Thread: As promised, here's the new version

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default As promised, here's the new version

This poster captures the emotion and relief felt by a falconer when he finally gets visual contact with a lost
    falcon after a long telemetry chase into the sage, shown here just before dark in the gathering snowstorm.

Created in the classic art style of 1920's American Sportsman product advertising, Artist and Marshall Radio Customer Tim Jessell has produced something suitable for framing as an enjoyable Collector's item of your own, in your hawkhouse or Mud Room.

Customers may call us for a free poster, to be included with an order made or sent by itself (one per customer).

801-936-9000

It's now been added to the Website on the Accessories Page.

RB

I just love that old fashioned storytelling style of art. I am looking to collect women in the outdoors type of art.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Just wondering...
    Have you ever thought about using the word "her" instead of "it" for your posters? I think it would convey a more personal connection to our loved raptors, instead of "it".

Just my .02 cents but this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the previous poster using the word "it".

I love the artwork and never fly w/o my Marshall Scout.
    Joe Ballone
    Upper Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by jballone View Post
    Just wondering...
    Have you ever thought about using the word "her" instead of "it" for your posters? I think it would convey a more personal connection to our loved raptors, instead of "it".

Just my .02 cents but this was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the previous poster using the word "it".

Yes, you're right, that would be a lot more personal. And I think it does sound better.

But then we might have to have four versions: Shortwingers/Longwingers and then Tiercel and Female versions of each.

Already had one complaint that we used a Setter in this one and not an English Pointer!

But I really like the sentiment expressed either way, whether male or female, hawk or falcon (or dog) . . . that "we'll be there to help you find it" in those adverse conditions that we all experience.

Has to be reliable when so many other things can go wrong . . .

RB

Maybe the guy just wants his transmitter back?

Bryan Kimsey

Use: We'll help you find them.

Sounds more personal than 'it' to me.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Just wondering...

Joe really has a great point here! We often call our birds "she" or "her" even if the sex is unknown. This is one area where female has always been seen as good LOL. I could give a care for the dog (not). LOL.
    It would make your point be heard more truly to the heart IMHO.
    But, great poster. Expect a PM LOL.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Joe really has a great point here! We often call our birds "she" or "her" even if the sex is unknown. This is one area where female has always been seen as good LOL. I could give a care for the dog (not). LOL.
    It would make your point be heard more truly to the heart IMHO.
    But, great poster. Expect a PM LOL.
    How about covering both genders in one phrase, yet still be more personal with:

"We'll help you find 'em"

RB

Quote Originally Posted by RLBagley View Post

RB

Perfect, Robert!
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

RB
    That works.

You could also alternate sex (him/her) from poster to poster based on the scene and raptor. Either way, I'll take full credit for this poster improvement!

Keep up the good work on your products!
    Joe Ballone
    Upper Michigan

If we purchase our Marshal products through a vendor such as Mikes, is the free offer still good?
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

Nice poster with that old fashioned beautiful earthy look to it. To bad your telemetry gear doesn't follow suit, you have to admit that star wars looking black finish on your gear does look a little tacky next to the plumage of a BOP all falconers admire so much. I love the rich leather look of some hoods and I don't think I would find a back plastic looking one very attractive. (but if it fit really well I might could live with it)
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
    Nice poster with that old fashioned beautiful earthy look to it. To bad your telemetry gear doesn't follow suit, you have to admit that star wars looking black finish on your gear does look a little tacky next to the plumage of a BOP all falconers admire so much. I love the rich leather look of some hoods and I don't think I would find a back plastic looking one very attractive. (but if it fit really well I might could live with it)
    This is a unique observation, as a hood and transmitter are quite different things. As is a swivel, or grommets, other metallic things we use as part of our hawking gear.

But, I have seen people make a little leather cover for their leg-mount transmitters.

We take considerable and costly pains here to carefully encase the electronic components necessary for telemetry inside anodized aircraft aluminum, both to protect them as well as to look more like a little piece of jewelry. And, no more tape or heat shrink tubing to hold the battery inside, like the old days.

If you could wave a Magic Wand or design a totally different transmitter case, material and color, what would you have in order that it not be tacky?

Thanks,
    RB

This is a unique observation, as a hood and transmitter are quite different things. As is a swivel, or grommets, other metallic things we use as part of our hawking gear.

