there with the PA folks this fall, they are a great bunch and you will have a blast with them.
    Fred

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. FredFrogg don't worry about it man. I didnt even realize about the whole signing thing I have actually been trying to figure out how to do the automatic signing thing lol. Anyway, yea I am taking my time because I feel like why rush it, its a life long hobby/sport anyway right? I hope you found that hole. I am sure I will see you guys around the forum more, and maybe even in person sometime.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon13 View Post
    the whole signing thing I have actually been trying to figure out how to do the automatic signing thing

High Steve, go to user CP on the left side of the screen towards the top.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Welcome Steve!

You are in a pretty good area for falconry in PA. When I am "home" I live just 15 mins south of you in Stewartstown, PA. Good luck and if you need any help finding falconers in the area feel free to ask.
    ~Jessica

Steve, some real nice guys & gal falconers in PA. As far as signing your post, I have a hard enough time remembering people real name let alone names like bloodrunner or longeye etc. It is never to late to start down the road with falconry, everyone has there own program. I say, "plan your work and work your plan". JMO
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Welcome to NAFEX Steve.
    Martin

Thread Information