But, I have seen people make a little leather cover for their leg-mount transmitters.

We take considerable and costly pains here to carefully encase the electronic components necessary for telemetry inside anodized aircraft aluminum, both to protect them as well as to look more like a little piece of jewelry. And, no more tape or heat shrink tubing to hold the battery inside, like the old days.

If you could wave a Magic Wand or design a totally different transmitter case, material and color, what would you have in order that it not be tacky?

Thanks,
    RB
    Sorry to have ruffled you a little. I can't say that your competition is much better, I'm not in the design arena but I think there is a picture of a pretty merlin flying with a back pack on somewhere recently on this forum sporting a Marshall transmitter. Great photo of a natural beauty but, I think that the space age thing on her back detracts from her appearance.
    But hey, that is only from my point of view perhaps other people would enjoy the clash of humanity with nature. By themselves your equipment is pretty like a new computer or something man made.
    One of my old girlfiends took one look at me one day and said "What were you blind this morning when you got dressed?" and looking myself over I had to admit she was right my clothes really did clash with each other. Hiking boots and camo pants and a bright Hawaiin shirt didn't look so hot together. Anyway my previous post was a knee jerk reaction. Sorry.
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
    Sorry to have ruffled you a little. I can't say that your competition is much better, I'm not in the design arena but I think there is a picture of a pretty merlin flying with a back pack on somewhere recently on this forum sporting a Marshall transmitter. Great photo of a natural beauty but, I think that the space age thing on her back detracts from her appearance.
    But hey, that is only from my point of view perhaps other people would enjoy the clash of humanity with nature. By themselves your equipment is pretty like a new computer or something man made.
    One of my old girlfiends took one look at me one day and said "What were you blind this morning when you got dressed?" and looking myself over I had to admit she was right my clothes really did clash with each other. Hiking boots and camo pants and a bright Hawaiin shirt didn't look so hot together. Anyway my previous post was a knee jerk reaction. Sorry.
    OK, not a problem. I was just wondering what you might see in it's place, that's all. We all wish we could have a lot less "stuff" attached to, or hanging off our birds. So you're no doubt expressing a common sentiment.

I remember when tail mounts first came in to more widespread usage, it was a real mental barrier to many of us at first, to actually crimp some metallic thing onto the tail ... in such a permanent way, for the very sentiments you mention. Up to then it was only leather bewits, rubber bands, etc.

But mounting methods have continued to improve and we're accustomed to the need for more failsafe ways to attach foreign objects to an active hunting bird.

So, now I cringe for different reasons when I see birds in some of the great photography we're getting these days: a long antenna hanging down at a 90 degree angle from a leg mount or long jesses still attached, a transmitter that's too big or too high-profile on the tail, or brightly colored thing drawing attention to itself.

When conceiving a transmitter design, you first decide on the battery for shape and it's milliampere hours, which then dictates the shape and size you can reduce things to. But also, each of our transmitters designs has evolved to better match a particular mounting method in the hopes that it better matches and "fits" the position where it's mounted.

With tail mounts or the TrackPack, you often find that they just disappear altogether under the body/covert feathers with just a tiny bit of the shortened antenna visible to verify there's even a transmitter there. And that's nice when that happens, also for the very reasons you suggested.

So, after all's said and done, thanks for your observations on that. . . .
    RB

Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
    If we purchase our Marshal products through a vendor such as Mikes, is the free offer still good?
    Yes indeed . . .

Thumbs up Outstanding

I love the 1920's look of this poster. Right up there with the Winchester and Remington posters of that era.
    "I do invite you to-morrow morning to my house to breakfast; after, we'll a-birding together. I have a fine hawk for the bush." The Merry Wives of Windsor, III, iii, 243 Shakespeare

Thumbs up Well done

Hi Robert

I received both posters in the mail today, they arrived in perfect condition. Your artist has really caught the excitement, and relief of finding an errant bird, especially when the chips are down.

Thank you so much, Terry
    "I do invite you to-morrow morning to my house to breakfast; after, we'll a-birding together. I have a fine hawk for the bush." The Merry Wives of Windsor, III, iii, 243 Shakespeare

The poster looks good to me Robert, I too like the old fashioned style.

Thread Information